Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 draw on Sunday

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/republic-of-ireland-confirmed-as-second-seeds-for-euro-2016-1.1667012

second seeds. to be fair if we dont qualify this time we dont ever deserve to. there will be more teams in this euros so better chance to qualify. top 2 from every group goes through along with the best 3rd placed team and then a qualifiers with all the others in third.

surely for the love of god as second seeds we can qualify without the need for a playoff

ideal scenario for an entertaining group that we should qualify from. couple of games close to home with the north and the brits. wouldnt even mind replacing belarus with either wales or scotland.

England
    Republic of Ireland
    Israel
    Belarus
    Northern Ireland
    Gibraltar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Yep, we got the 2nd seeds. Romania's performance in the WC2014 play-offs was the final stumbling block and thankfully (for us anyway) they didn't do the business.

Ireland have played ok under O'Neill so far and I think we have enough players to give it a go. With all that, I still wouldn't be overly-confident we'll qualify. However with 23 spots up for grab and a great starting position we certainly have a very good chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

second seeds. to be fair if we dont qualify this time we dont ever deserve to.
    agreed, no excuse as second seeds with the extra 8 teams qualifying now... Hopefully being second seeds, should make lighter work of it...

roanoke wrote: »
    Yep, we got the 2nd seeds. Romania's performance in the WC2014 play-offs was the final stumbling block and thankfully (for us anyway) they didn't do the business.

Ireland have played ok under O'Neill so far and I think we have enough players to give it a go. With all that, I still wouldn't be overly-confident we'll qualify. However with 23 spots up for grab and a great starting position we certainly have a very good chance.

well there are 23 spots up for grabs.

youd expect all the top seeds to qualify so thats 9 teams

second seeds are another 9 teams so that brings it up to 18

and that leaves 5 spots up for the rest.

so the question should be. are there 6 teams that have a better chance of qualifying than us and that are in the bottom 4 pots.

wales montenegro finland poland turkey serbia austria latvia and macedonia are probably the strongest teams from the bottom 4 pots. i really cant see 6 of them having a better campaign than us

we will finish 2nd and if we dont it will be down to poor management and its as simple as that. we can finish 1st or 2nd and qualify. if we finish best 3rd placed team we qualify. if we just finish 3rd we go to a playoff. if we are not at the euros i will say now that o'niell will need to be sacked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Yes Please!!!

Bosnia/Greece
    Rep Of Ireland
    Norway/Israel
    Latvia/Estonia
    Moldova/Norn Iron
    San Marino

Holy **** we are ****ed!!
    Germany/Spain
    Rep Of Ireland
    Turkey/Serbia
    Wales/Montengro
    Iceland/Macedonia
    Kazakhstan/Luxembourg

I put the seeds in order of preference our least.

Bosnia and Greece are good sides but they aint no Spain or Germany.

Norway are poor and we saw how easy it is to beat Latvia last November.

Wales or Montenegro would be good enough to beat us at minute.

Germany/Spain
    I reckon its an irrelevance, they are going to breeze past any of the second seeds... Id prefer not to get them as it gives us a better shot at first, which might be a possibility with some of the weaker level one seeds...

Question is, would you prefer to get a Germany or Spain and the on paper weakest 3rd seed, nearly guaranteeing second OR a "weak" first seed and difficult third seed?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I reckon its an irrelevance, they are going to breeze past any of the second seeds... Id prefer not to get them as it gives us a better shot at first, which might be a possibility with some of the weaker level one seeds...

:confused::confused:

am hello!

Did you read my post???

Yes Please!!!

Bosnia/Greece
    Rep Of Ireland
    Norway/Israel
    Latvia/Estonia
    Moldova/Norn Iron
    San Marino

Holy **** we are ****ed!!
    Germany/Spain
    Rep Of Ireland
    Turkey/Serbia
    Wales/Montengro
    Iceland/Macedonia
    Kazakhstan/Luxembourg

I put the seeds in order of preference our least.

Bosnia and Greece are good sides but they aint no Spain or Germany.

Norway are poor and we saw how easy it is to beat Latvia last November.

Wales or Montenegro would be good enough to beat us at minute.

at the minute maybe but if we get our act together i think we could even beat england

we need a couple back in the squad though. maybe if we could get given out of retirement even as back up.

we badly need to sort out or keeper situation and get a defence partnership working. if we could bring back the one everyone hates aswell it would add to our center mid.

coleman---def
    def
    fb
    mccarthy----ireland
    pilkington
    mceady----mclean
    long

i think if we could sort out the back we could actually be a really strong team

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Weren't Austria lower seeds than us last time round? If so that's worrying. Took 4 points off us. Even at second seeds we are FAR from guaranteed anything.

• Advertisement

Question is, would you prefer to get a Germany or Spain and the on paper weakest 3rd seed, nearly guaranteeing second OR a "weak" first seed and difficult third seed?

id like to get a first seed that we have an actual chance at getting a point in the aviva. as for the third seed hopefully we get a team that we get at least a point away and a win at the aviva. id be hoping for at least 5 points from the two "big teams"

id like to get a first seed that we have an actual chance at getting a point in the aviva. as for the third seed hopefully we get a team that we get at least a point away and a win at the aviva. id be hoping for at least 5 points from the two "big teams"
    I reckon we would have a chance against anyone other than Germany and Spain in that case, obviously it would be more difficult against Netherlands or Italy etc, than Greece or Bosnia. Even against Spain or Germany, I dont see any repeats of the thrashings under Trapp (other than a hiding in possession)...

Paulegend wrote: »
    at the minute maybe but if we get our act together i think we could even beat england

I would not fear England over 2 games. Actually think we could get 2-4 points in those 2 games, but England would win the games that we could only draw.

They would top our group or at least beat us anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Being second seeds gives a much better chance but it depends heavily on the draw. As usual, the seeds are not particularly accurate or a good indication of the quality of teams eg. Montenegro in pot 4 alongside Wales and Scotland.

Would like to avoid Spain, Germany and the Netherlands though getting an 'easier' first seed makes it easier for the other teams in the group too, especially with a strong third seed.

Serbia, Turkey, Austria, Montenegro, Kazahkstan and Gibraltar are the lower seeds I'd like to avoid.

Being second seeds gives a much better chance but it depends heavily on the draw. As usual, the seeds are not particularly accurate or a good indication of the quality of teams eg. Montenegro in pot 4 alongside Wales and Scotland.

Would like to avoid Spain, Germany and the Netherlands though getting an 'easier' first seed makes it easier for the other teams in the group too, especially with a strong third seed.

Serbia, Turkey, Austria, Montenegro, Kazahkstan and Gibraltar are the lower seeds I'd like to avoid.

you kidding?? they would be goal fests. at least the gibralter one anyway. in saying that it would mean we have to score more against them than other teams do so i get where it could be a bad thing

The funny thing is most countries will be delighted to get us as a 2nd seed.

Hungary would be most countries first choice, then us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

you kidding?? they would be goal fests. at least the gibralter one anyway. in saying that it would mean we have to score more against them than other teams do so i get where it could be a bad thing

Gibraltar 0 Slovakia 0 is their only result so far.
    Obviously a lolsmall sample and I've no idea of the possession stats or chances, but theres enough in the bare result to suggest that Gibraltar will be able to move up from 6th seeds to 5th seeds or 4th fairly quicky, perhaps like Montenegro have done.

Basically exactly the sort of 6th seed you'd want to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Obviously a lolsmall sample and I've no idea of the possession stats or chances, but theres enough in the bare result to suggest that Gibraltar will be able to move up from 6th seeds to 5th seeds or 4th fairly quicky, perhaps like Montenegro have done.

It was a total reserve Slovak squad. Don't read anything into that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭bren2001

Montenegro have decent players. Most of the Gibraltar team play in the Gibraltar league (which I can only assume is a very poor standard). We would breeze by them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Montenegro has 21 times the population of Gibraltar. I can't see them being anything other than the whipping boys of Europe. On a par with the Faroe Islands, Luxembourg, Andorra etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

To qualify we need to win more games.The mentality in International Football hasn't really moved on from when it was two points for a win. People still talk about 'getting a result', when a win and a defeat earns you more points than two draws.

If we can win our home games against everyone except the Top Seeds we would be well on the way.

Skid X wrote: »
    To qualify we need to win more games.The mentality in International Football hasn't really moved on from when it was two points for a win. People still talk about 'getting a result', when a win and a defeat earns you more points than two draws.

If we can win our home games against everyone except the Top Seeds we would be well on the way.

We really need to start beating the teams we need to. We have not beaten a team seeded higher then us in over 12 years now!! That is nuts in itself.

Last 3 campaigns against the teams that be seen as rivals to qualify
    WC 2010
    Italy 1-1 2-2 = 2 points
    Bulgaria 1-1 1-1 = 2 points

Euro 2012
    Russia 2-3 0-0= 1 point
    Solvakia 1-1 0-0= 2 points

WC 2014
    Germany 1-6 3-0 = 0 points
    Sweden 0-0 1-2 = 1 point
    Austria 2-2 0-1 = 1 point

From those games its P14 W0 D9 L5

Its about same for Brian Kerr and Stan era.

We need to start getting more wins especially at home. We need to win more of those 50/50 games.

gibralter have a population of less than half of waterford city. they are just a new san marino and andorra. they will not pose a threat

to qualify we need to finish in the top 3 at the very least. thats in a 6 team group.

we have to play 10 games.

if we get wins against 4 teams all at home that is 12 points straight away.

out of them the bottom 2 we need to beat away which brings us up to 18 points. meaning that out of 6 games we have 18 points. leaving us to play 4 games. 2 (home and away) against the top seed and 2 away games against the 3rd and 4th seeds. we also have to make sure our wins against 3rd and 4th at the aviva are better results than the reverse fixtures in order to not lose out on teh tie breakers

example
    assume that the top seed wins every single game (hopefully they wont but just assume) they play 10 games and get 30 points. meaning that now the max amount of points that anyone else can get is 24.

if we won all our home matchs (3rd 4th 5th and 6th seeded teams) that means the most that any of them can now get is 21 points.

now lets say all this played out. we would have won 6 games. we would beat 3rd and 4th at the aviva and we would have beaten 5th and 6th both home and away leaving us with 18 points.

that now means that 3rd and 4th can get a maximum of 21 points.

if we beat either 3rd or 4th seed away we will cement a top 3 spot. if we can get a draw against both away then it goes down to tie breakers (results between teams on equal points, gd, etc). basically we just need to better the results at the aviva than the reverse fixtures against 3rd and 4th seeds

its going to be tough of course but as long as we do our part then we will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

We really need to start beating the teams we need to. We have not beaten a team seeded higher then us in over 12 years now!! That is nuts in itself.

Last 3 campaigns against the teams that be seen as rivals to qualify
    WC 2010
    Italy 1-1 2-2 = 2 points
    Bulgaria 1-1 1-1 = 2 points

Euro 2012
    Russia 2-3 0-0= 1 point
    Solvakia 1-1 0-0= 2 points

WC 2014
    Germany 1-6 3-0 = 0 points
    Sweden 0-0 1-2 = 1 point
    Austria 2-2 0-1 = 1 point

From those games its P14 W0 D9 L5

Its about same for Brian Kerr and Stan era.

We need to start getting more wins especially at home. We need to win more of those 50/50 games.

Yep and we're pretty poor against the 3rd seeds too. I remember posting this (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85050777&postcount=4249) back on the Ireland thread a while ago. It surprised even me when I put it together.

Ireland have to start winning more (all) home games (regardless of the seed) and hopefully that will be the launchpad for qualification.

well i hate the man but i think oniell is probably the best man for sorting out our defence. hopefully with him in charge it means we will be solid at home. we might not score a lot of goals but i dont think we will concede many either. a chance we could pull off some "big draws" with martin. could get a point or two from the top seeds

Yep and we're pretty poor against the 3rd seeds too. I remember posting this (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85050777&postcount=4249) back on the Ireland thread a while ago. It surprised even me when I put it together.

Ireland have to start winning more (all) home games (regardless of the seed) and hopefully that will be the launchpad for qualification.

Cheers for posting that. Just quickly looked at it. Makes for depressing reading. Will look into it at more detail later.

Fair play putting that together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Wow. Startling stuff. I didn't think we did that badly against the better teams around us but I suppose we have had loads of creditable draws against good sides but not much else to shout about. Can't actually remember the last time we beat a big side in a competitive fixture now that I think about it.

Wow. Startling stuff. I didn't think we did that badly against the better teams around us but I suppose we have had loads of creditable draws against good sides but not much else to shout about. Can't actually remember the last time we beat a big side in a competitive fixture now that I think about it.

Holland 2001 was last time we beat a side seeded higher then us, in competitive game I might add.

Slovakia 1-0 in 2007 was maybe our best result in qualifying since then. Estonia 0-4 was ok I guess, but Estonia aint no world beaters.

We have had some good results in friendlies. Beating Portugal and Croatia along with Holland away and Denmark(won 4-0) spring to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Exciting times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Holland 2001 was last time we beat a side seeded higher then us, in competitive game I might add.

Slovakia 1-0 in 2007 was maybe our best result in qualifying since then. Estonia 0-4 was ok I guess, but Estonia aint no world beaters.

We have had some good results in friendlies. Beating Portugal and Croatia along with Holland away and Denmark(won 4-0) spring to mind.

We beat Italy 2-0 in a friendly in June 2011 too. Can add them to the list.

cson wrote: »
    We beat Italy 2-0 in a friendly in June 2011 too. Can add them to the list.

Thats right plus Sweden 3-0 in Stans first game.

If ever a false dawn...........

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

To be technical about it, we did beat France away over 90 minutes in the playoff :o

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Montenegro are a team we need to avoid at all costs. Nothing less than qualification will do regardless of draw anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Boots234

Will it be possible to watch this draw on TV on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

To be technical about it, we did beat France away over 90 minutes in the playoff :o
    Might be a blessing we didn't qualify for that World Cup based on how we did in the last Euros
    It may seem a bit side-stepping but I think there are too many teams in the Euros never mind the 24 that will be in the next one. In 88' there were 8 which is enough irregardless of all the new countries that came into existence since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

iDave wrote: »
    Weren't Austria lower seeds than us last time round? If so that's worrying. Took 4 points off us. Even at second seeds we are FAR from guaranteed anything.

FIFA and UEFA seeding is different

UEFA seeding only takes into account games that mean something FIFA is evey game played

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Boots234 wrote: »
    Will it be possible to watch this draw on TV on Sunday?

Sky Sports News from 11am

France i.e the host nation will be included in the qualifying campaigns, with these matches relegated to friendly status!!!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/european-championships/france-to-play-in-euro-qualifiers-29945680.html

well i hate the man but i think oniell is probably the best man for sorting out our defence. hopefully with him in charge it means we will be solid at home. we might not score a lot of goals but i dont think we will concede many either. a chance we could pull off some "big draws" with martin. could get a point or two from the top seeds

Know him well do you? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

greendom wrote: »
    Montenegro has 21 times the population of Gibraltar. I can't see them being anything other than the whipping boys of Europe. On a par with the Faroe Islands, Luxembourg, Andorra etc.

I was in Gib last Summer. Lovely place and very friendly but you can walk across it in about 25 minutes. Thats how small it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

France i.e the host nation will be included in the qualifying campaigns, with these matches relegated to friendly status!!!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/european-championships/france-to-play-in-euro-qualifiers-29945680.html

Thats daft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Thats daft

That's Platini for ya :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DaveyCakes

They're NOT included in the qualifying competition. They'll play friendlies against the teams in the qualifying group that has one team less than the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I wonder what happens if a coach decides to put out a bunch of reserves and/or youth players against the French.

I wouldn't blame a coach not wanting to risk injuries to key players in a meaningless match, especially if it's a few days before a competitive game.

I think the whole idea is horsesh*t tbh. Reminds me a bit of:

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DaveyCakes

Jesus, how hard is this to understand?

• One group has an odd number of teams
    • So every matchday, one team in that group has no qualifying match
    • They play a friendly against France, who also have no qualifying match because they're the hosts
    If a coach decides to put out a bunch of reserves against France it doesn't matter in the slightest, because its a FRIENDLY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Well it matters slightly since the results will affect rankings and seedings.

DaveyCakes wrote: »
    Jesus, how hard is this to understand?

• One group has an odd number of teams
    • So every matchday, one team in that group has no qualifying match
    • They play a friendly against France, who also have no qualifying match because they're the hosts
    If a coach decides to put out a bunch of reserves against France it doesn't matter in the slightest, because its a FRIENDLY!

I understand perfectly well how it will function. I think the idea is horsesh*t.

A coach's first priority is to win the competitive games and progress to the tournament. Having to play France in the midst of this is something a coach needs like a hole in the head.

Do you think the French are going to shrug their shoulders if a coach puts out a team of reserve players against them? They will moan and complain that they haven't been tested.

And if a team are on a good run, getting some rhythm together before a key qualifier, they are unlikely to want a game with France.

It's a farcical idea imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I understand perfectly well how it will function. I think the idea is horsesh*t.

A coach's first priority is to win the competitive games and progress to the tournament. Having to play France in the midst of this is something a coach needs like a hole in the head.

Do you think the French are going to shrug their shoulders if a coach puts out a team of reserve players against them? They will moan and complain that they haven't been tested.

And if a team are on a good run, getting some rhythm together before a key qualifier, they are unlikely to want a game with France.

It's a farcical idea imo.

Friendlies have always been played in the same week as competitive games. I don't see people's issue with this other than it's France and Platini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

dsmythy wrote: »
    Friendlies have always been played in the same week as competitive games. I don't see people's issue with this other than it's France and Platini.

Thats all we need :pac:

dsmythy wrote: »

MON summed up my thoughts on the matter.
    O'Neill hoping to avoid France in Euro 2016 draw

The Republic of Ireland boss believes being paired against the hosts would disrupt the competitive nature of the European Championship qualifiers

Republic of Ireland manager Martin O'Neill is hoping to avoid tournament hosts France in Sunday's Euro 2016 draw.

Uefa have decided to add the European Championship hosts in the qualifying draw as a means of ensuring they get enough warm-up matches ahead of the tournament, but O'Neill believes a match-up with the French would be bad for his side. "I would not like to be in that group," he said.

"I think that it would disrupt momentum. Okay, if you have just come off a bad result, it might reignite something but overall I would prefer not to be in that sort of group."

O'Neill understands the reasoning behind France's inclusion, but will get on with is job if France are drawn in Ireland's group. "If we are in that group, I would probably consider that to be unlucky," O'Neill said.

"I would prefer if we were not. You have a competitive mindset and the last thing you want is to have qualifiers interspersed with some sort of friendly game that is of no great consequence. If it is, I will have to take it."

http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3942/ireland/2014/02/22/4637683/oneill-hoping-to-avoid-france-in-euro-2016-draw

This compulsion to play a top side doesn't sit well with me and given who proposed the idea, and who the hosts are, it doesn't feel like smaller nations have been taken into account. Quelle surprise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement