Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

faulty tablet

Options
  • 19-02-2014 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭

looking for advise, my oh got me a tablet for xmas, she bought it in late November from Argos, After two weeks of use it wouldn't turn on. Because it was outside 28 days I said I would just send it to lenovo myself rather then go back to argos

I sent for repair and after a 3 week turn around got it back, a week later won't turn on . Rang lenovo said had to be sent back for repair, which i have booked back in again for repair so another 3 week turn around, they sent out dockets for courier , courier collects it is then sent to uk for repair and then back to me .

What are my rights as I didn't go to argos straight away, I don't want a refund I want a working unit. I explained to lenovo how frustrating it is sending something for repair and it not been repaired correctly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,410 ✭✭✭✭noodler

looking for advise, my oh got me a tablet for xmas, she bought it in late November from Argos, After two weeks of use it wouldn't turn on. Because it was outside 28 days I said I would just send it to lenovo myself rather then go back to argos

I sent for repair and after a 3 week turn around got it back, a week later won't turn on . Rang lenovo said had to be sent back for repair, which i have booked back in again for repair so another 3 week turn around, they sent out dockets for courier , courier collects it is then sent to uk for repair and then back to me .

What are my rights as I didn't go to argos straight away, I don't want a refund I want a working unit. I explained to lenovo how frustrating it is sending something for repair and it not been repaired correctly

My understanding is the shop were technically wrong to force you to send it back yourself.

They should have offered a repair, replacement or refund (its a grey area over which option is offered and accepted but you hammer it out with them).

Even after a year, you'd still be looking for Argos for satisfaction tbh - not the manufacturer.

You are not being charged for this I assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

noodler wrote: »
    My understanding is the shop were technically wrong to force you to send it back yourself.

They should have offered a repair, replacement or refund (its a grey area over which option is offered and accepted but you hammer it out with them).

Even after a year, you'd still be looking for Argos for satisfaction tbh - not the manufacturer.

that's where it's grey because I went to manufacturer because I knew all they would of done(argos) is send it back for repair so I said I'd send it back myself so it would be a quicker turnaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

noodler wrote: »

It's not Argos' fault. The OP didn't even approach them. As far as Argos are concerned they have a happy customer.
    Because it was outside 28 days I said I would just send it to lenovo myself rather then go back to argos

slimjimmc wrote: »
    It's not Argos' fault. The OP didn't even approach them.

Ya I. Went to manufacturer they didn't make me

OP, you should have went to Argos first time around. They are responsible for sorting the problem and would have left you in a much better position after the first repair attempt failed.

I think you have weakened your case by bypassing the seller but it's still worth a shot especially since repairs were made by the manufacturer.
    If you go to Argos I think you'll be back a square one as this is their first time knowing about the problem. Argos would be entitled to send it out for another repair but if that repair was unsuccessful you'ld be entitled to seek a replacement or refund.

It won't hurt to go back to Argos and talk to them about it anyway. They might take the view that if Lenova couldn't fix it then neither could they and just offer a replacement or refund straight up. Just bring proof of purchase, and have your OH nearby in case of the unlikely event they insist on dealing with the purchaser ( technically you have no consumer rights since you didn't buy it).

PS: if your OH paid by card then normally any refund would go back to her.

• Advertisement

I have e-mailed Argos and given them the details plus Lenovos reference so they can follow it up with them if th ey want

I think it would be much better if you into the branch (ideally the one that sold it) and discuss it face to face with the manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

You've made this very complicated for yourself.
    If you'd gone into Argos in the first place they most likely would have handed you a new tablet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

OP this is slightly more complicated than if you had gone directly to Argos with the tablet but all should be fine now that you wish to deal with Argos.

Firstly Argos will most likely be happy for you to have dealt with the manufacturer but they may also try to use that as a way to say the have no obligations towards you now that you went to Lenovo. This is not true! Their obligations to repair replace or refund are still the same.

Lenovo would obviously be competent to repair the tablet so Argos can have no issue with them attempting two repairs, but they might insist on sending the tablet for a third repair.

You have done the right thing by emailing Argos IMO as there is a paper trail with letters/emails and the head office should not tell you that you must now stick with Lenovo while the shop staff might do that.

Remember you have the same rights as before you sent the item to Lenovo for repair and it might even speed Argos up in giving a replacement or refund.

Advertisement