Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to forum..

Options
  • 19-02-2014 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum. I was just wondering what peoples opinions were on how long it is before you can bond with a new horse and/or see its full potential? Have mine about 4 months now, progressing slowly with her but am unsure if she is completely suited to me or am I being too rash in thinking this? Any feedback would be most welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Rosepup wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I am new to the forum. I was just wondering what peoples opinions were on how long it is before you can bond with a new horse and/or see its full potential? Have mine about 4 months now, progressing slowly with her but am unsure if she is completely suited to me or am I being too rash in thinking this? Any feedback would be most welcome.

Welcome to the forum

Have you tried having a lesson with an instructor and asking their opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Rosepup

Yes, have had lessons with her. My instructor has mentioned that he thinks she is a great mare but not suited to my ability. I am hoping its just a hump that we can get over and things will improve but am unsure.

Are you ahead of the Mare or vice versa? If the Mare is ahead of you then you can possibly move to her level but if your ahead then its hard to stay still

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ailbheg

4 months is a short length of time imo. I hit a hump with my horse early on, even though everything had gone really well and I really liked him I tried him out, I found him too much of a challenge, and wanted to sell him and buy something older and more sensible. After about 6 months though, things started to come together, and I still have him, almost 8 years on.

It really depends in what way she's not suitable. If you've gone from riding school horses to your own horse, it can be a big change, and can take a while to get used to each other. Have you been riding in a group lesson, or a private one? If you've been riding in a group, maybe book a few private lessons and see how things progress.

Thanks for taking time to reply everyone. I think yesterday I was having quite an off day, today was better. I am ahead of the mare but I'm really hoping with more hard work and persistence things will improve. I am no stranger to putting in the time anyway. I guess I'm just not used to putting in so much work and getting such a small return but I suppose each horse is different. It's the highs and lows that come with it I guess! I've had private lessons and the YO is always at hand helping me out so have his expert opinion at all times, I'm very lucky. I won't give up anyway :)

• Advertisement

Is the mare young?

Rising 7!

There's a good chance she will come up to meet you with the right training

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

I got my horse in the summer of 2012. The first 4 months were ROUGH. I was having major doubts about her but I persisted for various reasons. After about 6 months she seemed to settle down and really begin to come into her own. Now she is utterly fabulous and I wouldn't change her for the world. The bond I have with her is second to none. :)

Give your mare time to get used to you and your way of riding/handling her, new surroundings (presume she's in a new yard?) etc and get some lessons with her. It may take some time to bond but it will be worth it.

Things have really taken a turn for the better recently and we are absolutely flying it :) thanks for all the replies!

• Advertisement
Advertisement