Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom 4

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

dreamers75 wrote: »
    single player FPS games are rarely played due to being crap.

Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-19-doom-4-is-alive-pre-order-wolfenstein-the-new-order-to-get-in-the-beta

No idea where this game can go, honestly no clue. FPS? Horror?

Such has changed since 3 indie games are doing horror better than big studios, single player FPS games are rarely played due to being crap.
    di9H325.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Sorry forgot about Far Cry 3 in the last few years and ummm..........?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

The Bioshock series?

Off the top of my head? For straight up classic FPS action?
    Hard Reset
    Serious Sam 3
    Rise of the Triad
    Shadow Warrior
    Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
    Bulletstorm

Or something meatier?
    Bioshock
    F.E.A.R
    Metro 2033 / Last Light
    Singularity
    Chronicles of Riddick
    Crysis

I'll even be nice and leave out the STALKER series, Deus Ex: HR, Dishonored, and Borderlands due to their RPG and/or sneaking elements.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

On topic, given there has been little or nothing said about the game (DOOM), have there even been any trailers? we could be waiting a fair while on the beta 12 months + I'd wager, likely twice that , seems a stunt to pulled to sell wolfenstein ..... which looks from the trailer I saw earlier to be just alright looking, didn't look bad just nothing special.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

gizmo wrote: »
    Off the top of my head? For straight up classic FPS action?
    Hard Reset
    Serious Sam 3
    Rise of the Triad
    Shadow Warrior
    Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
    Bulletstorm

Or something meatier?
    Bioshock
    F.E.A.R
    Metro 2033 / Last Light
    Singularity
    Chronicles of Riddick
    Crysis

I'll even be nice and leave out the STALKER series, Deus Ex: HR, Dishonored, and Borderlands due to their RPG and/or sneaking elements.

Half of those games are older than doom 3 and have been remade.

FPS games have become very stale a few exceptions, Far Cry 3 would be the notable exception in free roaming for me, Metro in the doom sense.

Still dont think single player FPS games are played much these days because they are not very good and just repeating what other games did before. Doom 4 would have to do something different to stand out.

Half of those games are older than doom 3 and have been remade.
    None of those games are older than Doom 3.

In the case of Rise of the Triad and Shadow Warrior I am referring to their remakes, both of which have been extremely well received by most FPS fans.
    calex71 wrote: »
    On topic, given there has been little or nothing said about the game (DOOM), have there even been any trailers? we could be waiting a fair while on the beta 12 months + I'd wager, likely twice that , seems a stunt to pulled to sell wolfenstein ..... which looks from the trailer I saw earlier to be just alright looking, didn't look bad just nothing special.
    There's been quite a bit written about Doom 4 unfortunately, almost all of it focusing on its horrific development cycle. This piece on Kotaku sums most of it up well. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Doom as it stands just isn't relevant today. They're going to have to radically change it up to make it a hit again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

gizmo wrote: »
    None of those games are older than Doom 3.

In the case of Rise of the Triad and Shadow Warrior I am referring to their remakes, both of which have been extremely well received by most FPS fans.

There's been quite a bit written about Doom 4 unfortunately, almost all of it focusing on its horrific development cycle. This piece on Kotaku sums most of it up well. :(

Wow I remember reading that one now , as you say sums it up well. Just don't recall anything more recent is what I was getting at given the announcment of a beta with wolfenstein, though maybe there was something at the launch of Xbox One last year, kind of dozed off during a lot of that, Ah either way it will either be miles off and just a name on a box to sell another game, or worse yet the mess that was described on kotaku is closer than we think :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Doom as it stands just isn't relevant today. They're going to have to radically change it up to make it a hit again.

Rise of the Triad did demonstrate the appetite for old-school FPS games isn't completely gone... if the game channels its predecessors and the marketing boxes clever, there's no reason a 4th Doom game couldn't do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,890 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The original Doom and Doom II still play great and are relevant... more relevant than Doom 3 anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

o1s1n wrote: »
    The original Doom and Doom II still play great and are relevant... more relevant than Doom 3 anyway :pac:
    Doom 1 & 2 were awesome. Doom 3 seemed to be; look into corner, no monster, walk past corner, monster appears in the corner, and repeat. Got very bored with it quickly, which is a pity, as I had been looking forward to it.

And thus more looking forward to the Wolfenstein over the new Doom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

the_syco wrote: »

And thus more looking forward to the Wolfenstein over the new Doom.

Bill Compton alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Please ID just make Quake 3 with nicer graphics!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Doom beta will only be available on PS4, Xbox One & PC
    The public beta for Doom will only be available on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC, Bethesda has clarified, despite access also being included with the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of Wolfenstein: The New Order.

Instead, those who pre-order the Xbox 360 version of Wolfenstein will be offered access to the Xbox One beta, and PS3 pre-order customers provided access to the PS4 beta.

"DOOM beta access correlates to your pre-ordered Wolfenstein: The New Order platform," Bethesda wrote on the game's official website. "If you purchase an Xbox 360 or Xbox One version of Wolfenstein: The New Order, you will receive an invitation to the Xbox One DOOM beta. PlayStation 3 or PlayStation 4 purchasers will receive an invite to the PS4 DOOM beta. All PC purchases will receive an invite to the PC DOOM beta.

"The DOOM Beta will only be available on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC."

• Xenji wrote: »
    Doom beta will only be available on PS4, Xbox One & PC

Good, no downgrading for past gen.

Can't believe there is not topic for Wolfenstien;

http://www.edge-online.com/features/machinegames-wolfenstein-the-new-order-is-as-surprising-as-it-is-bombastic/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Are these the same guys that made Rage? I found that game really disappointing. The driving was awful. I did enjoy Doom 3 though. It could have used a few big closets full of imps instead of just one or two but the atmosphere was great, especially the lighting. It ran like a dream on my old Radeon 9800 pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,890 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I remember upgrading my PC with a Radeon 9800 pro for Doom 3 and Half Life 2. They both looked gorgeous.

Back when I knew what PC specs actually meant :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Are these the same guys that made Rage? I found that game really disappointing. The driving was awful. I did enjoy Doom 3 though. It could have used a few big closets full of imps instead of just one or two but the atmosphere was great, especially the lighting. It ran like a dream on my old Radeon 9800 pro.

Yeah it is ID Software, but in fairness they have a pretty stellar track record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Loved Doom 1 & 2 spent far to much of my youth playing them games.
    Still liked Doom 3, talking about it all makes me want to dig out my cd's of it and play it again. Was not as good as Doom 1 & 2 but still gets a tumb up from me.

Crysis i think is the last FPS i played, Maybe Crysis 2 even! & i very much have not played a computer game since.

Reading some lists of games here, it does not look like i missed much in terms of single FPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

o1s1n wrote: »
    I remember upgrading my PC with a Radeon 9800 pro for Doom 3 and Half Life 2. They both looked gorgeous.

Back when I knew what PC specs actually meant :eek:

I had that card too! Think it was the first card I bought specifically for gaming. Really punched above its weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There was a 20 minute behind-closed-doors demo at Quakecon. The following info came out of it.

It's now just Doom (not Doom 4) and it's a reboot. Fast paced, multiple enemies at the same time, the same weapons (carry as many as you want), no cover mechanics, no reloading clips, no regenerating health, gory as hell....

Getting excited now. :)

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/07/18/doom-gameplay-unveiled-at-quakecon-2014

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Mr E wrote: »
    There was a 20 minute behind-closed-doors demo at Quakecon. The following info came out of it.

It's now just Doom (not Doom 4) and it's a reboot. Fast paced, multiple enemies at the same time, the same weapons (carry as many as you want), no cover mechanics, no reloading clips, no regenerating health, gory as hell....

I like everything about whats said, but not the name ffs. I really hate when they do reboots and just call them original name. ( just nitpicking, I know )

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well at least they didn't call it Do4m

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wow, that shopping list of main points is impressively retro. My interest is definitely on an upward curve, though some footage would be nice; not sure what the thinking behind a closed-door demo is.

All I hope is that if this game is an excuse to show off a new engine, they don't go down the 'realism' route too much and flood the design with grey and browns. Doom was a fairly colourful game, I hope this vibrancy comes back
    I like everything about whats said, but not the name ffs. I really hate when they do reboots and just call them original name. ( just nitpicking, I know )

Especially when ultimately the game will just get '2014/2015' amended to its title to prevent confusion with the original title. Calling it 'Doom' seems a bit redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Throw in a completely overpowered shotgun, and you, sir, are onto a winner!

If it's another reboot, I hope it's doesn't take as long to get moving as DooM 3 did. It felt like forever before I was under attack in that game.

Also, how did this trailer slip under my radar?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

So Serious Sam then? :P

Whilst I think waist high walls and regenerating health have been detrimental to the genre in some respects I can't help but feel the days of the retro shooter are gone for a good reason.

• Mr E wrote: »

Inglorious-Bastards.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Still no leaks on that gameplay?

Advertisement