Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

long ethernet cable

Options
  • 19-02-2014 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭

Can anyone suggest a shop where I can buy 3m Ethernet at a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

damian139 wrote: »

Thanks in advance!
    What standard are you looking for? If you're looking for cat 5 (up to 10 Mb/s) any of the €2 shops should probably be fine, or the tesco own brand. If they have cat 5e or 6 for cheap these would be better. Don't spend a ridiculous amount!

If you know anyone with fixed line broadband they probably have a spare one lying around that came with the service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭jpb14

Thanks in advance!
    Dealz or Maplins for less than 2 euro.You might not get a 3 meter/9+ foot lead in Dealz though,as the longest Ive seen them in my local Dealz is 1.8 meters which is just over 6 feet long.
    If you are severely stuck then I can make you a 9+ feet long lead with Cat6 gigaspeed or Cat5e.Ive tons of RJ45 plugs here and around 1000 meters of Cat5e and Cat6 gigasped cable.Currently wiring my house with it for future proofing measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

I couldnt claim to be severely stuck, good of you to offer though, thanks a mil. If I've no success I may come back to you!
    I've several cables in the house but they're all standard size, having problems with efibre WiFi so have resorted to homeplugs, and in a couple of locations standard cable just won't reach. Thanks for the suggestions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭vcshqkf9rpzgoe

I got one in B&Q can't remember the price though

I couldnt claim to be severely stuck, good of you to offer though, thanks a mil. If I've no success I may come back to you!
    I've several cables in the house but they're all standard size, having problems with efibre WiFi so have resorted to homeplugs, and in a couple of locations standard cable just won't reach. Thanks for the suggestions!

Hard wiring and futureproofing your house is the way to go my friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I need to source a couple of fast Ethernet cables (to take full advantage of the 150mb fibre I get from UPC) about 5m long each to connect directly from the UPC modem to both a PS4 and an online media box used for streaming online content.

Any suggestions what spec cables I should be using and the best place to source them? Happy to buy in bricks and mortar in Dublin or online.

Cheers.

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

You can buy cat 5 or 6 in most electrical wholesalers and make one.

BenThere wrote: »
    I need to source a couple of fast Ethernet cables (to take full advantage of the 150mb fibre I get from UPC) about 5m long each to connect directly from the UPC modem to both a PS4 and an online media box used for streaming online content.

Any suggestions what spec cables I should be using and the best place to source them? Happy to buy in bricks and mortar in Dublin or online.

Cheers.

Ben
    Any good electrical wholesalers will do the following.
    RJ45 glass plugs around 50-55 cents each.
    Cat5E or Cat6 about 70 cents -1 euro per meter.
    Stanley knife for 1 euro.
    RJ45 crimper about 15 euro.(Woodies sell them too)
    I buy my Cat6 gigaspeed and Cat5e in large 305 meter boxes and on wooden drums at trade price.

Forgot to include a set of "mod taps" at about 7-8 euro a set.
    These are for testing RJ45 and RJ11 leads to make sure that all pairs and each single wire of the cat5e/cat6/silver satin lead are firmly making a connection at end of each glass plug.Also used for testing reverse or cross paired leads,which are more common in data centres and on large commercial grade switches.Just finishing off wiring my own house with lots of Cat6,extra co-ax and some flat hdmi aswell.
    Allways try to keep power cables seperate to Cat5e and Cat6 cables as this reduces cross talk and interference from the electrical cables.

Thanks guys,

Which is the correct standard for media streaming either from a NAS or online, Cat5E or Cat6?

Edit: Found this really useful little summary of CAT 5 Vs CAT 5E Vs CAT 6 - http://www.cableorganizer.com/articles/cat5-cat5e-cat6.htm

Ben

• Advertisement

BenThere wrote: »
    Thanks guys,

Which is the correct standard for media streaming either from a NAS or online, Cat5E or Cat6?

Edit: Found this really useful little summary of CAT 5 Vs CAT 5E Vs CAT 6 - http://www.cableorganizer.com/articles/cat5-cat5e-cat6.htm

Ben
    Cat6 gigaspeed has more twists in the orange pair and can handle and transfer bigger amounts of data and send/receive it faster too.Cat6 is slightly more bulky in size compared to Cat5e,about 1.2-1.5mm thicker in overall diameter.Cat6 also has a solid plastic shield running through the middle of it to keep all 4 pairs seperate from one another inside the sheeting.
    I would therefore install Cat6.
    Run at least 3 x Cat 6 cables to each location you will be wiring.That way you can use 2 of them them to make and carry a HDMI signal witn some Cat6-HDMI Baluns.And you have the 3rd Cat6 for a hard wired internet feed.

Thanks JPB14, appreciate it.

For anyone looking for CAT 6 cables I just bought 2 x 5m, 1 X 3m, 3 X 2m and 1 X 0.5m for £19.75 from Amazon delivered to Parcel Motel who will then deliver to me for €2.50 or so. These were the ones I got http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Core-Network-Cable-Ethernet-Gigabit/dp/B003BOTV34/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392984086&sr=8-1&keywords=Cable-Core+CAT+6+Network+Cable.+Ethernet+LAN+10%2F100%2F1000+Gigabit+Patch+Lead+White+3m

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

soundstore ,wilton,cork,e 4.99,standard 1 metre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

cheapest i found in a b&m store was e12.99 tesco, so ended up buying on ebay - £3.25 delivered for 2x 5m

Advertisement