Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 draw on Sunday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Idbatterim wrote: »
    they are far tougher groups IMO. The travelling would also have been far worse...

Group A: Netherlands, Kazakhstan, Iceland, Latvia, Turkey, Czech Republic

Group G: Russia, Liechtenstein, Moldova, Montenegro, Austria, Sweden

Wow. I only now just copped that Sweden and Austria were put together once again. That's the group of death for me when you throw in Russia, and a Montenegro side who are far better than their placing suggests. One good team going to miss out there whatever happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Good ould George, talking about a match that happened back in 1987 as an omen.

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

When will we know what city the German away game will be?

Not sure how they decide these things.

Last two were in Koln and Stuttgart, might be a different one this time

They will let us know soon i am sure. They are normally very quick.

I would assume it will be Veltins Arean, Signal Iduna, Düsseldorf or Leipzig. All seem due a big gig from the DFB. Any of the first 3 would do me grand. All reachable from home in 30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Around when will qualifying start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I do think its not too bad a group...

Germany, they'll piss this group no doubt
    Poland, on paper they have some serious talent but seem to be very inconsistent on the pitch, they can be beaten
    Scotland, despite the amazing turnaround under Stracthan, I don't particularly fear them, I'd genuinely have been more afraid of wales
    Georgia , for most an unknown quantity, but their recent record is 6 defeats, 1 draw & 1 win in their last 8 games, one of which was a 4-0 defeat against us, so I'd like to think we'll take 6 points off them
    Gibraltar, will be pretty much the a walk over I'd imagine, but they did get a great result against slovakia in their first game, but in saying that i don't know how strong a team slovakia fielded either

Germany to win the group, with Scotland, Poland & Ourselves fighting it out for 2nd place which I think we can achieve, although our inability in the past to put teams to the sword could come backand bite us with regards to the Gibraltar games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Around when will qualifying start?

I think it's usually September

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

On the paper, it will be an easy group for Germany alright...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Moscow is a fortress for Russia, also Sweden and Austria we know from last time out, now obviously we couldnt have been drawn again Sweden as they were also seconds seeds. But they would be better than poland I reckon and Austria are definitely better, than Scotland. Alaba makes a big impact for Austria, the way Ibrahimovic does for Sweden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Sunday the 7th of September away to Georgia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Sunday the 7th of September away to Georgia

Where are you seeing this??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Where are you seeing this??

Fixtures on the fai twitter.

Sorry can't post link right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

On the rte soccer twitter page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

BhK0bvMIcAAPYas.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

That was quick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

That's a pretty bad fixture list for Ireland imho. I've always reckoned that on the double-game weeks (Oct-14, Sep-15 and Oct-15) it's preferable to have one hard game + one easier game. That way you never had two tough games back-to-back in the span of 4 days and you can also manage your yellows/suspensions better. I think Scotland have already got the edge on us in this regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Germany at home and Poland away the last 2 games. Bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

That was quick

UEFA are sorting all fixtures now, hench why it was easy to include France

Stops the strong teams in the group loading there fixtures at the start to get points on board.

Away First game and last too.

Was hoping to avoid Georgia away first game.

Gibraltar will be playing "home" games in Portugal

Norn Iron got better draw then us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I'm surprised Kosovo were not included in the draw. They are recognized as an independent state by the USA, a majority of the EU and indeed Ireland.

Although again Spain do not recognize them or Russia or Serbia.

I'm surprised Kosovo were not included in the draw. They are recognized as an independent state by the USA, a majority of the EU and indeed Ireland.

May not be a member of UEFA yet

enough teams in europe as we speak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Do Spain recognize Gibraltar though ?

Do Spain recognize Gibraltar though ?

Nope which is why they could not be in the same group as each other

Hopefully get Germany in Stuttgart if its possible.

Scotland will be in Ibrox or Parkhead I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

enough teams in europe as we speak

Meh, you will nostalgically look back on this as 'small Europe' when we have Crimea, The Republic of Western Ukraine, Manx Island, Catalonia and the 10 states that emerged during the Italian break-up of 2023.

Meh, you will nostalgically look back on this as 'small Europe' when we have Crimea, The Republic of Western Ukraine, Manx Island, Catalonia and the 10 states that emerged during the Italian break-up of 2023.

haha.

Push the likes of Turkey into Asia for start. Although they be delighted Turkey.

Asians would cry.

Think I make the Scotland away game anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

thelad95 wrote: »
    We only qualified for the Euro's because Slovakia imploded and we got a miracle draw against Russia.

Didn't the draw against Russia not matter in the end? Ireland could have lost and still earned 2nd place.

• Advertisement

Aenaes wrote: »
    Didn't the draw against Russia not matter in the end? Ireland could have lost and still earned 2nd place.

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

The tricolour flying at Ibrox and The Soldiers Song being played :D The zombies will self implode

The tricolour flying at Ibrox and The Soldiers Song being played :D The zombies will self implode

I would enjoy it though;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Three away games in first four fixtures is a bit rough. But then have three home games in next four. Should be looking tomake that second block of four count. Home against Scotland, Poland and Georgia and away to Gibraltar. 10 or 12 points being extremely optimistic there? Should be the aim anyway. Seven or eight probably the realistic outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

The lack of Friday evening fixtures is good. Only one Friday match during the league season, and that's not until 2015, so the FAI will be able to work the league fixtures around it. Could possibly designate that as a Cup weekend, and have all matches on a Saturday or Sunday.

The last round of games for the First Division this season will have to be changed, though. Originally fixed for Saturday the 11th of October, but it clashes with the home Gibraltar match. I wonder will they be moved forward to the Friday, which clashes with the Premier Division matches.

Still, better than the last two qualifiers, where a number of clashes occurred and club matches had to be re-fixed from the usual Friday evening spots.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    The lack of Friday evening fixtures is good. Only one Friday match during the league season, and that's not until 2015, so the FAI will be able to work the league fixtures around it. Could possibly designate that as a Cup weekend, and have all matches on a Saturday or Sunday.

The last round of games for the First Division this season will have to be changed, though. Originally fixed for Saturday the 11th of October, but it clashes with the home Gibraltar match. I wonder will they be moved forward to the Friday, which clashes with the Premier Division matches.

Still, better than the last two qualifiers, where a number of clashes occurred and club matches had to be re-fixed from the usual Friday evening spots.

Ya hopefully thats one good thing to come out of this.

Why, Hampden Park is playable

Why, Hampden Park is playable

They were saying games will be spread out on Scottish papers just few days ago.

I will link one up here in little bit

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

fixtures released yet lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

Germany will win the group, 2nd is doable, Poland and Scotland are no great shakes, Worse case scenario we finish 3rd, If we end up playing in the playoffs, We will go up against other teams who finished 3rd, If we fail to qualify O'Neill and Keane deserve the sack

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

You mean like the Union flag flying above Celtic Park and God Save the Queen being played during the Commonwealth Games ? ;)

They will choose Parkhead anyway, it's the bigger one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Not as much as the Union flag flying above Celtic Park and God Save the Queen being played during the Commonwealth Games ;)

Did you say you were from Belgium earlier?

Lennonist wrote: »
    Did you say you were from Belgium earlier?

What does that have to do with anything ?

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/celtic-and-rangers-vie-for-euro-2016-ties-1-3316833

This one mentioned the reason being Commonwealth games.

We play Scotland away in November so....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

The area of Gibraltar is less then the area of the Phoenix Park.

We struggled to beat San Marino ;)

Although to be fair we were managed by the worst manager that has ever lived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The last two fixtures are trickier than I would have wanted. We will need to start well. I think six points from the opening two games are a must.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Germany v Gibraltar on 14 November

I'll put that one down to a home win.

Gibraltar's games will be played in Portugal, at the Estadio Algarve.
    It can hold the entire population of Gibraltar.

• Advertisement
Advertisement