Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training

Options
  • 19-02-2014 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi

Just wondering how much training people are doing this time of year. I'm interested to see what the general trend is i.e. number of sessions per day/week, session durations, type etc.
    I'm trying to guage where my training volume is at and how to tailor it to peak performance in the summer.

A quick background

Started tri in 2011
    Did some running and football previous to that
    Completed 9 sprint tri's so far with a 1:05 PB
    My run is decent, swim is ok and my bike needs work (they all need work but bike more so)

My aim for the year is to improve my sprint times and complete some olympics and possibly a half iron.

I've been training petty consistantly since christmas
    3 gym (30-40 mins),
    3/4 runs (long,tempo, speed,recovery)
    3 swims (45-60mins),
    2 bike (1 long 60 -80k, 1 interval 25 -40k (will do more as the evenings
    stretch)

I just wonder if i'm doing too much this early in the year?

Look forward to reading your replies :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

Im heading to Barcelona in May for the half challenge so im on a recovery this week of 11hrs, the bigger weeks consist of usually 14-16hrs

Thats usually broken down into 3 1hr swim sessions, 2 mixed drill runs and a long slow one, 2 90-105min bikes with drills and a 3.30-4hr long bike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Sprint and OD for me at the moment. I get in 8 sessions/week most weeks:

2xswim
    3xcycle (1 long, 2 commutes which can be hilly)
    3xruns (1 long, 1 speed, 1 with the kids in a buggy)

Usually 6-10 hour a week depending on how long the cycle is, or the long run. Depending on how I am feeling or what's coming up I might swap a cycle for a run or a swim, or a run for a turbo or whatever. I try to take every Saturday off at least.
    Doesn't vary too much timewise depending on the season for me- intensity does though.

"Too much" is hard to define- it depends on how you're feeling, and what else you've got going on at work or whatever, and how much you can recover from the training you're doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Why 3 gym sessions a week? Are you training to be a gym bunny or a triathlete:) What work are you typically doing in the gym?

No point gauging what others are doing, some could be doing more, some could be doing less. Its about finding out what works best for you. Bike work does look a bit light especially if you consider it a weak area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

not sure how this could help you but I was about to write down for myself what I have been doing lately since i havent done it for 3 years.

2 -3 swims a week 20-60min ( average 40 min ) average every 10 day 1 really hard swim
    swim distance and quality 200-400s missing. And my average speed in pool is about 1.40 per 100 unless i have somebody i can work off
    i have to really kick my a.. to go sub 1.30 for 100m intervals on my own. 400 m tt 5.37 in 50 m pool

since january 3 bikes 2 x commuting 42 min each way ( I go at pretty fair pace ( half ironman pace) ,1x 120ish k ( 5 of those rides since january (not a single 100k ride for whole 2013, 1 turbo session since jan 2013 but for strenght work i ride aoubt 10 k a week with my turbo on my back ;-)
    even with no training I do about 100-120 k a week on bike as i dodnt have a car.
    in feb i already have some 700 k its the quality thats missing. apart from naas duathlon i have pretty much 0 work over ftp
    my ftp would be about 3.7( more minus 0.1 than plus 0.1 watts per kg right now. so roughly just bellow or just above 300 watt

3-5 weekly 30 -60 k weekly. runs mostly running up and down with loads of breaks in between aobut 6 -10 k in 115 min . works out about roughly 35 k average a week . December and january was more like 55 k a week . (and 1 bike ride a week) .
    january i did one good run a week not a single quality run in february. again here the quality is missing as most of my running is done at about 4.40-5 k pace. and here and there a 3.45 km
    I do struggle to run sub 4 min 1 k intervals on my own the few times i run with others i enjoy going a bit faster. could do approx 37.30 min for 10 k
    doing those long bike rides made a massiv difference to my cycling and swimming as it brought my overall fitness up and should have kept my running at january level. losing 5-6 kg, ie race weight and i guess my run would be in quite decent shape. as over the last 2 years that was the sport that I kept a bit of base with approx 35 k an average.

aobut 10 core sessions since jan 2013 . glutes could do with some serious work the rest i am not too worried. i could do 1 pull up ( and for that i had to cheat) maybe 7proper push ups and hold a plank for 90 sec.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

Im doing about 10 hrs a week at the minute - training for IM Frankfurt. Will increase to about 12-16 ave from about 12 weeks out.

3 years of IM training now - my ave has just about hit 10 hrs. Below is what I am trying to do.

SPlit this year is 2-3 swims at 45 mins.
    trying to increase run frequency - 4 times last week - aiming for 5 this week. last week was 35k.
    bike - aim is 1-2 turbos and a long bike of 3-4hrs or replace a turbo with a commute - 24km each way.
    at least one 30mins strength session - preferably 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Mos Eisley

The gym sessions are
    Day 1 upper body
    Day 2 core
    Day 3 Legs

I think strength training is very important for injury prevention but you are right about bike training being a bit light. I'll probably cut strength workouts back closer to race season.

Thanks for all replies, very interesting reading

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Mos Eisley wrote: »
    The gym sessions are
    Day 1 upper body
    Day 2 core
    Day 3 Legs

I think strength training is very important for injury prevention but you are right about bike training being a bit light. I'll probably cut strength workouts back closer to race season.

Thanks for all replies, very interesting reading

Functionally relevant strength training is important.

If you include bench press and/or bicep curl in Day 1 then I would venture a guess that all three days are junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Mos Eisley

Day 1 dumbell press, flys, shoulder press, shoulder shruggs,curls, dips, pull ups
    Day 2 front/side planks, roller wheel, glute exercises, leg raises
    Day 3 squats, calf raises, weighted lunges, hamstring strenghtening (cant think of the name of the exercise !) box jumps

Maybe what I am is wrong but Ive been getting some decent returns from it. My body fat/ weight has dropped since I encorportaed weight training. Day 1 may not be tri specific but I think upper body strength is important for an overall healthy body. A little upperbody strength would surely come in handy for the swim as the stroke goes out the window towards the end of a race!!!
    The other 2 days are done with tri in mind and have their place in my opinion. But as I said in a earlier post, as the days get longer I will be spending less time in the gym and more on the bike.

Advertisement