Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Council.....

Options
  • 19-02-2014 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Am fed-up driving to avoid potholes and replacing tyres. I paid more on car tax than insurance this year and last.

I am soooo mad and broke, yet, When those council candidates come aknockin' looking for votes...I will probably smile and nod like a clown.

I live in Cork South Central. I actually have only heard of one, Laura McGonigle- and that was because of the nonsense lights on the Well Road.

Having just driven from Charleville through the rocky mountain road that is Buttevant ...was hoping for a tyre replacement free week! Rant over!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

They would want to get their act together with all the dog sh*t all over the place(footpaths) also.Not enough fine signs.
    Winters Hill is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Gamb!t wrote: »
    They would want to get their act together with all the dog sh*t all over the place(footpaths) also.Not enough fine signs.

Agree....but would take dog sh€€e over blown out tyres.....that's how awful driving is - what else does the council not do????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Agree....but would take dog sh€€e over blown out tyres.....that's how awful driving is - what else does the council not do????

Any damage done to your car,why are you paying?

http://www.potholes.ie/claiming.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Am fed-up driving to avoid potholes and replacing tyres. I paid more on car tax than insurance this year and last.

I am soooo mad and broke, yet, When those council candidates come aknockin' looking for votes...I will probably smile and nod like a clown.

I live in Cork South Central. I actually have only heard of one, Laura McGonigle- and that was because of the nonsense lights on the Well Road.

Having just driven from Charleville through the rocky mountain road that is Buttevant ...was hoping for a tyre replacement free week! Rant over!

Did the one at the corner of Dunbar Street get you yet?

There is a good few tyres after paying the price there already, and it's getting bigger.

They just keep patching and patching it, and never repair it.

Mick Finn has mentioned it to the Council though.

MrFrisp wrote: »
    Did the one at the corner of Dunbar Street get you yet?

There is a good few tyres after paying the price there already, and it's getting bigger.

They just keep patching and patching it, and never repair it.

Mick Finn has mentioned it to the Council though.
    Nope... yet to encounter that one! TBH Mick Finn is the ONLY councillor I've heard of that does anything. Good on him!

Anyone know of anyone in potholeland Douglas??????

• Advertisement

Any damage done to your car,why are you paying?

http://www.potholes.ie/claiming.html

Never, ever heard of this.....Thank you Rhys Essien!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

There simply is no money to fix potholes. If there is any it's very little. The same goes for footpaths and new streetlights. If one of those old type gantry streetlights that hang over the road become faulty they may be repaired but can't be replaced. They are just left dark.

The Government told us if we paid our Property Tax it would go to the councils. However Phil Hogan simply took every cent collected and handed it to Irish Water. He did it last year with the Household Charge and this year with the Property Tax. He may even do it again next year.

And yet the Government has a fund for cycle lanes. Councils can either apply for it or leave it but they can't use the money to fix the potholes.

Nope... yet to encounter that one! TBH Mick Finn is the ONLY councillor I've heard of that does anything. Good on him!

Anyone know of anyone in potholeland Douglas??????

Can't help you there.

Since they made a mess of the roads in Douglas and erected that bloody eyesore of a car park thing, I have successfully avoided Douglas now for a number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I share your pain. The roads around Douglas are disintegrating and at best the council is only throwing some tarmac in the pot holes; repairs that are inadequate and only temporary.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

Millions being spent on ripping up roundabouts for no reason, widening paths everywhere for no reason and getting rid of filter lanes everwhere, causing traffic chaos in order to facilitate even more cycle lanes which aren't being used.

And yet, the road are falling apart and the council can hardly afford a bucket of gravel to fix them.

I'd say Laura McGonigle is delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

While the City Council is not perfect, and lots of roads are crumbling away, the condition of roads in Douglas and Buttevant is not its responsibility and, to be fair, putting up a few fine notices is not going to cause dog owners to suddenly start taking responsibility for their animals.

While the City Council is not perfect, and lots of roads are crumbling away, the condition of roads in Douglas and Buttevant is not its responsibility and, to be fair, putting up a few fine notices is not going to cause dog owners to suddenly start taking responsibility for their animals.

There's a crater on the Douglas Road close to the AIB which is very much the City Council's responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

This is more to do with the lackadasical attitude of owners taking them for walks, and roaming/stray dogs.
    All well and good putting up signs, who's going to fine them???
    Think if it were like smoking where you shouldn't, make it socially unacceptable, it would go some ways to keeping place clean, likewise fcuking rubbish out of car windows and fly tipping. Don't see it happening anytime soon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

I would love to meet the 'engineer' who decided to reduce Sullivans Quay to one lane at fordes pub/ south gate bridge

Traffic now backs up all the way down Georges quay in busy times, meaning cars cant now even go over Parliament bridge onto the mall from the left hand lane

Lunacy and incompetence at its best

Dbu wrote: »
    I would love to meet the 'engineer' who decided to reduce Sullivans Quay to one lane at fordes pub/ south gate bridge

Traffic now backs up all the way down Georges quay in busy times, meaning cars cant now even go over Parliament bridge onto the mall from the left hand lane

Here, here. Its causing traffic chaos since they did it.

'the condition of roads in Douglas and Buttevant is not its responsibility'

It's true re Buttevant, but Buttevant is the only thoroughfare linking the 2nd largest city in Ireland to the 3rd and 4th..... and the roads are atrocious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Never mind Winters Hill. You want to try the Northside mate! Absolutely disgusting, and NO litter bins (never mind dog bins) anywhere.

They made a walkway down the Glen. I no longer use it as it's a filthy, disgusting health hazard with lazy, ignorant, selfish people letting their fcuking dogs use it as a toilet...

This coming from a dog owner who DOES take responsibility for cleaning up after her dog and has poo bags EVERYWHERE (various jackets, car, handbag and kitchen!). I must be too English...

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

I too live on the Northside and completely agree with ABajanincork. When you do see someone cleaning up after their dog, 9 times out of 10 the owner is a foreign national.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

And another thing. Don't get me started on the state of the Ballyhooley Road!! Absolute nightmare of a road, no proper crossing from the Old Youghal Road up to the Fox and Hounds; full of potholes which the council have been threatening to finally fix since 2008! How someone hasn't broken an axle on that road yet is nothing short of a minor miracle. And no sign of anyone even looking to repair the road yet. Mind you - they did a very nice job of re-paving the sidewalk. ;)

Now that it's coming up to election time, we've had flyers from prospective councillors promising the moon and the stars if only we'd vote for them. Yeah, right.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

'the condition of roads in Douglas and Buttevant is not its responsibility'

It's true re Buttevant, but Buttevant is the only thoroughfare linking the 2nd largest city in Ireland to the 3rd and 4th..... and the roads are atrocious

2million going to sort out buttevant from NRA

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/worst-main-street-gets-2m-revamp-259183.html

• Advertisement

Dbu wrote: »

Agreed..

I also raised this matter with Mick Finn only a few days ago via social media.

He got back to me to say he thinks it was a terrible idea and he raised the issue with City Council last Monday night. As far as I know, he is still waiting to hear back from them about it.

It's as bad as what they have done to Washington St./Popes Quay.

And let's not forget what they have also done to South main St with the junction of Washington St. When you come from North Main St., you now need to be in the left lane if you are going straight on, as the right lane is for turning on to Washington St heading West only.

So if and when the traffic is building up from the Grand Parade, or Patrick's St, the cars can't turn left onto Washington St, which means the cars now cannot go straight onto South Main St either.

Some well stupid ideas, and decisions made there...

Is there more to come?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

MrFrisp wrote: »
    Agreed..

I also raised this matter with Mick Finn only a few days ago via social media.

He got back to me to say he thinks it was a terrible idea and he raised the issue with City Council last Monday night. As far as I know, he is still waiting to hear back from them about it.

It's as bad as what they have done to Washington St./Popes Quay.

And let's not forget what they have also done to South main St with the junction of Washington St. When you come from North Main St., you now need to be in the left lane if you are going straight on, as the right lane is for turning on to Washington St heading West only.

So if and when the traffic is building up from the Grand Parade, or Patrick's St, the cars can't turn left onto Washington St, which means the cars now cannot go straight onto South Main St either.

Some well stupid ideas, and decisions made there...

Is there more to come?

Yep Id say there is definitely more to come..
    Some classic examples of stupidity i have seen over the last few years from our councils are
    1. the lights at the end of the old carrigaline rd as you head to douglas.
    2, The comical painting of the cycle lane between flower shop on douglas rd as you head towards Douglas. Over a few weeks it was sprayed overnight, them removed, then redone, then removed again, then done again and finally removed. Now not even a line in the middle of the road.

Single handily they are fcuking up the city centre and surrounds. They a complete bunch of dimwits and I start from the top in that regard.

Lets get one thing straight here though, the Councillors really don't give a damn what goes on, they just after the owl expenses.

They have done ore than that.

1. Removed the 2 lanes south on Capwell Road to facilitate a cycle lane.
    2. Removed 2 lanes on the Infirmary Road to facilitate a cycle lane.
    3. Removing the roundabout at the end of the Well Road.
    4. Removing and then putting back the roundabout outside of Saint Finbarr's GAA club.
    5. Changing the filer lane setup between the Douglas Road and Ballinlough Road in order to widen the footpath (now the junction is much worse)
    6. Putting speed bumps literally everywhere in Ballyphehane.
    7. Traffic lights popping up everywhere on both the Douglas and South Douglas Road.
    8. Getting rid of the filter lane at the end of South Main Street (going onto Barrack Street). More traffic for no reason.
    9. Widening of the footpath on Merchants Quay, thereby removing a driving lane.
    10. Traffic lights at the end of Lovers Walk where it means the Lower Glanmire Road (more unnecessary traffic)

Truth be told, the list is close to endless.

4. Removing and then putting back the roundabout outside of Saint Finbarr's GAA club.
    5. Changing the filer lane setup between the Douglas Road and Ballinlough Road in order to widen the footpath (now the junction is much worse)
    7. Traffic lights popping up everywhere on both the Douglas and South Douglas Road.
    8. Getting rid of the filter lane at the end of South Main Street (going onto Barrack Street). More traffic for no reason.
    10. Traffic lights at the end of Lovers Walk where it means the Lower Glanmire Road (more unnecessary traffic)

That alone is a pretty damning list of F$£%-ups! Well....with local elections coming up- I'll print off this list and mention it if anyone comes looking for a vote

And don't forget to add a brand new set of traffic lights on Merchants Quay that are just being installed as we speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

That council should be halved. Far too many of them to do anything except bicker amoung themselves.

You can add at least 3 areas of illegal dumping that are being completely ignored to the list of potholes etc. i don't know how many times i've reported it at this stage. Ignored as usual. Parts of the recreational walk (old railway line) look like the city dump at this stage.

Laura mcgonigle was the only person on that council who i have seen repeatedly sitting in that chamber and ignoring all the proceeds around her while she is texting or tweeting. Blood boils thinking about it.

I don't expect to see any of them out canvasing my way anyway. They know to steer well clear of areas which are affected by their idiotic decisions.

Advertisement