Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan leaf breakdown

Comments

Op when the car gets fixed make sure you get proper documentation of the repair work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Unfortunately with about 400 volts of DC power, you got to know what you're doing there is 0 room for mistake because one mistake and you're dead.

It will take time for Nissan technicians to get the experience required to be able to repair future Leaf's especially since failures are extremely rare.

And because failures are so rare this leaves me to seriously believe the car was abused in the sense that it could have been sitting days or weeks on very high state of charge or very low state of charge. It could have been plugged in all day every day for many weeks.

Correct madlad, a lot more dangerous than 230 AC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Correct madlad, a lot more dangerous than 230 AC.

I think most sensible people realise that due to the nature of the car - there is a need for care and time when fixing it - and it requires a lot of teamwork and time to get to the bottom of it.

What is unacceptable however is how Nissan have not kept the OP on the road with a replacement car.

That's totally unacceptable - even if it meant Nissan having to get a demonstrator Leaf to the Op for him/her to use.

Even if it meant organising a hire car for as long as it takes.

Even if heaven forbit - it meant having to allocate a Leaf from production - get it over to Ireland - register it - and give OP the use of it.

Everything that Nissan could or can do - should be done to keep their customer on the roads.

Even if Nissan Ireland wanted to wash their hands of it - because OP did not buy from them - Nissan Europe should intervene.

This outcome is a bit of a nightmare for Nissan as its BAD publicity for them - and it knocks on to their other models as a Quasqui potential customer may decide not to buy now if they think that's the service Nissan give when things go wrong.

So let me see now - that's Merc (long story), Mazda and now Nissan on my blacklist on cars I would NOT buy BRAND NEW.

All due to situations where all 3 have failed to do the right thing by customers.

New cars cost far too much to entertain crap service from the manufacturer when things go wrong.

And yes I know - bad service isn't unique to the 3 manufacturers ive mentioned.

All the manufacturers could end up on my black list yet :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mmitche

Hi all
    My leaf was transported to nissan Dublin over a week ago. My patience is being royally tested here as they've informed me that some part of the battery has failed and they're in contact with nissan Europe regarding the sourcing of replacement parts.
    All I've asked for is an approximate ETA on the repair. They told me to call again next week. 5 weeks with no replacement car and no repair eta = very shoddy service!
    Nissan! I really want to give a positive spin but you're making it very difficult!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

mmitche wrote: »
    Hi all
    My leaf was transported to nissan Dublin over a week ago. My patience is being royally tested here as they've informed me that some part of the battery has failed and they're in contact with nissan Europe regarding the sourcing of replacement parts.
    All I've asked for is an approximate ETA on the repair. They told me to call again next week. 5 weeks with no replacement car and no repair eta = very shoddy service!
    Nissan! I really want to give a positive spin but you're making it very difficult!

I would be demanding some sort of comp PLUS a replacement car at this point. Really beyond a joke now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

It is really very bad service.
    It looks like if something goes wrong, the service, parts supply and experience is the achilles heel of this thing.

It definitely time to be firm with them --- they amount of brand damage you can do is huge (whether justified or not). Whether its reliable or not, you do need a reliable dealer to help when something goes wrong.

In the meantime --- sorry for your pain --- but maybe this is better low cost solution....i think it ex-MadLad stock
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/sinclair-c5/6420514

Hi all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

I'd really think about getting a solicitor, its gone beyond a joke now and it seems to me they are treating you like a test mule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

robertxxx wrote: »
    I'd really think about getting a solicitor, its gone beyond a joke now and it seems to me they are treating you like a test mule.

This. You are being taken for a ride.

A solicitor will cost you €100 or less and will tell you your options. Nissan won't fob you off when they think they will be landed in court.

kyote00 wrote: »

2011-06-10154648.jpg

This is far better and I had it limited to 40 mph.

600 Watt Hr battery capable of taking me 40 mph for 12 miles or 25 miles at 15-20 mph 0 peddling.

Of course peddling significantly increases range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Do you have a thread going about that bike anywhere Madlad?

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »

Somewhere, will dig it out.

Found it,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056471184&page=2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Nice, pricey though, wish they were as cheap and popular as in Asia...

Nice, pricey though, wish they were as cheap and popular as in Asia...

Cheap can be horribly nasty and poor quality. Think kenbay electric bikes, horrendously over priced. These are dirt cheap Chinese bikes. And very underpowered. They would not handle any decent hill.

The bikes themselves cost about 100 Euro's add electrics another 400 max.

A word of warning to anyone thinking of buying a Kenbay electric bike

The below bike should not sell for more than 600 Euro's as the bike itself is worth about 100 Euro's and the electrics about 400-500 absolute max, the profit they are making on them is absurd, € 1,250 (EX VAT) ???? 1,550 Euro's is a disgrace.

http://www.electricbikes.ie/products/electric-bikes?product_id=53

These guys buy the bikes in large quantities for about 400 Euro's and ship them on the slow boat as cheap as possible.

It's the likes of them that put people off buying electric bikes.

For about 1600 Euro's you can buy a 2012 model Bike with a Bosch Electric motor on E-bay, perhaps 200 Shipping but still only 300 Euro's more than the Kenbay for a million times better quality and pulling power !!!

But enough hijacking. I must actually create another post on Boards warning people about the Kenbay rip off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

All I can see is the field full over lovely biodiesel
    2011-06-10154648.jpg

This is far better and I had it limited to 40 mph.

600 Watt Hr battery capable of taking me 40 mph for 12 miles or 25 miles at 15-20 mph 0 peddling.

Of course peddling significantly increases range.

Ha yeah looks good, it's especially beautiful with a blue sky and I love the smell of it. :D

Great news! Nissan just rang me to tell me that they've fixed the car! Because the car was purchased in the uk it was difficult to trace its history and nissan Europe were involved.
    It's going to be back by the end of the week! ;-)
    A charge control unit has been changed. I can't wait to get on the road......
    A great big thank you to Nissan dublin for sorting the issue... The technician that I talked to said that it was the most difficult problem they've yet had to resolve!

Nissan dublin are the only place in the country qualified to work on the battery innards, worth noting this if you experience a similar issue!

Excellent and about bloody time.

The charge control unit is exactly the same as the issue I linked to in earlier posts on leaftalk uk.

So it wasn't the battery.

I think this is the problem caused by certain public EVSE in the U.K and not a problem with the Leaf !

Anyway best of luck keep us posted woth your experience with the Leaf, maybe create a new thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'd be interested to know what the situation is if you didnt have any other option, but needing a car.

Been following this thread with interest. It's all well and good saying they are reliable, any car can breakdown at any moment, let's not kid ourselves. It's utterly important to know HOW a breakdown, under warranty, is dealt with.

I look into that for simple Pc component purchases, never mind a 20k+ purchase. I ASSUME when I'm buying something, it's reliable, that's a given. I wouldn't ever buy anything that wasn't.

After sales service and support is mightly important, and I know I've crossed the Leaf well and truely of my list.

That's an outragous situation for the OP, too nice imo. I'd have been asking for a courtesy car. It's not your problem they didn't have any, it's not your problem they don't have the correct infrastructure that requires parts to be shipped around the country before handling.

Your problem is paying for a car that has failed under warranty, and your being left in the lurch.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Been following this thread with interest. It's all well and good saying they are reliable, any car can breakdown at any moment, let's not kid ourselves. It's utterly important to know HOW a breakdown, under warranty, is dealt with.

After sales service and support is mightly important, and I know I've crossed the Leaf well and truely of my list.

Your problem is paying for a car that has failed under warranty, and your being left in the lurch.

A lot of this I'd imagine is the lack of experience of technicians here in Ireland, not a fault of theirs of course.

Unfortunately it's sometimes issues like this that gain experience and if the problem arises for someone else in the future then maybe it will be a much quicker fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,893 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Great to hear the car has been sorted OP, but I think you're being far, far too forgiving!

5/6 weeks off the road with no replacement car, no apology and no compensation? (correct me if I'm wrong here)

I don't care if it ran perfectly for the rest of the time I had it, it would seriously put me off ever buying another car from that dealer/marque. If anything I'd be tempted to get rid now that it's right again before the NEXT problem occurs and I was stranded again while they faffed around at my expense and inconvenience.

But that's me.. I've have an extremely low threshold for poor service or being messed about! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

As long as they gave me a suitable replacement, I'd be pretty patient with their learning experience. It's newish technology, new things to learn/troubleshoot etc.

Leaving me stranded without a car for 5-6 weeks would be an absolute no-no. I can understand that they may not have a "spare" car on day one, or maybe even day two. Come day three, I'd have camped out in their reception until I got a set of keys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,893 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Thoie wrote: »
    As long as they gave me a suitable replacement, I'd be pretty patient with their learning experience. It's newish technology, new things to learn/troubleshoot etc.

Leaving me stranded without a car for 5-6 weeks would be an absolute no-no. I can understand that they may not have a "spare" car on day one, or maybe even day two. Come day three, I'd have camped out in their reception until I got a set of keys.

I can see your point, but at the same time it's not up to me as the customer to facilitate their training programme either - especially if:

1) I had no car at all (as in the OP's case)

2) The car that was provided was costing me more than my own one to run while they went back to school on mine

At the very least he should be offered some sort of goodwill for his patience and willingness to work with them. Me though I wouldn't have let it get that far and like yourself would have been demanding a lot more after a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Pretty much agree with everything being said here - no replacement car is unforgivable. I did pass this thread onto Nissan, let's hope they learn some lessons..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I know the EV crowd's reputation for fanboyism isn't always deserved, but being deprived of a car for 5 weeks and then thanking Nissan for the experience is a bit crazy IMHO.

And blaming the EVSE when a circuit board on the car goes tits up is like me blaming the petrol station when my fuel pump dies. The car shouldn't die because the EVSE is knackered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I can see your point, but at the same time it's not up to me as the customer to facilitate their training programme either - especially if:

1) I had no car at all (as in the OP's case)

2) The car that was provided was costing me more than my own one to run while they went back to school on mine

At the very least he should be offered some sort of goodwill for his patience and willingness to work with them. Me though I wouldn't have let it get that far and like yourself would have been demanding a lot more after a few days.

Because I'm very demanding, if they offered me a petrol/diesel as a replacement (which is quite possible, as there may not be many electric cars to spare), I'd assume it would come with a fuel card as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Pretty much agree with everything being said here - no replacement car is unforgivable. I did pass this thread onto Nissan, let's hope they learn some lessons..

You should've waited until the OP has his car back!

Hi all
    I'm exceptionally relieved that it's finally fixed and I'm looking forward to planning some long trips. I was beginning to think I'd purchased a duck. The shortcoming in this instance was Nissan Europe Warranty. I found the staff at nissan limk and Dublin to be very friendly and engaged even though I'd imported this car.
    It's also good to know that Nissan Dublin can handle technical issues as complex as this one. Also thanks to mad_lad for his knowledgeable input!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Hi all
    I'm exceptionally relieved that it's finally fixed and I'm looking forward to planning some long trips. I was beginning to think I'd purchased a duck. The shortcoming in this instance was Nissan Europe Warranty. I found the staff at nissan limk and Dublin to be very friendly and engaged even though I'd imported this car.
    It's also good to know that Nissan Dublin can handle technical issues as complex as this one. Also thanks to mad_lad for his knowledgeable input!
    Oh are you changing the car so?

Only kidding :D. Glad you are finally sorted.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement

stimpson wrote: »

And blaming the EVSE when a circuit board on the car goes tits up is like me blaming the petrol station when my fuel pump dies. The car shouldn't die because the EVSE is knackered.

Further research indicates that the EVSE and the Leaf charger are to blame, though still very few Leafs have failed.

Seems to be a power surge that kills a diode in the Leaf that might be under rated, seems to only be from the GE wattstation chargers though. These are home EVSE's.

OP perhaps you should get your EVSE checked out if you have one installed. Or were you using the Granny cable or portable brick ?

On the night it dies was there a storm, lightning around ? are you in the sticks with the power cables exposed or an estate with the cables buried ?

Advertisement