Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training as a security installer (Cctv, Access Control etc)..

Options
  • 19-02-2014 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Hi folks just looking for some info on the above if anyone could help it would be great. Just wondering how long the training for this takes, is it similar to the length of an apprenticeship? And whats the rates of pay like for a trainee, similar to apprenticeship as well. Thanks in advance folks, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

This would be a starting point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

This what?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

wazzer1 wrote: »
    This what?? :)

If you look at his post you will notice that the 'THIS' word is blue.
    Click on that and you will be transferred to a FAS page.

Best of luck.

Sorry i didnt notice that on my phone. Cheers thanks.

Sorry i didnt notice that on my phone. Cheers thanks.

Keep us posted as to how it goes for you. This whole FAS thing is all new to us old timers.

• Advertisement

Well the reason I was I was wondering was because a company were advertising looking to hire trainee security system installers. It didn't mention apprenticeships or anything like it so I found it a bit strange?

Well the reason I was I was wondering was because a company were advertising looking to hire trainee security system installers. It didn't mention apprenticeships or anything like it so I found it a bit strange?

Interesting alright, personally if I was thinking of employing a trainee my first port of call would now be FAS, with regard to this whole new apprenticeship training scheme they are now running.
    I feel that would be the fairest way to go especially with regard to the trainee.

Sorry for all the questions kub but what did the training involve before the apprenticeship?

Sorry for all the questions kub but what did the training involve before the apprenticeship?

Ask away Wazzer we were all in your position. I started a long long time ago, my first wage packet was £48. The training depended upon what company you started with, i was lucky, I was trained well by some competent guys. I know of others who were not as lucky and now have some bad practices and habits. The training was basically I was a boy and had to remember that, it started as cleaning up after others, assembling bell boxes, pre wiring houses. Then it became second fixing detectors, bell boxes then junction boxes and finally onto panels. After about 3 years of 2nd fixing new houses I was left loose on full installs on finished houses and commercial premises. The odd service call was also passed on to me, then once I had the alarm stuff learned I was shown Fire systems, automatic gates, intercoms, CCTV etc. I stayed with that company for a long time and ended up doing service full time. (Service still my favorite).
    I welcome this new Fas training for new entrants, but if FAS continue on their current track of writing to guys like me with over 20 years experience and suggesting that we need training, then I will be having serious words with them. I mean my work is inspected and has been both by NSAI and EQA and am licensed by PSA, so I reckon we must know what we are doing. Sorry for digressing.

Thanks for that kub. Ive served my time as a sparks but its very hard to find steady work as we all well know, your area was one i was always interested in and probaly regret not doing. Another 4 year apprenticeship seems a bit much in alot of ways..money etc..id a feeling it had been made an apprenticeship hence my original question...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

You can do this training in the likes of high tech also. Saves on the 4 years. The best way is hands on experience tho.

Advertisement