Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football (soccer) in Vancouver

Options
  • 19-02-2014 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi I was wondering if anyone's playing football over here I am trying to find a team to join or even where they play a drop in on astro, I did a few drop ins at the community centre but don't really like indoor football/futsal, anyone know of anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

I'm in the same boat, will be looking for a regular game when I arrive in April!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scruffy19

does the ISSC Vancouver not run Soccer league during the summer months? try posting on the Facebook page "Irish and new in Vancouver" to see if anyone knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

If you find anything let me know! Bloody hard to get anything started here.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 pooljinx

I'm in the same boat, will be looking for a regular game when I arrive in April!

I meant something at the moment pretty sure those leagues dont start untill June I could be mistaken though!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 davey boy

There is an astro turf league called ultra soccer league that starts in April for their summer league I think. If you keep an eye on craigslist (in the community section) there will be a few teams looking for players. I played in it the first 2 years I was here and it was fairly good standard and well run.

There is a group called CYA soccer that have astro turf drop in soccer too. They usually stop for winter but should be getting back to it soon.

I tried to get a bunch of people together for a weekly game last year but didn't have any luck. Would love to get back into it to try and get some exercise though. There is some really nice astroturf pitches around but they require proof of insurance to book a weekly spot. If we could get enough people together we could organize a weekly game maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 pooljinx

davey boy wrote: »
    There is an astro turf league called ultra soccer league that starts in April for their summer league I think. If you keep an eye on craigslist (in the community section) there will be a few teams looking for players. I played in it the first 2 years I was here and it was fairly good standard and well run.

There is a group called CYA soccer that have astro turf drop in soccer too. They usually stop for winter but should be getting back to it soon.

I tried to get a bunch of people together for a weekly game last year but didn't have any luck. Would love to get back into it to try and get some exercise though. There is some really nice astroturf pitches around but they require proof of insurance to book a weekly spot. If we could get enough people together we could organize a weekly game maybe?

I would be up for setting up a weekly game, I think many Irish people are in the same boat i.e want to play but dont know where to start looking? and there will be plenty more people coming over once the visas come out, would you be intrested in setting it up together?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

count me in lads if yis are thinking of organizing something!

pooljinx wrote: »
    I would be up for setting up a weekly game, I think many Irish people are in the same boat i.e want to play but dont know where to start looking? and there will be plenty more people coming over once the visas come out, would you be intrested in setting it up together?

Sounds good, we can try to get something going. I would prefer to play on astroturf but we could look at indoor too if people prefer. I had a look at the prices for renting the city pitches before so I will try to find them. It would probably best to find a location near a skytrain to make it easier for people to get there. I will pm you whatever information I find and we can go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

If anyone is interested in joining a team in Vancouver you can private message me and I'll try help you out. I was over there for a few years and came back recently.

New summer league is starting in April and usually runs until about August. Then the winter league starts up in about September or October and runs to March. Not everyone chooses to play both seasons and the summer leagues are more relaxed and lower standard.

There's also various indoor and outdoor tournaments throughout BC that teams travel to for long weekends which are always good fun.

I was looking into the cost of rental and its just over $50 per hour to rent the turf field. Insurance would be required if a group wants to rent regularly. I was quoted 300 / year for liability insurance (does not cover injuries)

I cant send pm yet because my post count is low but if anyone is interested in playing just post here and we can get something organised.

• Advertisement

Did this ever kick off lads? me and few boys were talking about this the other week and theres more arriving on this years visa so im sure it couldn't be to hard to get something sorted!

Scruffy19 wrote: »
    Did this ever kick off lads? me and few boys were talking about this the other week and theres more arriving on this years visa so im sure it couldn't be to hard to get something sorted!

I looked into it but have been mad busy at work so didn't get anything organized yet. The pitches around Vancouver can be booked through the city but they are mostly booked up until 10pm each weekday night at the moment. Would a 10pm to 11pm slot be too late?

I could try to book a late hour next week to get a group together and we could talk about some options. I cant send or receive messages here because of the new rules so people can just reply in the thread.

We could have a kick around in a park too but it would be nice to play on a proper astroturf pitch. There is one or two Irish teams that play in leagues here too but I am too unfit for that!

I looked into it but have been mad busy at work so didn't get anything organized yet. The pitches around Vancouver can be booked through the city but they are mostly booked up until 10pm each weekday night at the moment. Would a 10pm to 11pm slot be too late?

I could try to book a late hour next week to get a group together and we could talk about some options. I cant send or receive messages here because of the new rules so people can just reply in the thread.

We could have a kick around in a park too but it would be nice to play on a proper astroturf pitch. There is one or two Irish teams that play in leagues here too but I am too unfit for that!

I smoke to much, id be killed playing in the leagues :P

Was looking at astroturf pitchs in North Van last night but could see any info on if they were booked up:

http://www.northvanrec.com/facilities/fields/policies-conditions/locations-conditions.aspx#table

If we can get numbers together, we should book one night and see how it goes!

If anyone is still interested I am looking at booking a pitch in Burnaby, Deer Lake Park on a Monday or Tuesday night. Its close to the skytrain and they add liability insurance to the rental fee so there is no upfront insurance charge. The downtown pitches are very difficult to get so Burnaby was the closest I can book.

I set up a page on facebook called IEC Soccer Vancouver so you can contact me through that. I need a list of names and phone numbers before they will approve the booking so if you can message your info through facebook we can get something organised.

Burnaby, Deer Lake Park .

Googled that. That would take me at least 1h20mins to get there from North Van. Somehwere closer to the city would be nice but trouble is getting a pitch!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

I'd be well up for a 5 a side/ astro game or whatever. Only
    Arrived a few days ago so still finding my feet. My cousin who lives here recommended this page

http://www.urbanrec.ca/Vancouver/

I should have said Burnaby lake sports complex but its in the same area. The pitches are about 10 minutes walk from Sperling - Burnaby lake skytrain. Downtown would be great but the insurance charge upfront is a problem too, as well as the availability. If you are interested Scruffy I could offer you a lift from downtown seabus. Are you near the seabus in North Van?

I should have said Burnaby lake sports complex but its in the same area. The pitches are about 10 minutes walk from Sperling - Burnaby lake skytrain. Downtown would be great but the insurance charge upfront is a problem too, as well as the availability. If you are interested Scruffy I could offer you a lift from downtown seabus. Are you near the seabus in North Van?

Yeah i live right beside it lol! im game to be honest, give it a go and see how we get on! If we can make it a reg thing then see about booking something closer to the city if we can. One of the guys txted me there, he said he would be up for it and theres another landing on Friday and im sure he will be game as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

im not living far away from there, and I know a couple lads who would probably be game for it as well, Tuesdays and Thursdays don't suit me though!

scottmcb04 wrote: »
    im not living far away from there, and I know a couple lads who would probably be game for it as well, Tuesdays and Thursdays don't suit me though!

They just called me this morning and offered a Thursday slot for next week so I took it. They offered me Tuesday yesterday but it didn't work for some so I asked for another day. Usually they only take bookings in March so its very difficult to get a slot. I should be able to change it after a few weeks if it works for everyone.

Its booked for Thursday 22nd 10pm to 11pm. I have some names already but if anyone is interested I need to send them a list of names and contact numbers by this Thursday 15th. You can send me your info through IEC soccer Vancouver on Facebook. I don't receive any messages on boards.

• Advertisement

Dave was that you that posted in Irish and new in Vancouver on facebook?

Scrap that just re-read your post!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Scruffy19 wrote: »
    Googled that. That would take me at least 1h20mins to get there from North Van. Somehwere closer to the city would be nice but trouble is getting a pitch!

Scruff mate... thats 20 mins tops.

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Scruff mate... thats 20 mins tops.

im on foot patrol at the minute bud, so seabus and sky train! Not getting a car for another week maybe 2

Advertisement