Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 draw on Sunday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Few lads in the Scottish forums are saying Celtic Park will most likely have Scotland v Ireland.

Nothing confirmed as its just speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Few lads in the Scottish forums are saying Celtic Park will most likely have Scotland v Ireland.

60,000 sell out crowd would create a fantastic atmosphere inside Celtic Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

They will get a massive crowd so makes sense to hold it in the biggest stadium available.

yabadabado wrote: »
    They will get a massive crowd so makes sense to hold it in the biggest stadium available.

True.

If I was Scottish FA though I bring it to Ibrox if I could. Would make it little more hostile for Irish team and fans.

From Irish perspective bringing it to Parkhead would be much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

True.

If I was Scottish FA though I bring it to Ibrox if I could. Would make it little more hostile for Irish team and fans.

From Irish perspective bringing it to Parkhead would be much better.

Should send it up to Murrayfield away from Glasgow, I don't think there will be any bother if it is in Glasgow but it eliminates any doubt.

TheBuilder wrote: »
    Should send it up to Murrayfield away from Glasgow, I don't think there will be any bother if it is in Glasgow but it eliminates any doubt.

I cant see there being any trouble if there is I think it will be small, although going by Hearts and Tartan Army fans forums they half expect riots:pac:

I just think playing game at Ibrox would put Ireland team and fans out of comfort zone. Playing it in Parkhead will feel right at home to some;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Friday night in Glasgow and no trouble???

Friday night in Glasgow and no trouble???

Well thats a good point:p

Im sure they will have a few extra police you would imagine.

I say Scotland v Poland has potential to have bit of trouble in it just like in Belfast few years ago.

You know what wouldn't it be great if the Polish FA put the Irish match on in Poznan - it would certainly mean a sell-out 43 odd thousand game and reignite old friendships made in the city.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Poland and Scotland will both be disappointed if they dont take 4/6 points off us.

And we are thinking the same about them.

Its gona be good lads!!

TheBuilder wrote: »

I presume the SFA dont want to use Murrayfield when they have a football stadium they can use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

when will be know where the match will be held?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Idbatterim wrote: »
    when will be know where the match will be held?

By the rules the home team has to nominate a ground 60 days in advance.
    They'll likely announce it earlier though, not sure it makes any difference for travel plans to Scotland anyway (as opposed to the germany situation.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭Patser

Whatever about the Scotland game - where the options are more of less confined to Glasgow or Edinburgh, which are close enough - any guesses which city in Germany will get the game this year?

And to echo another poster it'd be great if the Polish game was in Poznan.

Patser wrote: »
    Whatever about the Scotland game - where the options are more of less confined to Glasgow or Edinburgh, which are close enough - any guesses which city in Germany will get the game this year?

Lars was saying it will be decided most likely on 21st of March.

---

On different not the Tartan Army forum are very confident... 25 points some think they can get:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Patser wrote: »

German FA are meeting in March to confirm venue's.I saw a report by a German reporter and he reckoned our game will be a sell out and get a big away crowd .so I guess they will play us in one of the bigger stadiums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

irishfeen wrote: »
    You know what wouldn't it be great if the Polish FA put the Irish match on in Poznan - it would certainly mean a sell-out 43 odd thousand game and reignite old friendships made in the city.

Good shout. I have a feeling they will play in Warsaw however....but you never know!

The Stephen Nolan show today on radio is fun. A Rev wants the North to pull out of the Euros cause they have to play on a Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

The Stephen Nolan show today on radio is fun. A Rev wants the North to pull out of the Euros cause they have to play on a Sunday.

What a joke in this day and age.

keith16 wrote: »
    Steady on - ah now its "their culture" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

keith16 wrote: »

Here is link for anyone just couple scrolls down

http://audioboo.fm/channel/the-nolan-show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Some strange nights playing football with this UEFA 'week of football' idea. Have we ever played an international qualifier on a Thursday or Sunday evening before?

295858.jpg

ulstersaysno-300x225.jpg
    ... *cough*

the nolan show shot up in my estimation after this particular gem!

Many of ye head to the aways?
    Hope to do 3 or 4.Fairly cheap to do Scotland and Gibralter games,Germany and Poland will be a more expensive but not outrageous either.Georgia will be a tough one and one I probably won't bother with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Some strange nights playing football with this UEFA 'week of football' idea. Have we ever played an international qualifier on a Thursday or Sunday evening before?

295858.jpg

Thursday and Sunday nights are just awful for sport especially in Ireland. In saying that, many of the European leagues play a lot of games on Sunday nights.

I'm really not sure what kind of atmosphere Sunday night games will get in Ireland.

I can see a lot more enthusiasm for travelling this campaign, the group isnt ideal in footballing terms, but ideal travel wise. Id say away to Scotland will be massive following id imagine...

yabadabado wrote: »
    Many of ye head to the aways?
    Hope to do 3 or 4.Fairly cheap to do Scotland and Gibralter games,Germany and Poland will be a more expensive but not outrageous either.Georgia will be a tough one and one I probably won't bother with.

Gibraltar and Scotland I hope. If we get Germany in Stuttgart, Frankfurt or Munich I be there. Might still go but they suit me.

thelad95 wrote: »
    Thursday and Sunday nights are just awful for sport especially in Ireland. In saying that, many of the European leagues play a lot of games on Sunday nights.

I'm really not sure what kind of atmosphere Sunday night games will get in Ireland.

Saturday 13 June 2015 stands for me. Ire v Scot at 5pm. If it's a summer day like anything we got last June or July, Dublin will be awash in a sea of Guinness and Buckfast! (not that it probably won't, regardless of the weather.........)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

295858.jpg

Ironic that Ireland's fixture list now has every single day of the week EXCEPT Wednesday (which used to be the traditional day for international matches).

BTW Ireland have played four qualification games on a Thursday. 02/06/1949 v Sweden ; 08/09/1949 v Finland ; 28/05/1987 v Luxembourg ; 15/11/2001 v Iran ;

Also, Ireland have played lots of Sunday qualifiers down the years, but I don't know whether they were evening or not. I'd wager they were nearly all afternoon k.o.

• Advertisement

roanoke wrote: »
    Ironic that Ireland's fixture list now has every single day of the week EXCEPT Wednesday (which used to be the traditional day for international matches).

BTW Ireland have played four qualification games on a Thursday. 02/06/1949 v Sweden ; 08/09/1949 v Finland ; 28/05/1987 v Luxembourg ; 15/11/2001 v Iran ;

Also, Ireland have played lots of Sunday qualifiers down the years, but I don't know whether they were evening or not. I'd wager they were nearly all afternoon k.o.

I remember playing Austria in 1995 at home and im 90% sure it was a Sunday. Think we played Iceland at home on a Sunday in 1997(Keane got booed and played CB). Might be more obvious ones but cant remember. Both around 3pm KO

Played Spain in WC and Croatia in Euros on a Sunday. But they were in the Tournament itself

I remember playing Austria in 1995 at home and im 90% sure it was a Sunday.

Yip, 11 June 1995. 4pm ko. We got turned over rightly.........

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=1996/matches/round=226/match=50720/

I remember playing Austria in 1995 at home and im 90% sure it was a Sunday.

Toni Polster :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭luckyboy

We played England at Euro 88 on a Sunday ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Hampden might be out depending on the dates due to the commwealth games. Parkhead or Ibrox might come into it. Which might make tickets scarce.

the commonwealth games are on during the summer, so it'll definitely be Hampden pk

can't imagine the scottish FA giving Ireland a home fixture by holding it at parkhead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭bren2001

fryup wrote: »
    the commonwealth games are on during the summer, so it'll definitely be Hampden pk

can't imagine the scottish FA giving Ireland a home fixture by holding it at parkhead

Hampden park has to be converted back from an Athletics stadium to a football stadium. It is closed to football until next year. The SFA have no choice but to move it. The Scotsman and Daily Mail are reporting the match will go ahead at Celtic Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Are Ryanair still flying to Prestwick? Cant seem to see any flights on their site for the dates around the Scotland match.

Hampden wont be ready till next February is the word.

Hampden was supposed to be available again towards the end of 2014.Commonwealth games end on 14/8/14 and our game is 13 weeks later but I doubt it would be ready by then.huge amount of work needed to be done .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Gibraltar with a population of 30k should not be in the tournament.
    Also, they are not a real country!

I hope they get hockeyed - I wouldn't be surprised if Germany put 20 past them.

The top 3rd seed qualifies automatically - so we should be looking to get 10 twice.

Also, they are not a real country!

I hope they get hockeyed - I wouldn't be surprised if Germany put 20 past them.

The top 3rd seed qualifies automatically - so we should be looking to get 10 twice.

Results against Gibraltar (or the bottom team) won't count for the best 3rd place.

I think every team should be allowed in the tournament, but I definitely think there should be some sort of preliminary round for teams that consistently offer little to nothing in these qualifying groups. For example San Marino. I think they've managed something like 2 draws and 110 defeats in 112 competitive games to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

1. They are not a country
    2. They do not have a pitch capable of hosting matches
    3. Their matches will be a waste of time, taking heavy beatings
    4. They have to be kept apart from Spain for political reasons, even though FIFA kick countries out for any political interference

As more and more genuine new countries emerge, mostly in east Europe, perhaps these smaller " countries" need to be looked at

1. They are not a country
    2. They do not have a pitch capable of hosting matches
    3. Their matches will be a waste of time, taking heavy beatings
    4. They have to be kept apart from Spain for political reasons, even though FIFA kick countries out for any political interference

I'm not thrilled with Gibralar being in, but none of your reasons stack up.
    1. They have their own FA and structures, which is as important to UEFA as 'country' status.
    2. Pitch/ground is under construction.
    3. To be seen.
    4. There have plenty of other 'X cant meet Y' stipulations in UEFA draws without anyone being kicked out. Armenia&Azerbai was also a restriction in the most recent draw, and Russia&Georgia in the previous one.

I'm not thrilled with Gibralar being in, but none of your reasons stack up.
    1. They have their own FA and structures

Their population is less than 30k.

The cork schoolboys league have more structures than this lot.

Another "park the bus" team I'd imagine trying gamely to keep defeats to a minimum.

If I was Robbie Keane I'd make sure I was fit for those two games - bring his tally to 70 odd.

Gibraltar always affiliated itself with the UK (recent history) - it never put itself forward as an independent country - because it isn't one.

Next the Falkland Islands will round up 11 and want a game.

Is it an attempt to round up more votes for Britain in uefa and FIFA?

• Advertisement

roanoke wrote: »
    I think every team should be allowed in the tournament, but I definitely think there should be some sort of preliminary round for teams that consistently offer little to nothing in these qualifying groups. For example San Marino. I think they've managed something like 2 draws and 110 defeats in 112 competitive games to date.

Where would you draw the line?
    Isle of Man
    Jersey
    Guernsey
    Greek islands
    Kaliningrad
    Vatican City
    Narnia

That's up to UEFA. But it makes no difference to me where they draw the line for entrants, especially if a decent preliminary system meant the likelihood becomes that Ireland will never have to play any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭bren2001

Isle of Man
    Jersey
    Guernsey
    Greek islands
    Kaliningrad
    Vatican City
    Narnia

UEFA introduced a rule where you must have a seat at the UN to be eligible. This rules all of those out (leaving Narnia aside). This came in after Gibraltar had applied so could not be applied to them.

I see no harm in playing the likes of San Marino etc. If it promotes football great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

The Basque Country has his own football team, but are they in any draw? ;)

Narnia
    Brilliant! LOL :D agree about the keane comment also, he should be able to put a good few more away this campaign... His amount of goals is staggering considering, see below link, there is a good chance he will over take Gerd Muller and Miroslav Close this campaign!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_top_international_association_football_goal_scorers_by_country

He is currently level with Drogba and the Brazilian Ronaldo...

• Advertisement
Advertisement