Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Needle in a haystack challenge with a reward (from Reddit)

Options
  • 19-02-2014 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

Ok so this thread on Reddit had me scouring the streets (via streetview)
    for a while but I'm not familiar with Dublin so maybe someone here could help.

Heres the house:
    tYL5fR9.jpg

Theres been loads of suggestions but heres some defining features you need to check for.

1: The terrace is layed out door window door window where as many terraces are window door door window. So that rules out many streets that i've seen.

2: The windows upstairs are thinner than the downstairs window and are not in line with the door or window

3: The window brick work has an angled feature instead of a 90 degree corner again something that rules out a lot of terraces.

4: Small front garden with low wall and Iron railing.(but that may be gone)

5: There is a vent betweent the downstairs window and the neighbours door and possibly another between the upstairs window and the neighbours upstairs window.

Also the OP on reddit was offering €150 into someones paypal if it could be found. He did already pay out some money to a person who helped find some family records so i think its legit.

Theres no guarantee that the house or terrace still exists, according to the OP the photo is from around 1900 - 1920.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Looks like a few of the houses on Chruch Street to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Church St is window window door door set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Don't know why, but it has the look of Fairview to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Looks like the buildings on the east side of New Row South which ties in with the census records mentioned in the reddit thread for Merchants Quay. Same number of bricks on above door detail and same window offsets. Eaves detail is not the same as the west side of the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

tricky D wrote: »
    east side of New Row South

Similar but no brick work detail on the windows and its door door window window as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

I know where that is

Bandara wrote: »
    I know where that is

Go claim your prize then or PM me the details. I'll totally post you the reward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Panda wrote: »
    Similar but no brick work detail on the windows and its door door window window as well.

Some of the houses (or one at least) would fit the door window door in the original photo, but the layout of the gardens (with the bricks) are different. Might have changed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Panda wrote: »
    Go claim your prize then or PM me the details. I'll totally post you the reward.

I'll want more than 150

That'll be between you and lludson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

pretty sure the house is in Belfast not Dublin - see : House/ancestry puzzle on reddit (Genealogy board)

shanew wrote: »
    pretty sure the house is in Belfast not Dublin - see : House/ancestry puzzle on reddit (Genealogy board)

Belfast! **** it, thanks for letting me know.

Advertisement