Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holiday in Greece

• 19-02-2014 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi all,

Thinking of heading to Greece in August with the OH for a 2 and half/ 3 weeks.
    Looking for a nice, chilled out holiday which won't break the bank, nice restaurants and some good bars but nothing too lively like Hersonisos.
    I see Ryanair fly to Chania direct from Dublin which is handy. Has anyone been there or what is it meant to be like? I've seen on other threads that we could visit other islands like Santorini from here for a few nights which seems like a good plan.
    Also considering Corfu, but haven't heard much about it. Much to do here?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

I see Ryanair fly to Chania direct from Dublin which is handy. Has anyone been there or what is it meant to be like? I've seen on other threads that we could visit other islands like Santorini from here for a few nights which seems like a good plan.
    Also considering Corfu, but haven't heard much about it. Much to do here?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

I have heard good reports on Chania area, such as Agia Marina, but I've not actually been to Crete, so can't say anymore than that. But, if you are thinking of holidays there and visiting Santorini for a few days, I'd just advise you if you are on a budget, maybe think of staying in the resort of Kamari or Perissa, as they are cheaper than Thira, the capital. It's a beautiful island, stunning views, lovely food. You won't find golden sandy beaches though, so if that's your thing, be aware that most beaches are pebbley, but there is a dark sandy beach at Perissa.

Corfu is a lovely island, if you are looking for somewhere with a nice beach, laid-back atmosphere, nice food, and a few bars, you might like Agios Gordios http://agios-gordios.net . It's a lovely little village about 25 mins from the airport and Corfu town. You could easily visit Corfu town from there, which is lovely. There is a daily bus service from Agios. If you hire a car, there are so many resorts you could visit too. You can also get a ferry to Paxos, and spend a couple of days there (not a place for sandy beaches, but you can get a boat to anti-paxos, 10 mins away that has fabulous white sandy beaches). Afaik, you can also get to Kefalonia from Corfu too. A day trip to Albania could be an option for you too.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 38 The Real McCoy

Thanks a million for your reply and information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Thought I might bump this as I am heading to Greece to in July and looking for advice. We are going for 15 days. Flying in and out of Athens and have accommodation booked for 4 days in Athens but nothing planned for anything afterwards. Was thinking the islands but am getting confused about which ones to go to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Thought I might bump this as I am heading to Greece to in July and looking for advice. We are going for 15 days. Flying in and out of Athens and have accommodation booked for 4 days in Athens but nothing planned for anything afterwards. Was thinking the islands but am getting confused about which ones to go to.

It you're going to use Athens as your "hub" then try looking at evia island. It's connected to Athens by road Bridge and is about an hour to 80mins drive. Great island, capital being chalkis or chalkida in English. Has some great beaches and fabulous mountain hikes. If you're driving you can visit both med beaches and aegean. Fantastic for a bit of snorkeling.

Generally the island is a good bit cheaper than Athina and there's some particularly good mountain restaurants etc which are beautiful and very cheap.

You could spend a couple of days in Nea Artaki very close to the capital and has a great sea front full of lovely little fish taverns. Prawns and grilled Octopus are a particular delight.

Zeferios bar on the beach does a €2 all drinks night on Tuesday nights. Very busy bar that is all outdoors. They also do hotdogs and burgers for 2euro as well.

The island also has some great monasteries which are worth looking at, some of which make their own wines and mead which are definitely worth trying.

When you take a trip up towards mountains you will finda lot of road side sellers selling very nice fresh herbs and particularly home "hived" honey which is some of the best I've ever had

Advertisement