Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biological Problem

Options
  • 19-02-2014 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I had cancer and recently returned to work, I got a job at a small office - (bad idea) anyway - my boss knows that I had cancer and one night when we were out on a work night he had been drinking and whispered to me - " I haven't told anyone about .." he then mouthed the word "Cancer" to me ..I pretended not to hear and said - "sorry what?" and he mouthed it again "Cancer" I once again pretended not to hear and he just looked at me and said "your biological problem"

I was instantly upset - I didn't know what to make of this comment - I will add that my boss is a spoiled manipulative b*stard

I have a review coming up and I am wondering if I should bring this up to him - I feel I need to acknowledge it - I was in shock on the night and he had been drinking so I didn't know what to think- but it is upsetting me - thinking that I am working for someone like this.

I feel I should just leave, but jobs are so hard to come by - am I being overly sensitive? Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Can you clarify what exactly about the comment upset you?

The fact that he acknowledged the issue in public?
    The fact that he thought it was worth saying "I haven't told anyone about XXXX"?
    The fact that he regards having had cancer as a biological problem?

And what exactly this makes you think you should leave the job? To me, that sounds OTT, but maybe I'm missing something.

Oh - and if I worked for a manipulative barstard, I don't think I would go drinking with him/her.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If he has issues with saying the word cancer out loud, then its his problem.

Write it off as the meaningless drivel of a fool. Try not to let it upset you. As my old boss used to say 'You have to listen to thunder.'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Not sure what he has done wrong and why you would pretend not to hear what he was saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Bring what up with him? Lots of people have problems saying the word cancer. It is often whispered or simply called "the big C". I don't think it would do any good to challenge him on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

What did he do wrong?

• Advertisement
Advertisement