Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

study tips for the mocks :(

Options
  • 19-02-2014 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey everyone! My junior cert mocks are next week and I was wondering if anyone has study tips for the Irish P1 and English P1 since you can't really study for them! :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Emlie

Eng: Well all you can really do is revise over the formats for writing letters, speeches, reviews, short stories...etc. As for the media studies, know the disadvantages and advantages of the media (radio,tv, newspaper, internet) and also familiarise yourself with the typical phrases/language used. With the composition, you probably have an idea already what style suits you the best so learn off essays if you want (or not, I know I did.) If you have the time you might as well just practice some comprehensions but within time limits.

Irish: Practice some listening now until the mock
    Learn some nathanna cainnte
    http://skoool.ie/uploadedfiles/study_guides_05
    0208/04-02-08_IT_TSZ_06.pdf

I know it says leaving cert but I used these in my actual jc exam and got an a. Its helpful and it makes everything sound richer (it also fills up dem pages) I particularly found it useful while writing letters, comprehension answers. Its also really good for writing essays if that's your style.

I learned off a short story because I used to think there were just too many essay titles they could give and I couldn't think on the spot.. However there are a lot of certain phrases to be used in this (probably in your book) but usually I could have fit my short story to suit anything.

i know this wasn't very detailed but i'm sure i'm just reminding you stuff of things you know already! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Irishgirl1998

Rote learning write it out again and again and test yourself for Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭S_Hick12

My mocks are also next week :(
    I can't really help with Irish P1, my teacher has been out all week and hasn't given us ANY of the notes he promised so basically i'm screwed haha. But you really need to know verbs/different tenses, i'm not sure what else comes up.

For English P1, Q1 is just reading a passage and answering q's so that won't be much of a problem. Q2 is basically an essay/short story/speech but make sure you read the titles carefully and as sure on what you need to write about. Q3 is Functional Writing, it could be a letter, speech, newspaper review, etc. So just make sure you know the letter format. Q4 is Media Studies. You could get a question on an ad, cartoon, etc. Paper 1 isn't anything to worry about really.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

S_Hick12 wrote: »
    My mocks are also next week :(
    I can't really help with Irish P1, my teacher has been out all week and hasn't given us ANY of the notes he promised so basically i'm screwed haha. But you really need to know verbs/different tenses, i'm not sure what else comes up.

For English P1, Q1 is just reading a passage and answering q's so that won't be much of a problem. Q2 is basically an essay/short story/speech but make sure you read the titles carefully and as sure on what you need to write about. Q3 is Functional Writing, it could be a letter, speech, newspaper review, etc. So just make sure you know the letter format. Q4 is Media Studies. You could get a question on an ad, cartoon, etc. Paper 1 isn't anything to worry about really.

Learn an eachtra/sceal for Irish p1!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭FifaPlaya

For English paper 1 practice comprehensions and letter/speech/ essay formats and you will be alright. Paper 2 is the one which you need to focus on as i've already done the mocks for english.

• Advertisement
Advertisement