Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Girl limping

• 19-02-2014 9:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi Folks.
    I know there are other posts here about a dog limping, but hope it's ok to ask this. Our almost 10 y/o JR x seems to have injured her 'shoulder'. We don't know when or how it happened, but she's been limping on and off for a few days. Sometimes it's hardly noticible, but today it has become worse, moreso after she's been sleeping and starts to walk. She's a tough little puppy, so might hide more than she shows. Does anyone here have experience on what appears to be a shoulder injury, what she should sleep on etc.? She's fine in all other ways.
    I will be making a vets appointment first thing, but just wanted to put my mind at ease tonight. :(
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

At 10 years old it could be a bit of stiffness or the start of arthritis, your vet will be able to tell you.
    If it is there are supplements you can get to help, as well as meds. Hope it's minor and supplements or diet change may help for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭kinkygirl

Thanks so much mymo.
    We had been thinking about supplements for a while. Just hoping all will go well tomorrow. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

how did you get on at the vet - any diagnosis? As mymo said they can start to have aches/pains at this age. My dogs are on Glucosamine/Chrondroiton (spelling?) for their joints. My elderly terrier has arthritis in his shoulder - he's like a human, sometimes hes VERY stiff and really lame, other days the limp is hardly noticable (hes nearly 16, today he GALLOPED through the fields with the biggest 'smile' on his face, its gas the way they sometimes are in such good form and loving life :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭kinkygirl

aonb wrote: »
    how did you get on at the vet - any diagnosis? As mymo said they can start to have aches/pains at this age. My dogs are on Glucosamine/Chrondroiton (spelling?) for their joints. My elderly terrier has arthritis in his shoulder - he's like a human, sometimes hes VERY stiff and really lame, other days the limp is hardly noticable (hes nearly 16, today he GALLOPED through the fields with the biggest 'smile' on his face, its gas the way they sometimes are in such good form and loving life :))

Thanks for asking. The vet said it was a shoulder strain, probably caused by her jumping onto something high (she forgets how tiny her paws are :) ) He gave her a shot for pain and she is on anti-inflammatory pills for a few days, and give her a rest from walks for a week. He also thinks she has the beginning of arthritis in some joints, so we are starting her on glucosomine.
    We have to take her back in a week to see how she's doing.

Your little guy sounds like a real little soldier, bless his furry socks. :D

Advertisement