Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AYA no2.

Options
  • 19-02-2014 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have an interest in acquiring an AYA no 2 26" barrels , s/s . I shoot with a no 4 presently 28" and feel 26" would be neater for woodcock . appreciate feed back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Clancy,

Good choice as would a XXV - a 25-inch barrelled gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

I wouldn't mind either of those guns! You can't beat a setup like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

You are moving up a notch in terms of quality; both the No. 2 and the XXV are sidelocks, whereas your No.4 is a boxlock. The AyA No.2 is a very good gun, technically excellent, a copy of a Holland & Holland. The XXV also is a very good gun, a copy of a Churchill.
    Both the above models are suitable, although you might find the No.2 will swing more fluidly and you will not be inclined to ‘poke’ when shooting, always a danger in a shorter-barrelled gun. Assuming that the No2 you are looking at fits you, the most important thing for woodcock will be the chokes. Many No. 2’s are choked for driven game which some will find too tight for woodcock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Clancy d

Great feed back, thanks. My no 4 is a great gun purchased 36 years ago and used extensively over the years. I fancy side lock as you can check the action easily but also realise that you need to be care full and not loose side plate and screw- seen it to happen on 3 different occasions to colleagues. Are the XXV and no 2 in the same quality range ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Rosahane

You are moving up a notch in terms of quality; both the No. 2 and the XXV are sidelocks, whereas your No.4 is a boxlock. The AyA No.2 is a very good gun, technically excellent, a copy of a Holland & Holland. The XXV also is a very good gun, a copy of a Churchill.
    Both the above models are suitable, although you might find the No.2 will swing more fluidly and you will not be inclined to ‘poke’ when shooting, always a danger in a shorter-barrelled gun. Assuming that the No2 you are looking at fits you, the most important thing for woodcock will be the chokes. Many No. 2’s are choked for driven game which some will find too tight for woodcock.

The XXV is a lovely gun. My Uncle had one (my cousin now owns it) and it's lovely to shoot. I got an Arthur Allen boxlock from another Uncle :)

While my cousin got his fathers guns, including a beautiful Holland & Holland which he sold as he shoots very little, I got my Uncles's signed first edition copy of Game Shooting by Robert Churchill. It's all about shooting with a Churchill 25. It cost 42 shillings in April 1955, expensive in its day but worth a lot more now!

Might be worth your while giving Pat in Hilltop a call. He had (I think) an No. 2 and he also has some very nice English side locks which mightn't be hugely more expensive than an Aya.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Clancy d wrote: »
    Are the XXV and no 2 in the same quality range ?
    In terms of quality AyA make only good guns – it’s just that some are more beautiful / refined than others. There are two versions of the XXV, one is a sidelock, and the other is a boxlock. The boxlock is simpler to make, less moving parts and so is cheaper than the sidelock .
    Comparing the No2 and the XXV sidelocks, both have automatic ejectors, chopperlump barrels, double intercepting sears, automatic safety and cocking indicators. I think – need to check – both have the same chrome nickel barrels.
    The AyA No. 2 is its best selling model and the XXV sidelock is about the same price (about double that of the No.4 when new). Side by sides have become less popular as there has been a fad for some time to buy over&unders, so there is great value out there. I’ve heard that in the UK there is a start to a swing back to sxs’s. In terms of resale ability the No.2 would be easier to shift as some have a prejudice against shorter barrels, so a s/l XXV should be a little cheaper than a No.2.
    Rosahane wrote: »
    The XXV is a lovely gun. My Uncle had one (my cousin now owns it) and it's lovely to shoot. I got an Arthur Allen boxlock from another Uncle ..........got my Uncles's signed first edition copy of Game Shooting by Robert Churchill. It's all about shooting with a Churchill 25. It cost 42 shillings in April 1955, expensive in its day but worth a lot more now!
    Nice uncles! I’d several, was promised quite a bit by one but got SFA when he died. Arthur Allan was started about 1850 in Glasgow and made some nice guns - they also had a fishing side to the business and their reels are very collectable. Churchill’s book is a great read but a signed copy should be locked away! You could probably buy an AyA No. 2 with the price you’d get for it at auction. There would be a huge demand for it in the US. I visited Churchills Shooting Ground in High Wycombe just over a year ago and they had – out of a hundred or so guns for sale – just a few sxs’s, everything was o/u.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Nice uncles! I’d several, was promised quite a bit by one but got SFA when he died. Arthur Allan was started about 1850 in Glasgow and made some nice guns - they also had a fishing side to the business and their reels are very collectable. Churchill’s book is a great read but a signed copy should be locked away! You could probably buy an AyA No. 2 with the price you’d get for it at auction. There would be a huge demand for it in the US. I visited Churchills Shooting Ground in High Wycombe just over a year ago and they had – out of a hundred or so guns for sale – just a few sxs’s, everything was o/u.

The XXV is a side lock and a really beautiful gun, lovely wood and engraving. It was actually far prettier than his Holland & Holland which was the basic grade side lock with plain side plates.

Yes, I appreciate the relative rarity of the book. Unfortunately it is not pristine - a few tears to the DJ. I got a couple of other books as well, next best is Gough Thomas's Gun Book.

My Allan was built in 1928 and bought secondhand in their shop by my Uncle sometime in the 50's. It got a lot of use by him but is in very good condition with only some wear to the blueing on the locks. Just over six pounds weight and fits me with a slip on extension on the stock.

It's well worth having a look in Hilltop if you get the chance, Pat has some nice old guns. However persuading him to sell them might be an issue :)

Apologies to the OP for derailing his thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Was in Navan a few weeks ago picking up my gun, and they had a nice sidelock AYA, but don't know if it was a No2 or not. Not a xxv anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭pastense

Clancy d wrote: »
    I have an interest in acquiring an AYA no 2 26" barrels , s/s . I shoot with a no 4 presently 28" and feel 26" would be neater for woodcock . appreciate feed back.
    Agree it would be neater for woodcock but I would caution you to try shooting with a 26" gun before you wade in.
    I think its easier to change to a longer barrel than vice versa.
    Also its a fact that any 'master eye' issues can come to the fore with shorter barrels.
    Now I'm not trying to put you off but I would say to try one before you part with the cash.
    No amount of good timber and engraving will make up for not being comfortable shooting it.

Good point and could be a bigger issue with 25" XXV, I will still however hold onto my no 4 x 28" as an insurance - no point in trying to off load it as it wont realise its value in any case, too many miles up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 centre

AYA xxv was designed for woodcock/snipe type shooting as a very similar gun to the churchill. A fast handling 25" barrell with a raised churchill type rib .
    AYA nr 2 was not designed for this type of shooting. It was designed for more general shooting with a few differant specs available to cover a wider audience ie 26" 28" barrels.
    You know what they say about 'jack of all trades' !!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Aya xxv

I got a xxv from my wife for my 40th. One season done will never change again. Boxlock dt ej apparently according to aya it's a deluxe with higher grade wood and engraving etc. if you see one email aya with the serial no and they'll get back with all the specs. No probs with long shots ( as my long suffering shooting buddy will attest to) " for gods sake the dog'll be knackered" etc. It's choked 1/4 & 3/4 and I use 30g7s in the open and 30 / 32g 6s in the choke. Can't wait for the pigeons to ramp up. Although it'll be a bit different from the old benelli! Can't recommend the aya highly enough

Good for you to team up with a gun you are happy with and a wife that does good gifts.

Advertisement