Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 draw on Sunday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

irishfeen wrote: »
    Poland didn't seem to be up to very much the last time we played them home and away - I know this will be competitive but as you said 4 points wouldn't be beyond belief.

It will be interesting to see our tactical approach under Martin & Roy - while people do take the piss out of Trap he did have us very hard to beat for the most.

They have some very good individual players alright, but it doesn't work out for the national team, for what reason ever, even some Polish friends of mine don't have a clue :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Lars1916 wrote: »
    BILD.de just copied the 'boring' part of their statement of me :P
    They have Poland noted as the "strongest opponent" in the group, don't particularly know about that - I think we would give them a game any day of the week.

They have Poland noted as the "strongest opponent" in the group, don't particularly know about that - I think we would give them a game any day of the week.

That's just because of the Polish players in the Bundesliga, I suppose

They have some very good individual players alright, but it doesn't work out for the national team, for what reason ever, even some Polish friends of mine don't have a clue :confused:
    Vast majority play in the Bundesliga, Lewandowski of course is a great player too... Don't particularly know much about the rest apart from Piszczek, Szczesny, Fabianski and a few others. Its funny looking at the Irish team - all but one (Stokes in Scotland) ply their trade in England - most actually in the lesser PL teams/divisions lower ... highest club with Irish regulars is Everton (Coleman, McCarthy, McGeady)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Joachim Low's comments on the group were respectful enough although deep down I'm sure he's delighted with the draw (via RTE):
    "We know the Scottish team will be physically strong and it has always been hard for Germany when we have played against them in the past.

"Gordon Strachan was a good tough player and his team will be the same.

"Martin O'Neill has been a top manager for a long time and his team will be a challenge too."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Joachim Low's comments on the group were respectful enough although deep down I'm sure he's delighted with the draw (via RTE):

Yep, on the inside Low has a big stupid John Delaney grin on his face as if he had drawn Estonia five times.

roanoke wrote: »
    Yep, on the inside Low has a big stupid John Delaney grin on his face as if he had drawn Estonia five times.

He might not even be in charge anymore, when Germany plays Ireland. It's ages ago, when Germany last won a title (the EURO 1996), and it's about time to get some silverware...the silverware, he promised when he took over in 2006

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Pretty tough group but pretty hopeful with the new management in place that we can qualify for the euros.

Does anybody know where the Germany v Ireland match will take place?
    Girlfriend is from cologne so will have to make the trip over for the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

He might not even be in charge anymore, when Germany plays Ireland. It's ages ago, when Germany last won a title (the EURO 1996), and it's about time to get some silverware...the silverware, he promised when he took over in 2006

Low won't be in charge after the WC. . . I'd be fairly confident of that.

If he wins the WC he'll leave at the top.

If he doesn't the German FA will decide that it's time for a change.

Pretty tough group but pretty hopeful with the new management in place that we can qualify for the euros.

Does anybody know where the Germany v Ireland match will take place?
    Girlfriend is from cologne so will have to make the trip over for the match.

As I mentioned earlier, that decision will be made at the German FA's AGM on March 21st, so they said on the Sportbild.de website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

sugarman wrote: »
    Well he recently signed a contract extension to 2016 so cant see it myself

So? . . .Doesn't mean he's going to see it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

I think the odds will give Ireland 3rd spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

From Bild.de

German Tabloids not too impressed with the quality of Group D :)

Ve are vinning too ja

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

scotland we are worried about?!!! LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

... and of course, just like we would like revenge on Germany for our recent hidings, Scotland will want revenge on us for pipping them to the coveted 'Nations Cup' trophy. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Ya, Germany might be big game though. I could see Poland being well up for Germany game both home and away and they might sneak result against them.

I would gladly take a point from 2 German games now. If somebody told me that and we get 4 points from Poland I be fairly confident.

But our record against teams around us has to improve. Only the likes of Andorra and San Marino have worse records. That is embarrassing.

Slovakia is the only team in 12 years we have beaten in competitive game that was from Pot 1, 2 or 3.

Just gotta improve on that crap.

I think Germany will beat the scutter out of Poland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

ebbsy wrote: »
    I think Germany will beat the scutter out of Poland.

Would you think Germany will get max points?

I think they might, but I think law averages and all they will drop just few points.

They might win every game, but they could as easily draw game, or two, or lose one.

I think they might, but I think law averages and all they will drop just few points.

They might win every game, but they could as easily draw game, or two, or lose one.
    Don't think they will get full points but might go close to it - I think either Scotland, Ireland or Poland will manage to draw with them at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

hopefully Germany have qualified when we play them at the end and they play some young players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

jebus84 wrote: »
    hopefully Germany have qualified when we play them at the end and they play some young players

They will have qualified before we play them in the third game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

We might get a draw with them at home. We were in chaos when we played them at home last time out. We need them to beat Scotland and Poland. The two matches between Poland and Scotland will be important.
    A few draws would be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

ebbsy wrote: »
    We might get a draw with them at home. We were in chaos when we played them at home last time out. We need them to beat Scotland and Poland. The two matches between Poland and Scotland will be important.
    A few draws would be nice.

You must have forgotten what the players said. We're supposed to lose against the likes of Germany so I expect the players to go out and lose as they themselves predict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Idbatterim wrote: »

Well to be fair, we're 67th in the rankings and they are 34th. They have been on an upward trajectory under Strachan. I'd fancy us for four points against them but I don't think it will be easy by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Oh Northern Ireland having to play on a Sunday will be fun

Well to be fair, we're 67th in the rankings and they are 34th. They have been on an upward trajectory under Strachan. I'd fancy us for four points against them but I don't think it will be easy by any means.
    True, they were 4th seeds though and we were 2nd.

It will be very interesting to see how things go with O'Neill and Keane, the bull**** mentality as another poster mentioned below, I hope to god it gets expelled. I think we are possibly being over pessimistic after the absolute headf**k that was trapps final few months in charge in particular...
    You must have forgotten what the players said. We're supposed to lose against the likes of Germany so I expect the players to go out and lose as they themselves predict.

Oh Northern Ireland having to play on a Sunday will be fun
    Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Why?

They don't have domestic games on a Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Why?

Something to do with hardcore unionists being presbyterian. They dont like sport and stuff on Sundays. Only up to very recently were bookies closed and no horse racing on Sundays.

monkey9 wrote: »
    They don't have domestic games on a Sunday.
    kksaints wrote: »
    Something to do with hardcore unionists being presbyterian. They dont like sport and stuff on Sundays. Only up to very recently were bookies closed and no horse racing on Sundays.
    80731991f1f3378d4590d8de7634da418e4bd902a133245694dda315b959dbaa.jpg

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

jebus84 wrote: »

They'll play young players...and still batter us :pac:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

May not be a member of UEFA yet

Not Yet anyway.

Serbia seems to be Blocking it.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/01/13/uk-soccer-fifa-kosovo-idUKBREA0C1G620140113

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

We struggled to beat San Marino ;)

Although to be fair we were managed by the worst manager that has ever lived.

SteveStaunton_556529.jpg

"I'm the gaffer"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

Idbatterim wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_national_football_team_2000%E2%80%9319_results

For a team that has been stuck in the doldrums since 2008 their last few results are showing a definite change under Strachan. Defeated Croatia twice, we haven't managed to do a good side competitively once in nearly 13 years!

It is one of the worst groups we could have drawn. Scotland on the up and Poland with more pressure on them than ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'm ok with the group. Good to have a top seed that will take points off everyone, makes it a mini-league between the other 5.

And if we want to be more competitive in a 2016 tournament than we were in 2012, then we should be able to finish above 3 of those teams minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

The scottish message boards are hilarious.
    2nd is ours, Rep Ireland aren't a great side and are on the down, take McCarthy and Coleman out and you don't fear anyone I feel we are better and would expect 4/6 points

They talk as much sh!te as we do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    The scottish message boards are hilarious.

They talk as much sh!te as we do.

Weve a decent team. We have nearly all Premier League players in the starting 11 to be fair. McGeady, Coleman, McCarthy, Long, Whelan, O'Shea have all done fairly well in the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Alright lads whats the general attitude amongst supporters after the draw yesterday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

where the actual fixture dates confirmed yet??

Paulegend wrote: »
    where the actual fixture dates confirmed yet??
    All confirmed mate https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/10144/295720.pdf

nice we are at home to Poland the day after my 30th. think ill have to take an oul trip up. hopefully we will have beaten georgia and gibralter and gotten at least an away draw against scotland by then. with germany away i cant see anything from that so id be happy if we have 7 points going into our 5th game but if we beat scotland away (which we can) id be flipping trilled with 9 points in our first 4 games :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,680 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

2nd is ours, Rep Ireland aren't a great side and are on the down, take McCarthy and Coleman out and you don't fear anyone I feel we are better and would expect 4/6 points
    Coming from Scotland? at least we are always there or thereabouts when it comes to what actually matters, i.e. qualification...

One thing I just thought about Keane is, I hope to god he changes the it will do mentality or being happy with a draw when we could have won. This mentality has been our downfall too many times & you couldnt get a better man in to at least try and change it... For example against austria in Dublin after about 60 mins deciding it was like the last minute or two of a match and ceding all possession at home (to a team who were ceded below us) hoping to hold out for 30 or so mins!!

scotland poland game in couple weeks will be a good time to compare them both

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

8-10 wrote: »
    I'm ok with the group. Good to have a top seed that will take points off everyone, makes it a mini-league between the other 5.

And if we want to be more competitive in a 2016 tournament than we were in 2012, then we should be able to finish above 3 of those teams minimum.

Our first job is to qualify
    Being competitive in the main tournament is 100% irrelevant at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

scotland poland game in couple weeks will be a good time to compare them both

Don't believe it will to be honest

Don't believe it will to be honest

i know a friendly cant be used to judge but at least we'll get an idea if either are alot better than the other even if it is just squads rather than starters. maybe we'll see where they are weak

i know a friendly cant be used to judge but at least we'll get an idea if either are alot better than the other even if it is just squads rather than starters. maybe we'll see where they are weak

Scotland are weak in the centre of defence. I imagine that is a priority for Strachan

Scotland are weak in the centre of defence. I imagine that is a priority for Strachan

Its not as if he can go out and buy players though.

It kinda makes me laugh seeing people crib about Irish squad being named. I mean there is very little else out there.

Its not as if O Neill has left out big PL players. All players mentioned as better are average Championship players.

Its not as if he can go out and buy players though.

It kinda makes me laugh seeing people crib about Irish squad being named. I mean there is very little else out there.

Its not as if O Neill has left out big PL players. All players mentioned as better are average Championship players.

No he can't but I imagine he and his backroom staff are keeping there eyes open for new talent or some player that has so far slipped through the net

No he can't but I imagine he and his backroom staff are keeping there eyes open for new talent or some player that has so far slipped through the net

True.

I can see O Neill trying get few players in through Granny rule too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement