Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate agent wants copies of our passports - is this the norm?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Insisting on such things as passport copies etc on top of references from past landlords and work is just a form of intimidation practised by some landlords and agents much like years ago when student bedsit slumlords were often guards and would arrive in uniform on rent days to bolster their authority over their lowly tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

If the prospective tenant doesn't like the terms then they are free to search elsewhere.

And they will. After all you will have given them a happy escape from a dodgy situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Insisting on such things as passport copies etc on top of references from past landlords and work is just a form of intimidation practised by some landlords and agents much like years ago when student bedsit slumlords were often guards and would arrive in uniform on rent days to bolster their authority over their lowly tenants.

I'm guessing that you are a tenant and not a landlord.
    Could be wrong though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

bumper234 wrote: »
    true, you also possibly lose out on good tenants due to that attitude. Heads up....if someone is going to do a runner they usually don't care what info you have on them.

Shortage of rentals in Dublin, so tennants who didn't supply their id would be disregarded. I'd never ask to see it, but then again I'd only rent to a certain type of person.

Rental shortage landlords rules, rental oversupply tenants rules, simples!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I have never had anyone say that they would not give a copy of their ID.

Thank you for the heads up - it might come in useful some day.

You still havent answered how you guarantee the security of such documents when given to you? Are you fully to speed on data protection laws? Do you know how to handle such information securely and legally?

• Advertisement

djimi wrote: »
    You still havent answered how you guarantee the security of such documents when given to you? Are you fully to speed on data protection laws? Do you know how to handle such information securely and legally?

If the tenants have a serious problem with me then they can get on to the PRTB and they'll be with them just as soon as they can...

If prospective tenants started asking for this/that before they even signed the lease I'd run them. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

If the tenants have a serious problem with me then they can get on to the PRTB and they'll be with them just as soon as they can...

If prospective tenants started asking for this/that before they even signed the lease I'd run them. End of.

You sound charming, Thankfully there are not too many of you around with this unreasonable attitude.

Im not sure that you appreciate how potentially serious an issue data protection is. If you run afoul of data protection laws its not a matter for the PRTB; youll find yourself facing some serious charges and not just a slap on the wrist from the PRTB.

If you dont know what you are doing with regards data protection and ensuring the security of the data which you request then you would be well advised to stop collecting such information.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

I dont even have a passport. Its not the norm, and there isnt much that they can do about it if you say no.

Yes there is. They needn't rent the property to you. I don't see what your problem is. The banks take a copy when you open an account. Isn't there as much risk with them as with a landlord

bumper234 wrote: »
    You sound charming, Thankfully there are not too many of you around with this unreasonable attitude.

It's not show friends
    It's called show business

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Yes there is. They needn't rent the property to you. I don't see what your problem is. The banks take a copy when you open an account. Isn't there as much risk with them as with a landlord

Banks have rigorous controls on personal information. A one-man estate agents outfit is not going to have anything like the controls in place. I just know my passport scan is going to lie unencrypted on her windows based work computer for god knows how long.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Banks adhere to data protection laws and regulations. Joe landlord probably doesn't and will dump a copy of your passport in his bin when he doesn't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Banks have data protection policies and a full department to ensure compliance. You agree to their data protection policiies explicitly when you interact with them. (It's that box you tick saying you read and agree to the terms and conditions)

As they request the information they become a "data controller" for the purposes of the data protection legislation.
    I can't see how any landlord requesting this sort of information from prospective tenants would be treated any different. It is business afterall.

It is up to the landlord to understand all the implications of doing business in this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Its abundantly clear you literally do not have a clue what you are doing. You are obviously in breach of data protection laws which have come to the fore in the last 3 years alone.

Realistically you need to go and educate yourself on this OR stop asking for copies of official documents when you do not have any legitimate case for them. Of course you are entitled to ask to see them. But you have no case for their storage, and id garner have no compliance in their storage either.

Its actually both amusing and scary in equal measure how blase you are coming across about individuals official documents.

listermint wrote: »
    Its abundantly clear you literally do not have a clue what you are doing. You are obviously in breach of data protection laws which have come to the fore in the last 3 years alone.

Realistically you need to go and educate yourself on this OR stop asking for copies of official documents when you do not have any legitimate case for them. Of course you are entitled to ask to see them. But you have no case for their storage, and id garner have no compliance in their storage either.

Its actually both amusing and scary in equal measure how blase you are coming across about individuals official documents.

Thank you so much for your advice on this matter.
    I'll file it in the appropriate section

Not even remotely.

I trust that a financial institute or the likes will know what they are doing when I provide them with my personal information. I have no such assurances when it comes to dealing with Joe Soap who I have just met from an advert on Daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Im not sure that you appreciate how potentially serious an issue data protection is. If you run afoul of data protection laws its not a matter for the PRTB; youll find yourself facing some serious charges and not just a slap on the wrist from the PRTB.

If you dont know what you are doing with regards data protection and ensuring the security of the data which you request then you would be well advised to stop collecting such information.

This thread just goes to show the sort of cowboys involved in the rental business in Ireland...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I rent out some houses.
    If someone didn't give me a copy of photo ID (passport or driving licence) I wouldn't sign them up and would look for someone else.
    Can you clarify - do you provide them a copy of your ID and proof that you own the property?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

listermint wrote: »
    But you have no case for their storage, and id garner have no compliance in their storage either.

If a landlord took a copy of the passport there would have to be agreement from the passport holder therefore they can store it for future use if they need. The passport holder can only enquire periodically that the information is kept up to date and to tell the landlord not to offer the information to third parties.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Can you clarify - do you provide them a copy of your ID and proof that you own the property?

So many people don't think of this issue when renting. It may seem far-fetched, but this actually happened to me when I was very young. One of the first flats I rented turned out to be owned by someone else. The real owner let himself in one day unexpectedly (he lived abroad or something) and almost had a heart-attack to see a few young ones living there. The guy that rented out his home to us was a caretaker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

he seems to be avoiding the question? If you are a landlord then you are required by law to follow the laws on data protection the same as any legitimate business.

snubbleste wrote: »

I have never been asked for these documents and wouldn't provide them if I was asked.
    If a prospective tenant does not like my terms the door is over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I'm guessing that you are a tenant and not a landlord.
    Could be wrong though!

I'm guessing you own a load of rat infested bedsits and either are or were a garda sargent or get a garda or retired garda to collect the rent.
    Could be wrong though.

You don't have a clue about your legal obligations as a data controller, you should educate yourself before winding up in prison, wouldn't like to be an ex garda going into the joy!

I have never been asked for these documents and wouldn't provide them if I was asked.
    If a prospective tenant does not like my terms the door is over there.

It's the mentality of landlords such as the above who think they're above the law that's largely responsible for our culture of unusually high lvls of house owner ship (and the still somewhat prevalent 'rent is dead money' attitude) in Ireland.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I'm guessing you own a load of rat infested bedsits and either are or were a garda sargent or get a garda or retired garda to collect the rent.
    Could be wrong though.

You don't have a clue about your legal obligations as a data controller, you should educate yourself before winding up in prison, wouldn't like to be an ex garda going into the joy!

lol this guy is a hoot, he's already posted he'd physically run them out if they asked questions before signing the lease. Either he's a complete and utter headbanger, or he's just some troll here trying to wind people up.

If he is a garda, he can probably pull a few strings with the Frank Underwood wannabe in the Dept of Justice to avoid going to jail though ;)

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    lol this guy is a hoot, he's already posted he'd physically run them out if they asked questions before signing the lease. Either he's a complete and utter headbanger, or he's just some troll here trying to wind people up.

I was thinking he might be trolling there a while back, but there are so many awful 'landlords' on boards this one could well be credible.

Rasmus wrote: »
    I was thinking he might be trolling there a while back, but there are so many awful 'landlords' on boards this one could well be credible.

yeah, some of these chancers are obviously exploiting the housing shortage in the Dublin area to turn desperate tenants into doormats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

While I'd be reluctant simply on the grounds of 'why' I have to say people seem to have this crazy notion that once someone gains your passport details they can do all sorts of wicked things with that.
    What these things are nobody quite knows but apparently it's really dangerous ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

Boskowski wrote: »
    While I'd be reluctant simply on the grounds of 'why' I have to say people seem to have this crazy notion that once someone gains your passport details they can do all sorts of wicked things with that.
    What these things are nobody quite knows but apparently it's really dangerous ;)
    Yes indeed

• Advertisement

Boskowski wrote: »

If the person holding the 'harmless' photocopy mislays it or doesn't destroy it, it opens the owner of the document to identity theft.

Advertisement