Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Restaurants/takeaways in Bray

• 16-02-2014 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭

I noticed today that the restaurant on Bray Main St. (ex. Shelby's Brasserie, Spanish tapas restaurant and then Indian) is set to reopen "soon" as a Greek restaurant, (un)imaginatively called El Greco. Could be interesting, and I wish them well, although I still think the size and (lack of) atmosphere of the place may work against them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

When will they realise that the niche food doesn't seem to work in Bray. We've seen so many close down over the last few years. What would work well is something like a Tex Mex place. Burgers, wings, fajitas etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Alun wrote: »
    I noticed today that the restaurant on Bray Main St. (ex. Shelby's Brasserie, Spanish tapas restaurant and then Indian) is set to reopen "soon" as a Greek restaurant, (un)imaginatively called El Greco. Could be interesting, and I wish them well, although I still think the size and (lack of) atmosphere of the place may work against them.

true, but didn't we used to say that about the sizzlers/mt. katmandu location? mt. katmandu seems to be doing well, always people in it when going passed. maybe these ill fated spots on the main street just need to be something different to survive.
    When will they realise that the niche food doesn't seem to work in Bray. We've seen so many close down over the last few years. What would work well is something like a Tex Mex place. Burgers, wings, fajitas etc.
    we have so many burger places, and for fajitas try 3 amigos in the albert walk they're pretty decent.

I mean a sit-down place.

I tried the 3 Amigos and it was the worst food I've ever had from a takeaway. It was freezing cold, the chicken was grey and the cheese had gone hard on the cold chips. Never again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,108 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You mean niche mexican food?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Something like that. Not exclusively Mexican. A mixture of foods that aren't to a a particular taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,969 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Id like to see an Eddie Rockets style place you could go in and sit down and have a burger/chips/drink and dip for around a tenner or under, it would do very well. Theres nowhere cheap to eat out in Bray anymore, Eddie Rockets has gone so far downhill the fries arent even cooked properly and the prices just keep creeping up, it used to be a tenner to eat a full meal there now its sneaking towards 12-15 Euro.

Chippers in Bray are the worst in the country imo, undercooked and absolutely drenched in grease, no decent fish and chips in supposedly one of the main seaside towns? All you get is a block of greasy tasteless mush made from unidentified fish. All the chips are the same from every single place aswell, those big fat greasy blobs that taste more like old mashed potato than chips that every takeaway in Ireland seemed to switch over to a few years ago.

Saving me a fortune in takeaway fees and Im cooking cheap/healthy at home though, I was a pig when I was in NUIG, Galway still has decent places to spend your money.

Capri at the Dart Station is the best chipper in Bray. Garlic sauce is immense, they give you loads of chips and they have great meal deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭insomniac86

Thargor wrote: »
    Id like to see an Eddie Rockets style place you could go in and sit down and have a burger/chips/drink and dip for around a tenner or under, it would do very well. Theres nowhere cheap to eat out in Bray anymore, Eddie Rockets has gone so far downhill the fries arent even cooked properly and the prices just keep creeping up, it used to be a tenner to eat a full meal there now its sneaking towards 12-15 Euro.

Chippers in Bray are the worst in the country imo, undercooked and absolutely drenched in grease, no decent fish and chips in supposedly one of the main seaside towns? All you get is a block of greasy tasteless mush made from unidentified fish. All the chips are the same from every single place aswell, those big fat greasy blobs that taste more like old mashed potato than chips that every takeaway in Ireland seemed to switch over to a few years ago.

Saving me a fortune in takeaway fees and Im cooking cheap/healthy at home though, I was a pig when I was in NUIG, Galway still has decent places to spend your money.

I'd still pay the current price for Eddie Rockets if they went back to making their food back when they opened in Bray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Milano's on the seafront do great chips - cooked through and not greasy.

They also throw in chips if you only order a burger or kebab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

+ 1 for milanos. there's 7 in my house and 3 bags of chips is loads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

+ 1 for milanos. there's 7 in my house and 3 bags of chips is loads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Really, you think the whole of Bray with all the chippers and there are no good ones?

Henry & Rose used to be good but don't know now, was always pricey.

My favourite is Lino's on the Dublin Road, nice chips and always busy.

As for a cheap burger and chips under a tenner. Try the Capri at the Dart station but do remember that there is a price/quality relationship and either way chips are not exactly top class healthy food.

Also, how can you say Eddie Rockets don't even cook their chips properly as if it's a company policy when all they are are deep fried McCains?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

The one where Forte used to be now, does really good deals and their fish and chips are lovely. :) Also, shoutout to Henry and Rose in Kilcoole! ;)

murpho999 wrote: »
    Really, you think the whole of Bray with all the chippers and there are no good ones?

Henry & Rose used to be good but don't know now, was always pricey.

My favourite is Lino's on the Dublin Road, nice chips and always busy.

As for a cheap burger and chips under a tenner. Try the Capri at the Dart station but do remember that there is a price/quality relationship and either way chips are not exactly top class healthy food.

Also, how can you say Eddie Rockets don't even cook their chips properly as if it's a company policy when all they are are deep fried McCains?
    Dont know what changed but they used to be the nicest fries in Ireland, last few times I was in there the quality had seriously slipped, I dont go there anymore.

Never been near Linos Ill give them a try thanks. The main problem for me with takeaways is they all seem to have switched to the same chips and friers a few years ago, the big chrome ones with the sliding doors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Dont know what changed but they used to be the nicest fries in Ireland, last few times I was in there the quality had seriously slipped, I dont go there anymore.

Never been near Linos Ill give them a try thanks. The main problem for me with takeaways is they all seem to have switched to the same chips and friers a few years ago, the big chrome ones with the sliding doors.

To be honest I find it hard to trust your judgement if you believd that Eddie Rockets which has always sold frozen McCains chips were the nicest in Ireland!

Yeah they were, they were perfect, just like the fries from In n' Out or any of the other nice places in the US, you need to go to a pub or restaurant to get proper chips anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Eddie's being compared to in n' out? wash out that mouth fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,108 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Thread split into separate thread by moderators

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2 helenraff

Have just eaten at this new Greek restaurant in Bray in the old Shelby's restaurant and really hope it survives as the food was delicious and brought us back to many happy holidays in Greece.
    One of the owners who served us is originally from Corfu from a small village called Messonghi where we have been on holidays years ago,hence the food served is traditional Greek food. All your favourites such as tzatziki, saganaki,moussaka,beef stifado, lamb kleftiko,chicken souvlaki to name a few.The prices are reasonable and the house wine we ordered was very good. Would really recommend a trip here if you like greek food or just if you like good food cooked well. We really hope it lasts.

Advertisement