Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 draw on Sunday

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

irishmover wrote: »
    Gibraltar lose 4-1 to Faroe Islands in a friendly today. Play Estonia in a few days.

Jesus, of that's anything to go by then we could see them finish the campaign with a goal difference of -60 or -70

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

dan1895 wrote: »
    Jesus, of that's anything to go by then we could see them finish the campaign with a goal difference of -60 or -70

They did draw with Slovakia in late 2013 though.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/24961656

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Our game v Germany is rumored to be in Gelsenkirchen.Plenty of cheap hotels their at the moment with free cancellation for anyone who is thinking about going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

But they lost 4-1 to the mighty Faroes.... That was an amazing result against Slovakia but Gibraltar will not be competitive or even near it. They have the population, resources and playing base of Co. Leitrim if even that. Judging by this report (poor source I know) http://footballgibraltar.wordpress.com/ I really don't think we have anything to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

yabadabado wrote: »
    Our game v Germany is rumored to be in Gelsenkirchen.Plenty of cheap hotels their at the moment with free cancellation for anyone who is thinking about going.

I was thinking of heading over but Tuesday is such a shit day. At least two days off work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Any idea when a decision on that will be made?

hardybuck wrote: »
    Any idea when a decision on that will be made?
    by the end of the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

rumours, rumours, rumours, so where you hearing this?

rumours, rumours, rumours, so where you hearing this?
    told by TO staff member.I have booked my accommodation with free cancellation so no loss if it doesn't happen.either way should be confirmation in the next 3 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Lads....Gelsenkirchen is a dead city with little or no nightlife....its one the cities with the hightest unemployment levels in Germany....If you are planning on traveling you should be looking at staying in Essen (Rüttenscheid). If anyone wants a few pointers for cheap hotels in good locations let me know per private message. I will give you the web address and you can book or deal with them. I aint on commision or anything....just have lived in the area for a long time and know where you want to be at night and where not, where you will get late drinking during the week and where you will be kicked out at 1 per licencing laws. Added to that anything i recommend will be close to public transport and not more than 30-40 minute tram or a 15 minute train ride to the stadium.

• Advertisement

Lads....Gelsenkirchen is a dead city with little or no nightlife....its one the cities with the hightest unemployment levels in Germany....If you are planning on traveling you should be looking at staying in Essen (Rüttenscheid). If anyone wants a few pointers for cheap hotels in good locations let me know per private message. I will give you the web address and you can book or deal with them. I aint on commision or anything....just have lived in the area for a long time and know where you want to be at night and where not, where you will get late drinking during the week and where you will be kicked out at 1 per licencing laws. Added to that anything i recommend will be close to public transport and not more than 30-40 minute tram or a 15 minute train ride to the stadium.

How would Essen compare with Dusseldorf or Cologne (which we visited on our trip last year)?

hardybuck wrote: »
    How would Essen compare with Dusseldorf or Cologne (which we visited on our trip last year)?

Its a little quieter....no as touristy........but still enough to do, a good few late bars midweek and hotels range from B&B over pubs for €45 a night up to €120 a night 4 or 5 stars. There are 2-3 areas where fans could meet up without any problems....all close to train station or tram stops and hotels all within a few minutes walk.
    Advantage is really the rail/bus/tram connection to the stadium, Essen boarders to Gelsenkirchen and is easy as piss to get to. Trains also run every 30 mins to Düsseldorf airport (30 mins out) when you arrive or leave.
    Düsseldorf and Köln are totally different...they are all geared towards tourists.....if you stay in Düsseldorf you are talking about a 70-90 minute train ride (without waiting times) and Köln 90-120 minutes. Also if your are like me when you full......and you decide to take a taxi with 4 others you are taking about max a tenner a head back to Essen whereas Düsseldorf is more like €25-30

Ohh and just a tip.....anyone looking into hotels......If you have a problem getting to sleep stay away from Ibis Hotel Essen.....it backs out onto railway station and ICE line. Sweet vibrations and noise all night. You can get better for the same price....and sleep even if it is only for an hour or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Slovakia sent a 3rd string side out to them. Obviously didn't want to injure someone of use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Its a little quieter....no as touristy........but still enough to do, a good few late bars midweek and hotels range from B&B over pubs for €45 a night up to €120 a night 4 or 5 stars. There are 2-3 areas where fans could meet up without any problems....all close to train station or tram stops and hotels all within a few minutes walk.
    Advantage is really the rail/bus/tram connection to the stadium, Essen boarders to Gelsenkirchen and is easy as piss to get to. Trains also run every 30 mins to Düsseldorf airport (30 mins out) when you arrive or leave.
    Düsseldorf and Köln are totally different...they are all geared towards tourists.....if you stay in Düsseldorf you are talking about a 70-90 minute train ride (without waiting times) and Köln 90-120 minutes. Also if your are like me when you full......and you decide to take a taxi with 4 others you are taking about max a tenner a head back to Essen whereas Düsseldorf is more like €25-30

Ohh and just a tip.....anyone looking into hotels......If you have a problem getting to sleep stay away from Ibis Hotel Essen.....it backs out onto railway station and ICE line. Sweet vibrations and noise all night. You can get better for the same price....and sleep even if it is only for an hour or so.

I was thinking that Gelsenkirchen didn't come up on any train searches.

So if getting a train, it should be to Essen, right?

thanks, appreciate it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Wont be going to the Germany game now after where it is.

As boring City as you will get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Wont be going to the Germany game now after where it is.

As boring City as you will get.

Gelsenkirchen is a kip alright, but you have lovely spots on your doorstep, such as Dusseldorf, Essen or Dortmund. Considering you are interested in the history of the industrial revolution in Germany, or the Ruhr Valley in particular.

http://www.dasa-dortmund.de/

http://www.route-industriekultur.de/

And there is free public transport in the region on matchdays as well, so no need to stay in Gelsenkirchen :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭ConstantJoe

Has it been announced where in Poland Ireland will be playing in 2015?

Has it been announced where in Poland Ireland will be playing in 2015?

Potentially Moscow the way things are going!

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Gelsenkirchen is a kip alright, but you have lovely spots on your doorstep, such as Dusseldorf, Essen or Dortmund. Considering you are interested in the history of the industrial revolution in Germany, or the Ruhr Valley in particular.

And there is free public transport in the region on matchdays as well, so no need to stay in Gelsenkirchen :)

Cheers for that.

I was really hoping it would be in Dortmund as love to go to the stadium.

Maybe come closer to the game I might be more tempted.

Cheers for that.

I was really hoping it would be in Dortmund as love to go to the stadium.

Maybe come closer to the game I might be more tempted.

As we say in Dortmund, the best thing in Gelsenkirchen is the motorway to Dortmund :D

Anyway, when is the match again? Maybe, Borussia Dortmund have a home fixture around the same time, and you could visit the Westfalenstadion :)

• Advertisement

As we say in Dortmund, the best thing in Gelsenkirchen is the motorway to Dortmund :D

Anyway, when is the match again? Maybe, Borussia Dortmund have a home fixture around the same time, and you could visit the Westfalenstadion :)

8th of October this year.

Ya would love to see that Dortmunds stadium.

Would have settled for Munich or Dortmund, although Stuttgart was great laugh for the Euros campaign for Euro 08

8th of October this year.

Ya would love to see that Dortmunds stadium.

Would have settled for Munich or Dortmund, although Stuttgart was great laugh for the Euros campaign for Euro 08

Fixtures are usually out by the end of June/early July. Hope for your sake, Borussia have a home match, the Yellow Wall is just massive :cool:

Just give me a shout, when it should happen, I always have some good tips at hand, I lived in Dortmund for a good while and had a season ticket from 1986-2004.

Fixtures are usually out by the end of June/early July. Hope for your sake, Borussia have a home match, the Yellow Wall is just massive :cool:

Just give me a shout, when it should happen, I always have some good tips at hand, I lived in Dortmund for a good while and had a season ticket from 1986-2004.

Cheers Lars. Much appreciate the offer:)

If I do go i'll be onto you

I was thinking that Gelsenkirchen didn't come up on any train searches.

So if getting a train, it should be to Essen, right?

thanks, appreciate it

Gelsenkirchen has its own train station. A lot more ICE, Inter City, Regional Express and SBahn trains stop in Essen so it will mean a change in many cases for the last 10 minutes.

@ Lars,
    People traveling should take 2-3 things into consideration when reading your post.......
    1. Match tickets are only valid as tickets on trams, bus, Regional Express and SBahn 3 hours before and 3 hours after the game within the VRR region. People should also take into account that the match ticket only can be used to get to the stadium and away from it. Meaning....you can use it within the VRR to go to Gelsenkirchen and to leave...so no visiting your mates on the day of the game in Dortmund if you are staying in Essen etc. The VRR have been cracking down on missuse on CL nights lately.
    2. Should you wish to stay in Düsseldorf/Dortmund/Bochum/Köln, you should take into account that you will face after the game a minimum 1 hour journey back to the above named cities in the best case. Essen is 10 minutes by train and has a number of late license premises on weeknights.
    3. Anyone on a Ryanair flight from Weeze/Düsseldorf can book and use the shuttle bus from Essen. If you are on a morning flight.....GE to Essen to get the first bus will be a taxi........or a long wait.

@ Lars,
    People traveling should take 2-3 things into consideration when reading your post.......
    1. Match tickets are only valid as tickets on trams, bus, Regional Express and SBahn 3 hours before and 3 hours after the game within the VRR region. People should also take into account that the match ticket only can be used to get to the stadium and away from it. Meaning....you can use it within the VRR to go to Gelsenkirchen and to leave...so no visiting your mates on the day of the game in Dortmund if you are staying in Essen etc. The VRR have been cracking down on missuse on CL nights lately.
    2. Should you wish to stay in Düsseldorf/Dortmund/Bochum/Köln, you should take into account that you will face after the game a minimum 1 hour journey back to the above named cities in the best case. Essen is 10 minutes by train and has a number of late license premises on weeknights.
    3. Anyone on a Ryanair flight from Weeze/Düsseldorf can book and use the shuttle bus from Essen. If you are on a morning flight.....GE to Essen to get the first bus will be a taxi........or a long wait.

I must admit, I didn't know about the VRR cracking down on the free travel scheme. It's long time ago when I lived there alright ;)

Advertisement