Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Reconnection

Options
  • 19-02-2014 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

I am looking at a semi detached house thats for sale in an estate and the power to the house has been disconnected for over 2 years, am I correct in saying that the esb would treat this as a new connection (€1800)?
    The house was rewired about 15 years ago by the council and has a modern consumer unit, in principal would this be up to the current regulations for certifaction or would the house need to be rewired,
    Im just trying to get a handle on costs before I proceed any further.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 simpson80

Hi there
    did you ever get this sorted. how did it work out??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Jimmy_M

I know this is old... but a couple of years ago (2012) i bought a house similar to above - house was 30 yrs old elec disconnected for about 2 yrs.
    I too, was worried about paying a high price for re-connection.

The fact is though, it is treated administratively as a new connection.
    In reality though the work required is not the same. I cant remember the figure i was charged by esb networks but it was less than 100 euro. Its not like they have to run cable from the street to the house etc etc
    You have to have the correct cert to say that the wiring inside the house is up to scratch - this will be the most expensive part - but this is an issue for your electrician. There may be work required to bring it up to regs - if everything is ok - it will cost you the electricians time to run the necessary tests so he can do up the cert. (I had a mate do mine so there'd be no point me guessing how much that would cost you)
    As far as the ESB are concerned once the cert above is done - they come out and do some work in the outside box - afaik they're not even supposed to come in to the house. When i got re-connected, it took certainly less than an hour - which as i say above, was reflected in the charge from ESB.

I'll see can i dig out the invoice to find exact figure i was charged.

PS: found dealing with the ESB a bit weird. No emails or anything like that. They post these little notes/postcards with a guys phone number written in pen. I had to chase my particular guy for a while to get him to come out and even look at the place.

Advertisement