Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a small business and full time job

Options
  • 19-02-2014 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi

I want to set up a small business (electronic store), but I'm also employed on a full time basis.

1. What do I have to do apart from registering my business with CORE?
    2. What's the difference between settin up a business when you are already employed vs when you are not employed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

no real difference except the person unemployed will lose their social, unless they are on a scheme and the person working will pay more tax

You wont need to register for vat unless you go over the threshold of 37,000

You'll need to file TR1 form to register your new business for income when you start up.

Your tax liabilities may be higher (50%) because you are on a full-time salary. Get in touch with an accountant who will go through your salary, credits etc and will tell you your liabilities against your potential earnings.

Might be an idea to let your employer know if there will be a conflict of interest or if its going to take up a lot of your time!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Buttercake wrote: »
    Might be an idea to let your employer know if there will be a conflict of interest or if its going to take up a lot of your time!

Really good point and remember some contracts specifically forbid conducting personal business ventures. Worth checking this one out fully.

Advertisement