Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Leap Cards

Options
  • 19-02-2014 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭

I use a 5 day child rambler ticket every day to school. I get two buses to and from school (sometimes even three).
    I saw this page (http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/General-News/Revisions-to-Dublin-Bus-Prepaid-Tickets-/) on the Dublin Bus website saying this ticket will be discontinued and that you must apply for a personalised Leap Card. Will this cost more as I use the rambler ticket because I have to get two buses to/from school. One of the buses I get to school is an Xpresso route.

Could someone please explain this new system to me? Will it cost more or less and will I still be able to use it on Xpresso routes at no extra cost. Is there someway to load a rambler ticket on to the Leap Card?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

VG31 wrote: »
    I use a 5 day child rambler ticket every day to school. I get two buses to and from school (sometimes even three).
    I saw this page (http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/General-News/Revisions-to-Dublin-Bus-Prepaid-Tickets-/) on the Dublin Bus website saying this ticket will be discontinued and that you must apply for a personalised Leap Card. Will this cost more as I use the rambler ticket because I have to get two buses to/from school. One of the buses I get to school is an Xpresso route.

Could someone please explain this new system to me? Will it cost more or less and will I still be able to use it on Xpresso routes at no extra cost. Is there someway to load a rambler ticket on to the Leap Card?

If you explain exactly what trip you're making, I can try and figure out what your options are.

If you don't want to post the exact trips, PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Afaik they're gradually incorporating all tickets that require ID into personalised Leap card format, which is a good thing as it makes fraudulent use of child/student tickets harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

VG31 wrote: »

Basically the first thing you need to do is get a personalised child LEAP card, which you will use in e-purse pay-as-you-go mode.

Then, you need to put cash onto the epurse - load a minimum of €8.20 per week at any PAYZONE agent or at any LUAS/Irish Rail ticket machine.

Then LEAP will charge you €0.70 for each trip that you take up to a maximum of €2.50 per day or €8.20 per week (Monday/Sunday).

So for €8.20 you can now use the bus as much as you like for seven days rather than five.

When travelling to/from school (up to 17:00 Monday/Friday and up to 13:00 on Saturdays), validate the card on the smartcard reader on the righthand side each time you use the bus. Otherwise, pay at the driver's machine stating where you are going.

The card will stop charging you once you reach €8.20 for the week (Monday-Sunday) or €2.50 per day.

Advertisement