Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferred funds to wrong account

Options
  • 19-02-2014 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi,
    I recently transferred funds to the wrong account by mistake through internet banking. I was trying to send it to a joint account i have with my fiancee and ended up transferring it to another old joint account. I wrote a letter to my bank AIB and they transferred it to BOI where the recipients account is, but BOI have returned letter to me saying to contact the account holder myself, but i dont have contact details for this person anymore. Surely BOI should do more to contact the person? Is there any way i can get this money back? If i do manage to contact the person do they have to return the funds?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Are you party to the "old joint account" or is it the name of two other individuals?

If the latter then their bank should write to them stating that a transfer has been made to the account in error and requesting their authority to debit same.

They're not obliged to pay it back
    but

refusal to do the decent thing may be noted by their bank / relationship manager and cause them difficulties in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Bank's not obliged to do anything, account holder isn't obliged to return the money. Awful shame but true. Try get in contact with them and hope they're sound about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Dante79

Thanks for your reply, i find it hard to believe that the recipient is entitled to keep money that obviously dosent belong to them, are you sure about this, or is this your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

You're not entitled to keep money that doesn't belong to you, just because it was lodged in error to your bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Dante79 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply, i find it hard to believe that the recipient is entitled to keep money that obviously dosent belong to them, are you sure about this, or is this your opinion?
    murphaph wrote: »
    You're not entitled to keep money that doesn't belong to you, just because it was lodged in error to your bank account.
    1. The recipient of the transfer might not know where the funds came from.
    2. The recipient of the transfer might not have online banking and not know it is there.

Once contacted, if the do not willingly return the funds, you might have to take legal action.

• Advertisement
Advertisement