Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 draw on Sunday

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

I'd love to get over to the Algarve for the Gibraltar game in Sep 2015 could make a good few days out of it.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Gibraltar's games will be played in Portugal, in a stadium that can hold the entire population :pac:

Yeah nice stadium that was built for Euro 2004 and has been hardly used after it! They were going to knock it a couple of years ago at least they've found a handy use for it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Meglamonia wrote: »
    I'd love to get over to the Algarve for the Gibraltar game in Sep 2015 could make a good few days out of it.

Could it be in Algarve?

If so im gone.

Could it be in Algarve?

If so im gone.

Yeah it's in that stadium just outside Faro, so I was told!

I'm pretty sure that's where they're going to be playing they're home games, it better be true that's what I was excited about :P

link: http://www.theportugalnews.com/news/gibraltar-to-play-home-games-in-faro/29630

"Until their new stadium is completed, Gibraltar will play their home matches in Faro, Portugal. Long-running political tension over sovereignty means they cannot play in neighbouring Spain." taken from eurosport

Meglamonia wrote: »
    Yeah it's in that stadium just outside Faro, so I was told!

I'm pretty sure that's where they're going to be playing they're home games, it better be true that's what I was excited about :P

link: http://www.theportugalnews.com/news/gibraltar-to-play-home-games-in-faro/29630

"Until their new stadium is completed, Gibraltar will play their home matches in Faro, Portugal. Long-running political tension over sovereignty means they cannot play in neighbouring Spain." taken from eurosport

Lovely Hurling!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I cant make Tblisi. I have a exam in Belfast and I have trouble deciding which is worse

this might be the one

estadio-algarve.jpg

I cant make Tblisi. I have a exam in Belfast and I have trouble deciding which is worse

Have been to Georgia capital.

Trust me you wont be missing much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Lovely Hurling!!

Speaking on Hurling the Ireland vs Georgia campaign opener is on the same day as the All Ireland hurling final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Ireland v Scotland

13 JUNE 2015.

Have Ireland ever played a competitive qualifier for any major tournament so late in June?

• Advertisement

Ireland v Scotland

13 JUNE 2015.

Have Ireland ever played a competitive qualifier for any major tournament so late in June?

Remember playing Austria around same time, but that was in 1995.

I will try check date if can

Ireland v Scotland

13 JUNE 2015.

Nearly!;)

http://www.11v11.com/matches/republic-of-ireland-v-austria-11-june-1995-245713/

Ireland v Scotland

13 JUNE 2015.

That was 11 June 1995. . . .The infamous Harry Ramsden Challenge Match

Have been to Georgia capital.

Trust me you wont be missing much.

Sweet. That was the bogey away fixture. Glad I have a valid excuse

Tony Polster is still a ****

That was 11 June 1995. . . .The infamous Harry Ramsden Challenge Match

Didn't they have something of a bender in Limerick as well?

We drew with the mighty Lichtenstein week before.

Was the start of the wheels coming off for Jack at the time.

Such a pity cause we got off to great start beating North away and Portugal at home in our group.

Then it all exploded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Felexicon

It's a pity we didn't draw Ukraine. I think the "Best fans in the world" could have taken over freedom square and brought an end to the civil unrest in the country.

Given your username you might be interested to know that he managed FC Admira Wacker most recently in 2013

;)

• Advertisement

We drew with the mighty Lichtenstein week before.

Was the start of the wheels coming off for Jack at the time.

Such a pity cause we got off to great start beating North away and Portugal at home in our group.

Then it all exploded.

With an equally horrific performance in Vienna

That performance meant nothing to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Georgia v Ireland, Sun 7 September 2014, KO 5pm
    Ireland v Gibraltar, Sat 11 October 2014, KO 5pm
    Germany v Ireland, Tue 14 October 2014, KO 7.45pm
    Scotland v Ireland, Fri 14 November 2014, KO 7.45pm
    Ireland v Poland, Sun 29 March 2015, KO 7.45pm
    Ireland v Scotland, Sat 13 June 2015, KO 5pm
    Gibraltar v Ireland, Fri 4 September 2015, KO 7.45pm
    Ireland v Georgia, Mon 7 September 2015, KO 7.45pm
    Ireland v Germany, Thu 8 October 2015, KO 7.45pm
    Poland v Ireland, Sun 11 October 2015, KO 7.45pm

So lads what do you think?? ... second well within our grasp imo, won't be easy but I think we'll have enough to see off Scotland and Poland.

Jesus ya it was awful.

McGrath got a bullet header.

Was game over even before we got to Portugal.

Jesus ya it was awful.

As bad as that qualifying campaign was we still finished second on Goal Difference . . . with Northern Ireland losing out.

Now 6 of the 8 second placed teams qualified for England96. . . the two worst second placed teams were us and. . . .The Netherlands - who just happened to have many of the 1996 Champions League winning team (Ajax) in their squad.

For the last spot we played Holland in a play-off in Liverpool . . . and lost 2-0

Jesus ya it was awful.

Then the trip to Lisbon in the lashings of rain watching them getting another whipping

• Advertisement

As bad as that qualifying campaign was we still finished second on Goal Difference . . . to Northern Ireland.

Now 6 of the 8 second placed teams qualified for England96. . . the two worst second placed teams were us and. . . .The Netherlands - who just happened to have many of the 1996 Champions League winning team (Ajax) in their squad.

For the last spot we played Holland in a play-off in Liverpool . . . and lost 2-0
    Then the trip to Lisbon in the lashings of rain watching them getting another whipping

Ah stop lads these things are too painful. I remember them too well.. Jesus ye will mention Macedonia in 1997 and 99 next:pac::pac:

irishfeen wrote: »
    Georgia v Ireland, Sun 7 September 2014, KO 5pm
    Ireland v Gibraltar, Sat 11 October 2014, KO 5pm
    Germany v Ireland, Tue 14 October 2014, KO 7.45pm
    Scotland v Ireland, Fri 14 November 2014, KO 7.45pm
    Ireland v Poland, Sun 29 March 2015, KO 7.45pm
    Ireland v Scotland, Sat 13 June 2015, KO 5pm
    Gibraltar v Ireland, Fri 4 September 2015, KO 7.45pm
    Ireland v Georgia, Mon 7 September 2015, KO 7.45pm
    Ireland v Germany, Thu 8 October 2015, KO 7.45pm
    Poland v Ireland, Sun 11 October 2015, KO 7.45pm

So lads what do you think?? ... second well within our grasp imo, won't be easy but I think we'll have enough to see off Scotland and Poland.

My immediate thoughts were that if we cant secure second spot from this group then the players should take a long hard look at themselves, then very quickly realised that the Scottish and polish players will be thinking the exact same thing

Ah stop lads these things are too painful. I remember them too well.. Jesus ye will mention Macedonia in 1997 and 99 next:pac::pac:

I remember them only too well.

The 3-2 in 1997 was probably equal second worst performance ever by an irish team in the last 30 years

Interesting to see where the German FA choose to play our game in Germany on 14 October.

My immediate thoughts were that if we cant secure second spot from this group then the players should take a long hard look at themselves, then very quickly realised that the Scottish and polish players will be thinking the exact same thing
    I think the Scots are the most unpredictable - the will massively raise their game against us home and away and have actually started to hit a bit of form lately.

If we can take even a point home or away against die Germans it might make all the difference in the final shake up, we have to beat Scotland, Poland, Georgia and Gibraltar at home - its as simple as that really. We should be well able to do that (beat and drew with Poland last year).

• Advertisement

Interesting to see where the German FA choose to play our game in Germany on 14 October.

It wasnt the German FA who decided it? Its a computer in Uefa

why was it interesting though?

It wasnt the German FA who decided it? Its a computer in Uefa

why was it interesting though?

Interesting to see which CITY the German FA choose where the Ireland match is to be played.

:rolleyes:

Interesting to see which CITY the German FA choose where the Ireland match is to be played.

Ah sorry sorry 100pc read it wrong dude.

Hopefully Stuttgart.

Ah sorry sorry 100pc read it wrong dude.

Hopefully Stuttgart.

It was Stuttgart in 2007

Koln last year.

I'm predicting somewhere like Frankfurt or Hamburg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

That decision will be made on he 21st of March at the German FA's AGM, so I was reading on the Sport Bild website

Lars1916 wrote: »
    That decision will be made on he 21st of March at the German FA's AGM, so I was reading on the Sport Bild website

I say everyone in Germany was celebrating when we came out of hat.:P

I say everyone in Germany was celebrating when we came out of hat.:P

Those German guys who were in Tolka, when the two sides met in October 2012 had some fun alright, and Shels were beating Cork. Maybe one of the best matches under the reign of a certain manager ;)

From Die Welt - Translated with Google Chrome
    "The Irish and Scots are traces of sympathy and a lot of empty beer kegs left," was the first reaction of DFB president Wolfgang Niersbach.

What the hell does that mean? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Its a very tough group for ROI. We might get 3rd spot or 2nd with a massive effort. Poland and Scotland will give us tons of trouble. Hope we make France of course.

From Die Welt

I think he is calling us little pixie heads who drink loads of beer following ****e football teams:pac:

• Advertisement

I think he is calling us little pixie heads who drink loads of beer following ****e football teams:pac:
    .... and the man wouldn't be far wrong ;)

.... and the man wouldn't be far wrong ;)

You're right.

Only lost 9-1 on aggreate to Germany in past 2 games.

Lets see if we can keep it to 8 this time.

Seriously though we have a chance at second but will need to beat Scotland and Poland twice from 4 games and max lose 1.

From Die Welt - Translated with Google Chrome

Translated without Google, but by me, ie. German native:

They will be very much liked, but will leave a few empty beer kegs behind.

'Sympathy' as a German word means, people like you, it has nothing to to with pity ;)

You're right.

Only lost 9-1 on aggreate to Germany in past 2 games.

Lets see if we can keep it to 8 this time.

Seriously though we have a chance at second but will need to beat Scotland and Poland twice from 4 games and max lose 1.
    Aye yeah I think the German games could almost be wrote off but look even a point and a good performance would be a massive plus... Beat Scotland, Poland at home and draw/win the away games and we'll be grand - I would be surprised if we didn't get 2nd in the group actually because we have nothing to fear in this group.

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Translated without Google, but by me, ie. German native:

They will be very much liked, but will leave a few empty beer kegs behind.

'Sympathy' as a German word means, people like you, it has nothing to to with pity ;)
    :) Ah thanks mate, things can easily be lost in translation. From a German point of view it couldn't have been much better??

Aye yeah I think the German games could almost be wrote off but look even a point and a good performance would be a massive plus... Beat Scotland, Poland at home and draw/win the away games and we'll be grand - I would be surprised if we didn't get 2nd in the group actually because we have nothing to fear in this group.

Ya, Germany might be big game though. I could see Poland being well up for Germany game both home and away and they might sneak result against them.

I would gladly take a point from 2 German games now. If somebody told me that and we get 4 points from Poland I be fairly confident.

But our record against teams around us has to improve. Only the likes of Andorra and San Marino have worse records. That is embarrassing.

Slovakia is the only team in 12 years we have beaten in competitive game that was from Pot 1, 2 or 3.

Just gotta improve on that crap.

:) Ah thanks mate, things can easily be lost in translation. From a German point of view it couldn't have been much better??

Didn't hear any complaints yet ;)

But then, there is no real competition for the first place, which is a bit boring...like the German Bundesliga :confused:

From Bild.de
    The groups for the European Championship Qualifiers are drawn, and Germany to wait impossible task: It goes against Ireland, Poland, Scotland, Georgia and Gibraltar.
    The group D is a real yawn group. The qualification seems scratched before the first game. Too weak the Irish and Scots, too small, the Georgians and the amateur team from Gibraltar.
    German Tabloids not too impressed with the quality of Group D :)

From Bild.de

German Tabloids not too impressed with the quality of Group D :)

BILD.de just copied the 'boring' part of their statement of me :P

• Advertisement

Ya, Germany might be big game though. I could see Poland being well up for Germany game both home and away and they might sneak result against them.

I would gladly take a point from 2 German games now. If somebody told me that and we get 4 points from Poland I be fairly confident.

But our record against teams around us has to improve. Only the likes of Andorra and San Marino have worse records. That is embarrassing.

Slovakia is the only team in 12 years we have beaten in competitive game that was from Pot 1, 2 or 3.

Just gotta improve on that crap.
    Poland didn't seem to be up to very much the last time we played them home and away - I know this will be competitive but as you said 4 points wouldn't be beyond belief.

It will be interesting to see our tactical approach under Martin & Roy - while people do take the piss out of Trap he did have us very hard to beat for the most.

Advertisement