Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 draw on Sunday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

MON summed up my thoughts on the matter.

This compulsion to play a top side doesn't sit well with me and given who proposed the idea, and who the hosts are, it doesn't feel like smaller nations have been taken into account. Quelle surprise.

Every single one of those 'smaller nations' has, without exception, organised friendlies when they had a 'bye night' during previous qualifying campaigns. So whats the problem.

Seriously, UEFA have done something absolutely brilliant here by condensing the qualifying campaign to 10 slots instead of the previous 14 or 15 slots dispersed throughout the campaign. And changed the schedule so that we get matches from Thursday to Tuesday at peak times instead of having the dreaded 'blank' international Saturdays and Sundays.

And the only downside of this new method is that it means there isn't the usual range of teams on 'byes' available to the hosts on the qualification match days. In fact there is only one (european) team available so UEFA have decided that team will play France at that time.

And people think its some Platini conspiracy. Bloody hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Every single one of those 'smaller nations' has, without exception, organised friendlies when they had a 'bye night' during previous qualifying campaigns. So whats the problem.

Seriously, UEFA have done something absolutely brilliant here by condensing the qualifying campaign to 10 slots instead of the previous 14 or 15 slots dispersed throughout the campaign. And changed the schedule so that we get matches from Thursday to Tuesday at peak times instead of having the dreaded 'blank' international Saturdays and Sundays.

And the only downside of this new method is that it means there isn't the usual range of teams on 'byes' available to the hosts on the qualification match days. In fact there is only one (european) team available so UEFA have decided that team will play France at that time.

Well the International manager has come out and said he'd prefer not to be in that group, so it can't have been that good of an idea if countries have a resistance to it. Teams shouldn't have a reluctant draw forced upon them. I don't think it's any conspiracy at all, just think it's a rather unusual, silly idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I presume O Neill and Keane will be at this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The problem has already been outlined - there is a compulsion to play France. I don't think you are seeing the big picture here and the grief this will cause.

Let's say you are an eastern European team like Azerbaijan or Kazakhstan. You get paired with France in your group. Now you have an away game with the French that sees you flying all the way across the continent. And if they have a competitive game back at home a few days later? Would that be a fun situation for their coach do you think? Flying there and back while he's got qualifiers to think about?

And as O'Neill pointed out, it can disrupt a team's momentum. If a small country like Ireland are having a blip the last thing they'll want is to play a French side who will be taking these games very seriously.

You may scoff at those who ponder something fishy in the former French international Michel Platini bringing in an unprecedented move like this two years before his country France is set to host the Euros, but I think you'll find a lot of fans regard this as very questionable timing.

Worth pointing out too that 'UEFA president Michel Platini has confirmed that France will join the qualifying group containing five teams, which will contain none of England, Germany, Italy, Spain or the Netherlands due to television rights reasons.'

In my view, the whole idea stinks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

England
    Israel
    Estonia
    N Ireland/ Moldova
    Andorra/ San Marino

Been far too long since we played a competitive with England, and I honestly think we could take them at Wembley (and then probably get beat at home :pac::pac:). Estonia are awful, and Belfast away isn't the hardest away game on that list.

Out of curiousity, is it regarded as customary/ tradition, or even compulsory, that you must train in the away countries facilities a day or two before the match? Hardly see the point in spending two days in Belfast training when it is a 90 minute drive from Portmarnock (also I doubt we were hanging around Belfast a second longer than we needed to be there in 1993)

edit- we flew up and back! Just watched the clips there. Different times!

Corholio wrote: »
    Well the International manager has come out and said he'd prefer not to be in that group, so it can't have been that good of an idea if countries have a resistance to it. Teams shouldn't have a reluctant draw forced upon them. I don't think it's any conspiracy at all, just think it's a rather unusual, silly idea.

Well ultimately its a 'would you prefer competitive games or would you prefer friendlies?' question that MON was asked. And no player or manager is going to answer 'friendlies', so I don't see anything particularly shocking in MON saying he'd prefer to be in one of the 6 team groups. (Fwiw its worth I reckon his paymasters would much prefer home and away friendlies against France rather than trying to flog tickets for a home game against San Marino or funding another trip to Kazakstan etc).
    The problem has already been outlined - there is a compulsion to play France. I don't think you are seeing the big picture here and the grief this will cause.

Let's say you are an eastern European team like Azerbaijan or Kazakhstan. You get paired with France in your group. Now you have an away game with the French that sees you flying all the way across the continent. And if they have a competitive game back at home a few days later? Would that be a fun situation for their coach do you think? Flying there and back while he's got qualifiers to think about?
    Well it won't be Kazakstan as they are a 6th seed, and Azerbaijan would love it. But fair enough, send a second team if its that much of a problem.
    And as O'Neill pointed out, it can disrupt a team's momentum. If a small country like Ireland are having a blip the last thing they'll want is to play a French side who will be taking these games very seriously.

Again, every 'momentum disrupting' bye week we've ever had we've organised ourselves a friendly. One group has only 5 teams so momentum was going to be disturbed anyway.
    You may scoff at those who ponder something fishy in the former French international Michel Platini bringing in an unprecedented move like this two years before his country France is set to host the Euros, but I think you'll find a lot of fans regard this as very questionable timing.

Worth pointing out too that 'UEFA president Michel Platini has confirmed that France will join the qualifying group containing five teams, which will contain none of England, Germany, Italy, Spain or the Netherlands due to television rights reasons.'

In my view, the whole idea stinks.

I'm not scoffing, though I genuinely wonder what posters think France should do on these 10 game nights when because of the new condensed structure there is no other European team to play other than this one team. 10 friendlies against South American teams in preparation for the Euros maybe? Any ideas?

I'm not sure why you've highlighted the teams who can't be in the 5 team groups - all this does his highlight that none of these friendlies will be against the big glamour teams which surely makes it even less of a conspiracy from the French pov.

Out of curiousity, is it regarded as customary/ tradition, or even compulsory, that you must train in the away countries facilities a day or two before the match? Hardly see the point in spending two days in Belfast training when it is a 90 minute drive from Portmarnock (also I doubt we were hanging around Belfast a second longer than we needed to be there in 1993)

Fairly sure its compulsory now for the away team to be in the city of the game no less than 24 hours before kickoff and to fulfil certain media requirements (basically the manager and a few senior players appearing in front of the sponsors partners logo at a press conference).
    Training on the pitch is voluntary but must be made available weather conditions permitting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

Well it won't be Kazakstan as they are a 6th seed, and Azerbaijan would love it. But fair enough, send a second team if its that much of a problem.

I'm confused as to why the French want any part in this symbolic qualification lark. They are hardly going to pack out the Stade de France for a Tuesday night friendly against the Azerbaijan reserve team (not to mention I can't imagine too many of their travelling fans willing to part money to go to a friendly on the outskirts of Chechnya in the middle of winter). I would imagine they will play a few of these matches at smaller stadia around the country (the same as Italy and Spain do for low profile internationals) but surely they would have served themselves better trying to set up a few exhibition friendlies against the likes of Brazil, Argentina, USA etc. It would certainly provide better match practice than doing a cricket score against a Latvian under 21's side sent because the manager is resting his real team for the real match at the weekend.

I'm confused as to why the French want any part in this symbolic qualification lark. They are hardly going to pack out the Stade de France for a Tuesday night friendly against the Azerbaijan reserve team (not to mention I can't imagine too many of their travelling fans willing to part money to go to a friendly on the outskirts of Chechnya in the middle of winter). I would imagine they will play a few of these matches at smaller stadia around the country (the same as Italy and Spain do for low profile internationals) but surely they would have served themselves better trying to set up a few exhibition friendlies against the likes of Brazil, Argentina, USA etc. It would certainly provide better match practice than doing a cricket score against a Latvian under 21's side sent because the manager is resting his real team for the real match at the weekend.

I actually doubt that Latvia (or suchlike) would send a reserve team/U21s to France - eastern european countries tend to send strongish enough teams for their friendlies at the moment anyway - new country pride and all that.
    Doubtless there's the potential for the odd farce but that exists in friendlies anyway. And agreed France'll probably play some games outside Paris in some of the other 2016 cities.

Re your point about organising friendlies against Brazil/Argentina/USA etc - I think ultimately France want European opposition as they are preparing for the Euros. Games against say Bosnia, Denmark, Turkey, Wales & Moldova (a plausible draw) would suit them more.
    I'm sure they'll sneak in a Brazil friendly somewhere along the line anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I don't mind the France issue as much as the fact that they can't be drawn in a group with the bigger nations from pot 1 for TV audience issues, it stinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I don't mind the France issue as much as the fact that they can't be drawn in a group with the bigger nations from pot 1 for TV audience issues, it stinks.

I don't see how that is a problem ?

What is the issue with it, they will only be friendly games anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I don't see how that is a problem ?

What is the issue with it, they will only be friendly games anyway

IMO, it gives credence to the idea that UEFA/FIFA are only interested in the bigger nations and as such, do things like this and changing the rules for how playoffs are seeded if one of the big boys finds themselves there.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

keith16 wrote: »
    IMO, it gives credence to the idea that UEFA/FIFA are only interested in the bigger nations and as such, do things like this and changing the rules for how playoffs are seeded if one of the big boys finds themselves there.

Hard to argue with this point tbh.

and I wonder if many will complain if we lose a top player to a stupid injury/tackle in one of the 'friendlies'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Agueroooo wrote: »
    and I wonder if many will complain if we lose a top player to a stupid injury/tackle in one of the 'friendlies'

Once it's not a top, top player it'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Wouldn't mind if people posted as the draw came through. Can't get it from over here in Australia......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

keith16 wrote: »

Are you talking about France's inclusion in a group or the fact that big nations will be playing in 6 team groups ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Eamon not used to getting up early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Oh Christ will they just get on with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Neeson wrote: »

Hasn't been to bed I reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Utter farce of a competition - something for everyone in the audience. Bring back the good old days - 8 teams! :pac:

• Advertisement

He's looking rough alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Here's me watchin on sky.... Bollix... Dunphy all day!

Essien wrote: »
    Hasn't been to bed I reckon

Doubt Darragh has either. His hair has flattened down after a night out with the bitches in coppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

A week of football??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Feck it. Bartez didn't drop the cup :(

Here's Gianni

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

his teeth jaysus :eek:

Crap pot two at the end

What do they mean best placed third place qualifies? Do all third places play each other in a qualifier after the group?

Russia did not win in 88 George

• Advertisement

What do they mean best placed third place qualifies? Do all third places play each other in a qualifier after the group?

8 out 9 of the third place sides go into a play off

Best third place is the team who finished third with highest points goes steaifht through. The rest (8) teams go into a draw which is seeded for a qualifier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Group D and D to be avoided at all costs

Group D and D to be avoided at all costs

I'd be happy with Group E though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

irishmover wrote: »
    I'd be happy with Group E though.

I definitely fancy our chances there :)

I am watching it here too and it shows the pots as they are announced

when is pot two being drawn? I could nip down to the shops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭The Narrator

RTE also have it online.

http://www.rte.ie/live/

• Advertisement

dubmick wrote: »
    when is pot two being drawn? I could nip down to the shops

At the end, the last one to be drawn

Pretty sure they're working backwards so our pot is last.

The four mods of the apocalypse are on the way to your house

What are the political reasons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Why can't gilbralter be drawn with Spain?

England v San Marino, tricky!

• Advertisement

MrMac84 wrote: »

Does that really need explaining?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭The Narrator

Politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Why is everyone complaining about France.

The number of teams that will be free to play friendlies will be down as FIFA have cut there number of breaks.

All groups have even teams so no team in Europe other than that team in the uneven group to play.

All other continents will also be playing qualification games on those weeks.

How is that englands 1st time facing San Marino

Political reasons, for which I couldn't be bothered explaining.

Politics shouldn't be brought into it. Hope England don't get Ireland or a few boys will go wild.

• Advertisement
Advertisement