Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My bloody floors!

Options
  • 19-02-2014 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Hi all

Just wondering if any knowledgable landlord (or tenant) would happen to be able to help me out a little.

We've been living in our apartment for just over two years, take excellent care of the place and always have rent paid on time, (in fact we had an inspection with the new letting agency that took over and they said it was one of the cleanest, nicest apartments they had seen). A couple of things have gone wrong, and the new letting agency that took over from our previous one, have been slower to sort issues out.

So slow in fact, that we have been waiting since October/November for this issue to be solved. It, in my opinion is a pretty serious issue, the floors in our hallway (which have lead off doors to bedrooms, bathroom etc) when you step on them, water squirts up in between the floor boards (laminate flooring), we called them about it straight away informing them of the leak and they told us they would have someone up straight away, long story short, they didn't come up and we have been pestering them every second day to come up. It has actually started to smell stagnant in the hall (and I scrub the floors twice a day - even though it's pointless!)

Only on Tuesday of this week did they come up to have a look, at this stage now the leak has spread under the floorboards of our bedroom, main hallway, spare room and sitting room/kitchen (I'd say bathrooms too but you can't feel it because it's been tiled!). When they came up they said that it was indeed a very bad leak that something could be blocking the pipes somewhere and corroding them, but because we live in an apartment block, it is very hard to say where the leak originates. They said they will be back tomorrow to assess further the full extent of the damage, but it looks likely the floors will have to be taken up in the whole apartment and that it will have to be dried out completely, re-fitted and try to source (if they can) the leak.

This would most likely not be done in one day and my questions are, do they have to provide an alternative accomodation for us while this is happening and will we be at all liable for this? These seem like the type of cowboys that would try to impart blame somehow. So we want to be fully prepared for what tomorrow brings!

Sorry for the long post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

OP one thread is sufficient, please don't start multiple threads with the same opening post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement