Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remove Write Protection on USB Stick

Options
  • 19-02-2014 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm trying to add my essay and presentation files onto my USB key but it won't let me do so as it's in write protection. I've tried reformatting it, changed the WriteProtect value to 0 in regedit and restarted it. I don't need to save any of the files on the USB so protecting files on it isn't needed. I've no problem removing everything on it.

Any ideas? I've gone through a forty thousand pages about removing write protection. Also, when opening the properties of the drive, others said to change the settings of Write Protection under General tab in properties of the drive but that's not appearing there for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,451 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Is there a physical switch on the stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

coylemj wrote: »
    Is there a physical switch on the stick?

Forgot to add that in, no there's no switch on the USB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

whats the manufacturer of the USB key?

Have you tried diskpart..

johndoe99 wrote: »
    whats the manufacturer of the USB key?

I don't know. It's one of those that swings around on a metal bar.

Like this one here

• Advertisement

have you tried a "Full" Format instead of the usual quick?

have you tried a "Full" Format instead of the usual quick?

As in unchecking the Quick Format box? Tried that too. Says "The disk is write protected"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Use killdisk to overwrite whatevers on the usb, then format it.

NoDrama wrote: »
    Have you tried diskpart..

Tried that, didn't work. Drive is still write protected.

When you try to add files to it, the dialog box that appears stating "write protected", does it look like a windows dialog box or is it a different dialog box, maybe related to some software that is on the USB Key.

• Advertisement

When you try to add files to it, the dialog box that appears stating "write protected", does it look like a windows dialog box or is it a different dialog box, maybe related to some software that is on the USB Key.

No, it's definitely a windows dialog box.

Ok, using killdisk to wipe everything off. Will report when it's done and whether if it's successful or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Is this plugged into your own personal computer or a college computer ? Writing to USB devices may be disable in Group Policy by the system administrator ? What version of Windows is installed ? Are you a Domain Client ? i.e. joined to an active directory domain ?

Just a thought !

Ken

ZENER wrote: »
    Is this plugged into your own personal computer or a college computer ? Writing to USB devices may be disable in Group Policy by the system administrator ? What version of Windows is installed ? Are you a Domain Client ? i.e. joined to an active directory domain ?

Just a thought !

Ken

No, it's on my personal computer. I am the Admin on my PC and using Window 7 64bit. I'm not sure what do you mean by domain client or active directory domain?

In a college or enterprise environment all computers would log on to a server which would configure them via group policy. If yours is the only computer then you won't be part of a domain. Just asked because one of the policies you can enforce is to disable writing to USB drives.

Have you tried the Flashdrive in a different computer ? Might point to the problems source, if it works on a different computer then the problem is with yours etc. Did the drive ever work ? Has this suddenly happened or has it always been write protected ? Right-click the drive in explorer and click Properties, then click on the Security Tab and select your username from the list - is Write enabled for your username ?

What edition of Windows are you using ? Professional, Home, Ultimate ?

Ken

In a college or enterprise environment all computers would log on to a server which would configure them via group policy. If yours is the only computer then you won't be part of a domain. Just asked because one of the policies you can enforce is to disable writing to USB drives.

Have you tried the Flashdrive in a different computer ? Might point to the problems source, if it works on a different computer then the problem is with yours etc. Did the drive ever work ? Has this suddenly happened or has it always been write protected ? Right-click the drive in explorer and click Properties, then click on the Security Tab and select your username from the list - is Write enabled for your username ?

What edition of Windows are you using ? Professional, Home, Ultimate ?

Ken

I've used it on my Mac and it's still the same situation. I haven't used it since before Christmas and it was working perfectly back then and now it isn't.

I've opened the Windows Explorer and got the Properties of the drive but Security tab isn't there. Just General, Tools, Hardware, Sharing, ReadyBoost and Customise.

I am using Windows 7 Home Edition.

Just got the result of the KillDisk and it didn't work. Files are still there and drive is still in write protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

practice wrote: »

That's not working for me as no drives are appearing on the drop-down list.

If there's no Security Tab then it's a reasonable assumption that the drive is FAT32 formatted rather than NTFS. If that's the case then it's not a permissions issue. Have you tried Diskpart as suggested earlier ?

Start an elevated command prompt by typing cmd into the search field in the Start Menu, you will see the CMD item listed above - right-click it and select Run As Administrator.

Type

Diskpart <enter>

List disk<enter>

This will list all the disks connected to your computer, identify which one is your USB stick (the size would be a good indicator if you're in doubt - Let's say its Disk 2 for the purpose of this example.

THIS WILL WIPE YOUR DISK ! So be sure you select the correct one !!
    Type

select disk 2 <enter>

clean <enter>

Once it's finished - Type

select disk 2 <enter> (just to be sure)

create part pri <enter>

format fs=fat32 quick <enter>

assign <enter>

exit

Does it work now ?

If there's no Security Tab then it's a reasonable assumption that the drive is FAT32 formatted rather than NTFS. If that's the case then it's not a permissions issue. Have you tried Diskpart as suggested earlier ?

Start an elevated command prompt by typing cmd into the search field in the Start Menu, you will see the CMD item listed above - right-click it and select Run As Administrator.

Type

Diskpart <enter>

List disk<enter>

This will list all the disks connected to your computer, identify which one is your USB stick (the size would be a good indicator if you're in doubt - Let's say its Disk 2 for the purpose of this example.

THIS WILL WIPE YOUR DISK ! So be sure you select the correct one !!
    Type

select disk 2 <enter>

clean <enter>

Once it's finished - Type

select disk 2 <enter> (just to be sure)

create part pri <enter>

format fs=fat32 quick <enter>

assign <enter>

exit

Does it work now ?

Got to as far as "clean" command and gave me an error of "DiskPart has encountered an error: The media is write protected."

• Advertisement
Advertisement