Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal vs Bayern Munich, 7:45, RTE2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

monkey9 wrote: »
    It was definitely just sweat dripping from Robben onto Sagna. He didn't spit on him.

How can anyone conjure up such a ball of sweat!

There was no drips just one huge one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Impossible to be 100% sure. Does he have history. Did something happen between the two players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭G1032

Agueroooo wrote: »

Don't think that was a spit. Looked like sweat dripping to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

niallo27 wrote: »
    Do you think he is good enough.

I believe he offers a viable and more importantly a different alternative to Giroud. For me Giroud, when on form, and playing fully to his strengths is our number one. Unfortunately he hasn't been on form lately so Sanogo has offered us a different type of outlet for the last two games. He is still developing, and if anyone can help a player become great, it's Wenger. He has done it several times before so I won't write off a young player after two games, one of which was against arguable the greatest current club side in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Hard to tell but it does look like he is spitting imo and if he proven to have spat on him a long ban should be handed out but UEFA never will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Poor Oezil getting all the flak but there was a bunch of others I didn't see much tbh. Flamini lost his space for both goals for starters. Wilshere was non-existing. In fact no one but Koscielny had a decent match. But back to Mesut. The terrible penalty didn't help, but I wouldn't blame Ozil for it. He would have been my last choice for the penalty and I can't understand why he was allowed to take it.
    I think you can criticise him for not putting in the work. He is obviously not the kind of player who naturally tends to do that but he needs to realise that isn't good enough where he's playing now. Can't blame him though for not knowing what to do as right back. In fairness thats just not what the guy does.

As for overall I think the result would have been the same, red card or not. Fair enough at the start it was bit of open play frenzy where Arsenal surprised Bayern a little. But even before the red card - after both teams settling a bit - Bayern already had gained some sort of control of the match. And that was only going to get better ten men or not. Despite their huge playability Arsenal faced a team tonight thats even more in control of the ball then them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Quazzie wrote: »
    I believe he offers a viable and more importantly a different alternative to Giroud. For me Giroud, when on form, and playing fully to his strengths is our number one. Unfortunately he hasn't been on form lately so Sanogo has offered us a different type of outlet for the last two games. He is still developing, and if anyone can help a player become great, it's Wenger. He has done it several times before so I won't write off a young player after two games, one of which was against arguable the greatest current club side in the world.

Bit early to be talking liverpool up like that. I'm not saying he might not develop to be a great player but tonight wasn't the night for him to play.

He's hardly spittin on him while giving him a pat on the back is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Messi is a fookin cheat. Jaysus

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Arsenal had shaded it imo. Both sides had good spells and Arsenal arguably had the better chances. Bayern were at sea in midfield 11 v 11 and only started to dictate when they had more space.

Come off it, thats ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Boskowski wrote: »
    He's hardly spittin on him while giving him a pat on the back is he?

People are stupid. Outrage keeps people alive these days. Pathetic that people are even trying to make an issue of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Camera adds 10 pounds.

wtf?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

wtf?!?

Bayern, at the present time, many would argue are the greatest club side in the world. They're current European champions, and look to be in great form. I don't think it's that outlandish a claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

wtf?!?

So the current CL champions can't be considered 'arguably the current greatest club side'?

I should really start unsubscribing from these match threads sooner

I like Arsene and Arsenal very much but he's a bad loser. The sh1te he comes out with in the press conference. Bayern making the most of everything and gettin the frees and we wouldn't be used to that in England. lol. I dare say Jack Wilshere makes a living doing exactly that. He even hinted Robben did dive. For gods sake that was a potential leg breaker.

Bayern, at the present time, many would argue are the greatest club side in the world. They're current European champions, and look to be in great form. I don't think it's that outlandish a claim.

Sorry I was blinded. I thought you meant Liverpool :eek:

AdamD wrote: »
    So the current CL champions can't be considered 'arguably the current greatest club side'?

I should really start unsubscribing from these match threads sooner

They can, genuine mistake, relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I like Arsene and Arsenal very much but he's a bad loser. The sh1te he comes out with in the press conference. Bayern making the most of everything and gettin the frees and we wouldn't be used to that in England. lol. I dare say Jack Wilshere makes a living doing exactly that. He even hinted Robben did dive. For gods sake that was a potential leg breaker.
    Leg breaker?

Come on now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Sorry if posted already

12641404845_41c800fc9a_o.gif

Jasus there is some awful awful ****e been posted all over this the last page of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Just saw the Robben interview with Kevin O'Connell. It's odd to hear a guy from somewhere like the Netherlands who speaks clearer English than the guy from Ireland. :D

kevo_11.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I prefer Heynckes' Bayern tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Sorry if posted already

" Anyone a drink lads?" is what he's asking. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Just came in to say Toni Kroos is an unbelievably good footballer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

also, Arsenal more than held their own until the idiotic penalty+sending off rule came into play.

it was shaping up to be a brilliant tie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

In fairness, pretty disgraceful from Wilshere at the end ,i blame him 100% for that 2nd goal.

He's literally seen his centre back go on a lung bursting run forwards and won a valuable free kick on the half way line.

So what does he do?

Does he take his time, kill the clock, wait for some defenders to get into the box to try nick a goal? Nope.

Does he pass the ball backwards to his team-mates to try keep the ball and try run the clock down for a valiant 1-0 defeat? Nope.

He takes an absolutely brainless quick free kick, losing possession within seconds and leaving a knackered centre-half (who defended brilliantly) desperately trying to get back. Leaving Flamini stuck in an unfamiliar centre-back position.

He's got to be the most over-rated, impetuous, stupid player around.

What sort of donut takes a quick free kick in the 87th minute when his side are absolutely cream crackered??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

roanoke wrote: »
    Just saw the Robben interview with Kevin O'Connell. It's odd to hear a guy from somewhere like the Netherlands who speaks clearer English than the guy from Ireland. :D

What are you talking about? I seen the interview and didn't think there was anything wrong with how he spoke.

Leg breaker?

Come on now.

I said potential. He cluttered pretty much full frontal into his standing leg/shin. Could have been a lot worse, def'ny not diving or even making the most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

In fairness, pretty disgraceful from Wilshere at the end ,i blame him 100% for that 2nd goal.

He's literally seen his centre back go on a lung bursting run forwards and won a valuable free kick on the half way line.

So what does he do?

Does he take his time, kill the clock, wait for some defenders to get into the box to try nick a goal? Nope.

Does he pass the ball backwards to his team-mates to try keep the ball and try run the clock down for a valiant 1-0 defeat? Nope.

He takes an absolutely brainless quick free kick, losing possession within seconds and leaving a knackered centre-half (who defended brilliantly) desperately trying to get back. Leaving Flamini stuck in an unfamiliar centre-back position.

What sort of donut takes a quick free kick in the 87th minute when his side are absolutely cream crackered??

Way OTT

Maybe his legs and brain was tired

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

So what does he do?

I was wondering what the hell the CB was doing in the first place. Once the free kick was won he probably should have wandered back to where he'd been for 85 mins previously. Rush of blood to the head cost them in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Sorry if posted already

Sometimes you forget that if some of these guys weren't talented at this sport they'd be the spas you see every weekend at the corner flag doing that for 90 mins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I'm being genuine here, Wilshere is surely the most overrated player in England right now in my eyes. What does he bring to a team other than petulance when things aren't going his way. Doesn't score, doesn't come up with many assists, doesn't defend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I'm being genuine here, Wilshere is surely the most overrated player in England right now in my eyes. What does he bring to a team other than petulance when things aren't going his way. Doesn't score, doesn't come up with many assists, doesn't defend.

No you're either being a troll or you're actually that clueless. Not sure which.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

What are you talking about? I seen the interview and didn't think there was anything wrong with how he spoke.

Fair enough.

(^^joking there btw^^).

I could understand both people. I just thought that Robben spoke better/more clearly than O'Connell.

No you're either being a troll or you're actually that clueless. Not sure which.

I'm neither, trust me.

What does he bring to a team? Heart and that's about it, when things don't go his way he turns into a spoilt brat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I'm neither, trust me.

What does he bring to a team? Heart and that's about it, when things don't go his way he turns into a spoilt brat.

5 goals and 4 assists this season.

5 goals and 4 assists this season.

3 goals and 4 assists in the league. And yet you have the British media saying he is their most talented player since Gazza, laughable.

Wilshere is a great player and at his age is only going to get better, anyone who watches him play and thinks he is terrible needs to just give up and stop watching football.

He seems to have become a hate figure for a lot of rival fans though I'm not sure if it because the media have a love hate affair with him and people are being sheep or if its a little bit of his attitude that grates rival fans.

But as an Arsenal fan and a football fan I love to see any player playing for a team I support showing passion and drive much rather that than a player who looks like he couldn't give a toss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Watch his performance against Barcelona (the 2-1) and try saying that again.

• Advertisement

Watch his performance against Barcelona (the 2-1) and try saying that again.

When was that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Wilshere is a great player and at his age is only going to get better, anyone who watches him play and thinks he is terrible needs to just give up and stop watching football.

He seems to have become a hate figure for a lot of rival fans though I'm not sure if it because the media have a love hate affair with him and people are being sheep or if its a little bit of his attitude that grates rival fans.

But as an Arsenal fan and a football fan I love to see any player playing for a team I support showing passion and drive much rather that than a player who looks like he couldn't give a toss.

Spurs fan here and if anything I've a bit of a soft spot for Wilshere. Think he'll develop into a truly world-class player in a few years time. One of those exceptional players imo.

Wilshere is an outstanding talent and a great fit for Arsenal.
    But I can see how fans get annoyed with him at times. He's only a little fella but he makes up for it by two with his hotheadedness and his constant mouthing towards the ref and others. Sometimes he comes across as an overconfident, angryish young man with attitude. As if the world owes him something or so. But hopefully he'll come round, he's only a young lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

When was that?

2011 I think.

Oh, and as for your "doesn't score, doesn't assist, doesn't defend" bit - neither do Pirlo, Xavi, Iniesta on a regular basis either. Crap players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

I fricking love Flamini. The man plays with such immense passion. Always gives 100%

TBH I thought he was poor enough, lost a player for the second goal

2011 I think.

Oh, and as for your "doesn't score, doesn't assist, doesn't defend" bit - neither do Pirlo, Xavi, Iniesta on a regular basis either. Crap players.

3 years ago? I'd rather judge him on recent performances.

Pirlo, Xavi and Iniesta don't provide assists or goals??? When did this happen?

mada999 wrote: »
    TBH I thought he was poor enough, lost a player for the second goal

And for the first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

He's most certainly a very good player.

But a lot of people tend to rave about him as if he's World Class already and he's got a long, long way to go before you can call him that.

That's where the "over-rated" criticism comes from.

A lot of Gooners and England fans seemed to think he was the finished article. In reality, right now, he'd struggle to get into either the Arsenal or England sides when both are at full strength.

If Aaron Ramsey and Theo were fully fit, i struggle to see him getting a regular start.

With England, given Gerrard is an automatic pick as captain, he's got a lot of rivalry in that midfield.

He is still young and has the potential to be a world class operator but he's not there yet. Not even close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

By those criteria he could do a job for Liverpool or Spurs.

Seriously, why do guys come on to these Champions League threads just to slag
    off a rival English team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

He's most certainly a very good player.

But a lot of people tend to rave about him as if he's World Class already and he's got a long, long way to go before you can call him that.

That's where the "over-rated" criticism comes from.

A lot of Gooners and England fans seemed to think he was the finished article. In reality, right now, he'd struggle to get into either the Arsenal or England sides when both are at full strength.

If Aaron Ramsey and Theo were fully fit, i struggle to see him getting a regular start.

With England, given Gerrard is an automatic pick as captain, he's got a lot of rivalry in that midfield.

He is still young and has the potential to be a world class operator but he's not there yet. Not even close.

I think I remember Hodgson saying that didn't make Gerrard an automatic choice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement