Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to put my new gun safe?

Options
  • 19-02-2014 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Just got my 4 gun safe from Warmflow a few hours ago thing is huge :D .No idea where to put it and have it hidden,

closest are full of pipes
    attic is tiny height wise
    Kitchen..nope
    Sitting Room...nope
    Bathroom...nope
    Spare Bedroom Room...Visitors would be impressed :P
    Parents and Brothers room..nope
    Sunroom...nope
    Office...nope to small

My room well...
    Have had my old safe in my room for 3 months prior but since im very young others such as some friends, parents of my friends might think and think its not appropriate for someone so young to have guns in their room.
    Its only a .22 air rifle but planing on getting a 12g shotgun and .22lr

Seriously Puzzled on where to put it... :confused:
    Might put in my room and try hide it!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Did we not discuss this a couple of months ago.

They don't like the idea of you having guns in your room, but no issue when you are licensed and out shooting with them.

It;s your gun, and your safe lad, stick it in your room and have done with it. :cool:
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Yea i guess. have a couple of questions though about fitting it,

Do i have to use all the 6 holes to mount or just use 4 as the parents dont want to many holes drilled.
    Will i have to remove the skirting board to fit it?
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Depends how much you want to protect your firearms.

If you want to bolt it to the floor and the wall you will need to take the skirting to get it tight to the wall. You could also lift it over the skirting board and just bolt it to the wall.

1shot16 wrote: »
    Yea i guess.
    Not being a dick lad, just it's an obvious answer.
    Do i have to use all the 6 holes to mount or just use 4 as the parents dont want to many holes drilled.
    Either will do as long as it's secure, and not just "alright". Personally i'd use all bolts supplied. Easy fill a small hole when the safe has to go.
    Will i have to remove the skirting board to fit it?
    :)
    You can or if they don't like that you have to cut out the skirting board or you can put in a spacer via a metal plate/sheet between the safe and wall so there is no gap/space and then feed the bolts through the plate.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Blay wrote: »
    Depends how much you want to protect your firearms.

If you want to bolt it to the floor and the wall you will need to take the skirting to get it tight to the wall. You could also lift it over the skirting board and just bolt it to the wall.

Lifting it over the skirting might put straight on the wall as its up stairs and its a very heavy safe!Like to have it on the ground.
    Cass wrote: »

Either will do as long as it's secure, and not just "alright". Personally i'd use all bolts supplied. Easy fill a small hole when the safe has to go.

You can or if they don't like that you have to cut out the skirting board or you can put in a spacer via a metal plate/sheet between the safe and wall so there is no gap/space and then feed the bolts through the plate.

Easy take out the bolts though?
    So the sheet should cover all the space between the wall and safe?Will be a few mm thick then.

• Advertisement

Yup.

Depending on the skirting about 10-12mm. Given the average size of a safe, and the position of the bolt holes you're looking at putting in a 5ft x 1ft sheet of steel. Or just cut out 12" of skirting board and avoid all that. ;)

Yup.

Depending on the skirting about 10-12mm. Given the average size of a safe, and the position of the bolt holes you're looking at putting in a 5ft x 1ft sheet of steel. Or just cut out 12" of skirting board and avoid all that. ;)

Yeah cutting the board would be the easier option if they agree,

Thanks for the help again cass nd blay! :)

Will firstly have to get it up the stairs first :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Just another point..did it come with bolts? If it did I'd bin them and buy proper Rawlbolts, one's they include with are usually not great.

Blay wrote: »
    Just another point..did it come with bolts? If it did I'd bin them and buy proper Rawlbolts, one's they include with are usually not great.

It did.Its a warmflow cant be dat bad can they.

I'd agree with Blay. I scrapped the ones that came with mine (did'e feel great) and used stronger ones. However to avoid giving you a complete meltdown the ones that come with it will do to get you sorted. They are not bad, just not the best quality available.

As for getting it up the stairs. Amazing what the offer of a pint to two mates can do. :D

• Advertisement

I'd agree with Blay. I scrapped the ones that came with mine (did'e feel great) and used stronger ones. However to avoid giving you a complete meltdown the ones that come with it will do to get you sorted. They are not bad, just not the best quality available.

6 of the ones that came with it would be just as good as using 4 good ones id say!Ill see might get better ones!

As for getting it up the stairs. Amazing what the offer of a pint to two mates can do. :D

Yeah haha :D

6 of the ones that came with it would be just as good as using 4 good ones id say!Ill see might get better ones!

Yeah haha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If you are on the ground floor, hopefully you have a concrete floor. Put a couple of bolts down into the slab. Drill extra holes in the safe and bolt to both sides of the corner. Be sure you know where the central heating pipes run before you drill the floor, or you really will be unpopular. Try and put it into a corner, of two block built walls. Corner of the room. Or if upstairs, try and use a chimney breast. Get it tight to the wall. Cut the skirting board. A new length of board will be only about a tenner if you ever move the safe. If there is any gap, the long nail bars that's sold in Aldi from time to time will rip the safe out of the wall. Be sure and determine if the internal block walls are 4 inch block or 6 inch block before you drill!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

I have a 4 gun warmflow and its mounted to the wall above the skerting board with no problems. I spent my working life fixing steel to concrete and block so IMO go to the local diy and get 6 Truebolts or Parabolts. The idea being that the hole you drill is the same size as the bolt which is then hammered in through hole in the back of the safe. Stand the safe on some books to get sbove the skirting and pushing it against the wall drill first hole in wall through hole in safe and put in one bolt either top one is best then level safe and drill opposite side on bottom insert bolt hand tighten both nuts remove books from underneath and drill rest of the holes tighten them evenly making sure door closes and lock engages. If lock is not engaging you may have a gimp in the wall slightly loosen one bolt at a time until you find the one pulling the safe off square leave this ad is as the other 5 will be more than enough to hold the safe Doing it this way there is no measuring of hole centers and every hole will be spot on. Is the wall you intend to bolt to an internal or extrrnal wall or the dividing wall between you and the neighbors.
    If internal or external it should be a 4 inch block if its a dividing wall it should be block on flat which is 9 inches.

GP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

I put my 5 gun safe sitting on top of the skirting board. Leveled it marked the holes with a pencil. Took the safe down drilled it then put it back up and secured it then. No panic no drama

Might have to cut the skirting board.The roof comes down in that corner and it wont fit if i put it above the skirting board.Just fits on the ground

Will it fit the corner?

Pull out the skirting, cut the necessary amount to fit the safe, and then put that piece away. If you have to move or remove the safe simply re-attach that piece of skirting.

It's an easy install lad. Better to ask forgiveness than permission. :D

Will it fit the corner?

Pull out the skirting, cut the necessary amount to fit the safe, and then put that piece away. If you have to move or remove the safe simply re-attach that piece of skirting.

It's an easy install lad. Better to ask forgiveness than permission. :D

With 2 cm room height wise as the ceilings at and angle.

Will i put her right in the corner or out a bit to allow the door to open fully

Out a bit. No point having a safe you cannot open. :P:D

Out a bit. No point having a safe you cannot open. :P:D

Would be able to open it half way might aswell have it opening full and leave the skirting board on the other side alone haha :pac:

Just wondering would it be a good/bad idea to store other valuables in there?

I collect coins and have gold silver and may old american coins from 1800's worth 3k :)

• Advertisement

Ye. Let it open as much as possible. Otherwise you run the risk of "dinking" the gun when you take it in or out.

As for other valuables. Yeah why not?

Ye. Let it open as much as possible. Otherwise you run the risk of "dinking" the gun when you take it in or out.

As for other valuables. Yeah why not?

Yeah i dinked my old scope off the old safe barely fitted in sideways,

Better in a safe than in a drawer...Grand job sound again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

1shot16 wrote: »
    Would be able to open it half way might aswell have it opening full and leave the skirting board on the other side alone haha :pac:

Just wondering would it be a good/bad idea to store other valuables in there?

I collect coins and have gold silver and may old american coins from 1800's worth 3k :)

handy to keep passport, birth cert etc as well. it least then you always know exactly where to lay your hand on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

put safe in a corner in a way that its door swings open away from wall, this will make it difficult for a thief to leaver the safe door open with a leaver bar. Hilti bolt your safe to floor and solid wall for maximum security

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    handy to keep passport, birth cert etc as well. it least then you always know exactly where to lay your hand on them.

Yeah bank details etc...maybe more guns :P
    4200fps wrote: »
    put safe in a corner in a way that its door swings open away from wall, this will make it difficult for a thief to leaver the safe door open with a leaver bar. Hilti bolt your safe to floor and solid wall for maximum security

i would but thats the only corner free in my room.. radiators at the other side so thats not an option.
    Sure if some one rips it off the wall and gets it down the stairs id have to say fair play to them...its very heavy empty...throw a few cement blocks in too :pac:

Advertisement