Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The farcical state of renting in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

jane82 wrote: »
    If I suggested I withheld the deposit for 5 days after Ive moved in Im sure you would have no problem with that so?

Yeah I don't understand the reasoning. If I have to provide a deposit upfront, I don't see why I have to wait to get it back. One of my landlords in Dublin tried this and I insisted I be there for the inspection and got the cheque right away at the end of the lease.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Maybe somebody with a bit of computer savy would set up a rate your landlord type site. Id say it would generate income.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Jaybor

Maybe somebody with a bit of computer savy would set up a rate your landlord type site. Id say it would generate income.

Its been tried, but there are legal issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Would you like to be mentioned on a Rate your Tenant website? This may make it harder for you to get a house

davo10 wrote: »
    Would you like to be mentioned on a Rate your Tenant website? This may make it harder for you to get a house

I have no reasons to get bad references Ive never left a house on bad terms.

• Advertisement

Sit in the sitting room for 5 days and you would make your debut on such a site.

Yeah landlords have a reference system in place. There seems to be a lot of hatred towards the people paying your mortgage for you.
    Do landlords really get burned that much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Yeah I don't understand the reasoning. If I have to provide a deposit upfront, I don't see why I have to wait to get it back. One of my landlords in Dublin tried this and I insisted I be there for the inspection and got the cheque right away at the end of the lease.

Landlord insists on cash deposit so you are fully entitled to receive it back the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Of course you provide the deposit upfront. You are expecting the landlord to take the property off the market and not rent it to anyone else.

By the same token it's difficult to inspect a property when the tenant has not yet moved out, so a LL is not going to give the deposit back until that has happened.

When I was renting I never got the deposit back immediately so there was always an overlap when moving house. I'm struggling to see why this surprises people.

Yeah landlords have a reference system in place. There seems to be a lot of hatred towards the people paying your mortgage for you.

The LL is the one taking the risk in renting to you, the best way of reducing that risk is to find out as much as possible about you and your rental history.

You are not paying the mortgage, you are paying to rent a property. What the LL does with that money is their business the same way that the source of your money is your business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Jaybor

bumper234 wrote: »
    Landlord insists on cash deposit so you are fully entitled to receive it back the same way.

There is a lot of misinformation on this thread.

I suppose thats what comes from assuming that someone on the other end of a keyboard is some sort of an expert.

This is the first time Ive been told I couldnt pay the deposit on the morning I move in. I have never had a landlord try hold out on the deposit past the morning of moving out either.
    I wouldnt trust them to pay up. Would you provide your home address for them to call to collect? Theres no way Id let a strange man head off with a thousand or so euro belonging to me.

You are not "paying" the landlords mortgage. The landlord's financial situation is not your concern. You are paying for a service provided by the landlord, ie your rent.

In return for your rent, the landlord is putting in your care an asset worth hundreds of thousands of euro. Of course a reference system is in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

This is the first time Ive been told I couldnt pay the deposit on the morning I move in. I have never had a landlord try hold out on the deposit past the morning of moving out either.
    I wouldnt trust them to pay up. Would you provide your home address for them to call to collect? Theres no way Id let a strange man head off with a thousand or so euro belonging to me.

Exactly! LL does background checks, has references and knows where you work. Most people (at best) have a mobile number for a LL yet are expected to trust him/her to give you your deposit back a WEEK after you move out.

bumper234 wrote: »
    Exactly! LL does background checks, has references and knows where you work. Most people (at best) have a mobile number for a LL yet are expected to trust him/her to give you your deposit back a WEEK after you move out.

The LL's details are on the contract you sign.

You are not "paying" the landlords mortgage. The landlord's financial situation is not your concern. You are paying for a service provided by the landlord, ie your rent.

In return for your rent, the landlord is putting in your care an asset worth hundreds of thousands of euro. Of course a reference system is in place.

It doesnt matter what they do with the money I agree but at the end of the day they are your customer not a piece of dirt looking to ruin you.
    Ive heard plenty of stories of people moving in to a house to find something not working. Having an appliance broken and told they wont fix it or being shafted out of a deposit. If tesco or toyota were carrying on like that people would be allowed complain.
    So I think its fair tenants should have a rating system in place. 1000 euro may be nothing to you but to alot of people renting its all they have.

The LL's details are on the contract you sign.

Or a company name or a solicitors name. My lease didnt have any details for the landlord.

It doesnt matter what they do with the money I agree but at the end of the day they are your customer not a piece of dirt looking to ruin you.
    Ive heard plenty of stories of people moving in to a house to find something not working. Having an appliance broken and told they wont fix it or being shafted out of a deposit. If tesco or toyota were carrying on like that people would be allowed complain.
    So I think its fair tenants should have a rating system in place. 1000 euro may be nothing to you but to alot of people renting its all they have.

A €1000 deposit is equivalent to a months rent nothing more, nothing less and you have a right to its return if you comply with the terms of your lease.

Most LLs do not think their tenants are a piece of dirt unless they act like it.

All LLs would like a tenant rating system as well.

Or a company name or a solicitors name. My lease didnt have any details for the landlord.

So there are details for the LL, their company or their solicitor. You have an avenue to contact him/her.

How can your contract not have details for your LL, how could you have a contract if only one party (you) is on the document?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Unless someone does it in error, or out of malice.

• Advertisement

So why mention the mortgage? It does nothing for your argument and just makes you look petty.

Nor are all landlords greedy ogres looking to screw their tenants over. But the fact of the matter is that an aberrant tenant can cause a landlord a lot more damage and cost than vice versa.

So you've heard some anecdotal stories. And your point is? I could tell you plenty of stories - in fact you don't have to go much further than boards - of tenants who have screwed their landlords over royally.

And your comment about €1000 is just childish. €1000 is plenty of money, and it does mean a lot to me. But I can still understand and accept how renting works. Nevertheless I don't understand the correlation between having spare cash and having a rating system in place.

So there are details for the LL, their company or their solicitor. You have an avenue to contact him/her.

How can your contract not have details for your LL, how could you have a contract if only one party (you) is on the document?
    I am aparantly being rented to through a third party even though the ll is the only person Iv been in contact with. The land of make believe and rent books and ptrb seem great but in honesty you have to take what you can get. Ive never even seen a rent book ever.

beauf wrote: »
    Unless someone does it in error, or out of malice.

So the whole reference system should be in changed just in case a landlord gives a bad reference to a good tenant just for a laugh? I don't get it.

So the whole reference system should be in changed just in case a landlord gives a bad reference to a good tenant just for a laugh? I don't get it.

I dunno if the tread was merged or something but you've taken my comment out of context.

My comment was in reply to this. Any rate your teacher/solicitor/LL/tenant sites are all open to abuse.

As a general point references are only useful to a point. As professional scammer's are past masters at creating fake references. Even if someone gives a fake reference, what are you going to do. Sue them for creating a fake reference for people? Scammers can get a job for a month or two get a genuine reference then use it to get into a house.

beauf wrote: »
    My comment was in reply to this. Any rate your teacher/solicitor/LL/tenant sites are all open to abuse.

Exactly, tenant and LL fall out, both would end up on such a site and the tenant would come off worse as no one would rent to them.

The problem is Govts have really done very little to improve the renting system in this country. The PRTB is a step in the right direction, but its well short of whats needed.

In other countries its a 3 or 6 month deposit and held in a 3rd party bond. Places are unfurnished, and left repainted by the tenant when they leave. No hassle about breakages, damage or that messing. A deposit is big amount that LL and Tenants treat seriously.

Can I ask what would trigger a bad ref over a good one? Where would the line be drawn? Would a full wheelie bin or room not spotless get you one?
    Once you were paid up and no big damage (wear and tear etc) would a good one be given?
    If a LL feels hard done by through no fault of the tenant is there anything stopping him giving a good reference?
    I always get the mother to ring and pretend she is a Ll looking for a reference just to check. I do it changeing job too. Ive never had a bad one but I always make sure the place is ready to move in.

I am aparantly being rented to through a third party even though the ll is the only person Iv been in contact with. The land of make believe and rent books and ptrb seem great but in honesty you have to take what you can get. Ive never even seen a rent book ever.

Is the third party an estate agency? They are not your LL though they may be employed to moniter the tenancy. The property could also be owned by a company and the LL you met is a director.

Can I ask what would trigger a bad ref over a good one? Where would the line be drawn? Would a full wheelie bin or room not spotless get you one?
    in.

Not abiding by the terms of your lease agreement. You obtain a house in a certain condition, if you are a good tenant and leave the house in the condition you found it less any normal wear and tear, you should get a good reference after you leave and the house is examined.

Would you put a LL on that site because he/she didn't give you the good reference you feel the LL is required to give you before you have moved out?

• Advertisement

If I was shafted with money Id give a bad ref or left without heating for longer than is reasonable.
    Anything else.really I wouldnt be bothered filling out the form.

Advertisement