Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you Cycle on the Link?

Options
  • 19-02-2014 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hey,

Hoping someone can answer this one.
    I can't get a clear answer, and I have asked a good number of people.

:confused:
    The 2 most common conflicting answers are:

Yes, its fine to cycle on it, but I won't when its busy.

OR

No, you can't cycle on the link its a dual carriageway.

Does anyone have a definite on this one, or we can hash out the merits of both.
    From my point of view I don't what to be on my bike somewhere I shouldn't.
    I am not overly familiar with Cork and thinking about cycling to work, early (6 am) and home usual time (5-6pm), the link would be a key part of my journey.
    I have seen some cyclists on the link on Saturdays & Sundays while driving but drivers around me and myself included did not seem to expect the cyclist to be there (not that cyclist was doing anything other than being in the left lane).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

willya wrote: »
    Hey,

Hoping someone can answer this one.
    I can't get a clear answer, and I have asked a good number of people.

:confused:
    The 2 most common conflicting answers are:

Yes, its fine to cycle on it, but I won't when its busy.

OR

No, you can't cycle on the link its a dual carriageway.

Does anyone have a definite on this one, or we can hash out the merits of both.
    From my point of view I don't what to be on my bike somewhere I shouldn't.
    I am not overly familiar with Cork and thinking about cycling to work, early (6 am) and home usual time (5-6pm), the link would be a key part of my journey.
    I have seen some cyclists on the link on Saturdays & Sundays while driving but drivers around me and myself included did not seem to expect the cyclist to be there (not that cyclist was doing anything other than being in the left lane).

Perfectly fine and totally legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

you can but you'd be fairly stupid to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Illegal to cycle on a motorway.
    Legal to cycle on a dual carriageway (but I believe you must be wearing a helmet and hi-vis garments)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

It's not a motorway and, as far as I know, there is no signage stating that cycling is prohibited. Having said that, it wouldn't be very safe to do so. There are probably alternative suitable routes available for your commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The South Link is a High-Quality Dual-Carriageway, it is not a motorway and motorway regulations do not apply. Cycling on it is perfectly legal. Whether or not it's a good idea is rather another matter...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    (but I believe you must be wearing a helmet and hi-vis garments)
    Lights are legally required after daylight but there is no legal requirement to wear a helmet nor hi-vis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Yes you can but you'll be taking your life in your hands. It's a busy, multi lane urban dual carriageway with no hard shoulders in places and weaving traffic and some very busy junctions and merges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

OP - Do you mean the South Link, from The Kinsale Rd Roundabout to The Elysian? Or, do you mean the South Ring Road/N40?

If it's the former, then it's perfectly safe to cycle the route as long as you follow the rules of the Road etc.

If it's the latter, then the Jack Lynch Tunnel is an issue - you're not allowed to cycle through it. (Scroll to the bottom of the page.)

http://www.jacklynchtunnel.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Illegal to cycle on a motorway.
    Legal to cycle on a dual carriageway (but I believe you must be wearing a helmet and hi-vis garments)

No requirement for cyclists to wear hi-vis or a helmet anywhere. Where does this silly myth come from. You must have reflectors on the bike at all time, lights after dark and a bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's perfectly legal to do so, only not through the tunnel.

I wouldn't do it though as I value my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 willya

Thanks All,

Looks like I can but I won't be cycling based on the advice.
    Good to have the right info all the same.
    OP - Do you mean the South Link, from The Kinsale Rd Roundabout to The Elysian? Or, do you mean the South Ring Road/N40?

It would've been from Booreenamana Rd to the Kinsale Rd. roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

willya wrote: »
    It would've been from Booreenamana Rd to the Kinsale Rd. roundabout.

Just go via Turner's Cross.
    (Ballinlough road, Douglas road, Capwell road, Turner's Cross, Curragh road, Kinsale road)

Advertisement