Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stats

Options
  • 20-02-2014 3:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

Is there anywhere I can get some stats?
    For example how many posts there have been on the site on a particular day.
    Out of interest what actually is the record number of posts on boards on a given day.
    How many bans have been dished out on a given day.
    How many bans have been lifted on a given day.
    Number of threads start in a particular forum on a given day.
    Record number of posts by a user on a given day.
    Record number of times a poster used "on a given day" in a post on a given day. :P

You get the idea. So any stats?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Quick answer: no.

Longer answer: we don't track most of what you've mentioned and the rest is Google Analytics stuff that you need to be an employee to see. We are in the process of putting together a tool in-house to monitor some of these things though, but again, it'll be an employees only tool.

Counter question: Why do you want this info and what benefit does it gain you? I'm not knee-jerking "you must be up to no good!" or anything of the sort, but I'm genuinely curious as to why you would want to know this or why you think we should share it. If there's a reason beyond "I'm just being nosey :p" then we may make these sorts of things public domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It could be interesting to see how activity spikes correalate with real world events and how the nature of posting (bans per day) correalate with those spikes.

The individual poster questions and bans lifted questions are not interesting imo.

But:

- amount of posts sitewide per day (plus record high / low figures);
    - amount of posts broken down by category / forum per day (plus record high / low figures);
    - amount of site bans per day;
    - amount of forum bans per day;

would be an interesting way of interpreting site history and gaining a different view on how boards is used.

Whether you wish to make such info public is one thing, but I'm surprised ye aren't tracking this stuff yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I found a few stats here about Boards (although it's not really the sort of thing Teddy was asking about). http://www.distilledmedia.ie/statistics/

I was surprised that only 53.3% of visitors to Boards are Male, I thought it would have been higher that that. There was a Boards Poll was back in 2005 which found that 81% of posters were male

Yea, but I remember when there were literally 2 women on the site Skid, it's great that the balance has been addressed :)

The Distilled stats are pretty out of date (2010 ABC figures).

I'd be happy to put together some current stats though and will post them tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Dav wrote: »
    Quick answer: no.

Longer answer: we don't track most of what you've mentioned and the rest is Google Analytics stuff that you need to be an employee to see. We are in the process of putting together a tool in-house to monitor some of these things though, but again, it'll be an employees only tool.

Counter question: Why do you want this info and what benefit does it gain you? I'm not knee-jerking "you must be up to no good!" or anything of the sort, but I'm genuinely curious as to why you would want to know this or why you think we should share it. If there's a reason beyond "I'm just being nosey :p" then we may make these sorts of things public domain.

It's basically what LuckyLloyd said. I just think it would be interesting if you could see some site stats and how they relate to what's currently going on in the world.
    Also things like do less people use the site during Summer as opposed to the Winter? I'd imagine they do but who knows.
    Just those sort of things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Yea, but I remember when there were literally 2 women on the site Skid, it's great that the balance has been addressed :)
    That was Ber and Thaed..

They started the downward spiral of wimmins being on the internetz, damn them!!!!111!one!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It could be interesting to see how activity spikes correalate with real world events and how the nature of posting (bans per day) correalate with those spikes.

The individual poster questions and bans lifted questions are not interesting imo.

But:

- amount of posts sitewide per day (plus record high / low figures);
    - amount of posts broken down by category / forum per day (plus record high / low figures);
    - amount of site bans per day;
    - amount of forum bans per day;

would be an interesting way of interpreting site history and gaining a different view on how boards is used.

Whether you wish to make such info public is one thing, but I'm surprised ye aren't tracking this stuff yourself.

Bans and site bans per day wouldn't be very interesting unless you could break them down into spammer/non-spammer bans. There are a lot of accounts banned and sitebanned which are bots spamming the usual crap, the number of these is really an admin/employee issue rather than a public interest one.

Forum bans, it'd be interesting to see the relationship between a rise above usual traffic and an increase in bans, especially for forums that have very much a group of "regulars" dominating posting as opposed to forums with constant churn like AH. Raw numbers again don't tell you much though, you'll find plenty of Politics bans running up to an election from people spamming polls/advertising for some candidate and this again is more an admin/employee thing than a general interest thing.

Things like site traffic numbers are pretty sensitive commercially. I could understand the company not wanting them to be public knowledge. Ditto number of registrations per month etc.

More publicly interesting stuff would be general demographics, average number of forums read and that kind of stuff. My prediction would be that the average user hangs around in a couple of forums and ignores the rest of the site and may or may not add AH or whatever as well.

Steve wrote: »
    That was Ber and Thaed..

They started the downward spiral of wimmins being on the internetz, damn them!!!!111!one!

Actually no, they're only blow-ins :p

The two ladies I was thinking of were Quake players. I don't think Beruthiel ever played Quake (but she does play games) and Thaed was more of a UT player.

Actually no, they're only blow-ins :p

The two ladies I was thinking of were Quake players. I don't think Beruthiel ever played Quake (but she does play games) and Thaed was more of a UT player.

Unreal Tournament folks.

I'll tell you who I really miss from Boards admin team....G'em!
    G'em was probably your best admin. So polite.
    Dav I want to pwn you at Quake some day :P
    I'd work for less money than I'm on if boards were to offer me a job, just saying....

Dav I want to pwn you at Quake some day :P

Ah now, if you never set yourself difficult goals you'll never truly improve! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

If the stats were made public domain, then all sorts of pretty graphs could be made. I like pretty graphs. I like them so much that I'd support a BoardStat forum specifically for such pretty graphs.

Can we? Please....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

MadsL wrote: »
    If the stats were made public domain, then all sorts of pretty graphs could be made. I like pretty graphs. I like them so much that I'd support a BoardStat forum specifically for such pretty graphs.

Can we? Please....
    Eh screw you and your graph's, pie charts is where its at nowadays.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

ken wrote: »
    Eh screw you and your graph's, pie charts is where its at nowadays.:D

Bar Charts...#just sayin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Yea, I like this idea too. Most posters on, tracking significant events, most popular forums Summer/Winter etc etc. I guess if you're part of a site like boards there's a general curiosity and interest in what goes on- I think lots of boardsies think that this site is a key supplier of information and discussion on what's happening in Ireland so some stats to see how this plays out would certainly be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

MadsL wrote: »

Can we? Please....

I too would like to see such a forum. I have an active thread in the forum requests.....forum :P

I would love to get my hands on such data. I have a range of data visualization tools at my disposal. One of my more basic charts even got picked up by the journal / dailyedge. Have a peek! :cool:

If anyone wants to give me a randomised sample of data, I would be happy to visualize!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

keith16 wrote: »
    I have an active thread in the forum requests.....forum :P
    Amateur failure to pimp your link. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I'd love to know the stat on how many PMs have been sent over the years.

That would be fascinating, if you're me.

Millions?

Any updates?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Any updates?

Here's one for you:

There has been a 100% increase in posts over the last month in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy forum.

- All that actually means is someone posted today, first time in ages.

Aren't stats great! ;)

bump

• Advertisement

Why do you keep bumping this thread?

Your question was answered by Dav - there's no stats like what you asked about for public consumption at this time.

Dades wrote: »
    Why do you keep bumping this thread?

Your question was answered by Dav - there's no stats like what you asked about for public consumption at this time.

Did Dav not say there would be developments if people were interested in the data?
    I'd love to be able to access that data. I have some ideas how it could be quite valuable to me ;)

Hmmmm this thread has almost 2000 views compared with other threads of this age so obviously the corporate decision could be made leaning in favour of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Hmmmm this thread has almost 2000 views compared with other threads of this age so obviously the corporate decision could be made leaning in favour of it. because Teddy keeps bumping the fupping thing

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

According to the stats 1750 of those views are Teddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

A friend of mine who works in the area told me that boards, and message boards in general aren't doing very well at all in the last year or two. I'm sure boards.ie don't want to advertise that their page views are down, as it may make attracting advertisers difficult. I'd imagine that's why they are reluctant to release the stats Teddy.

My friend told me the internet wasn't doing well in general. Soon you'll be able to buy nudie pictures in magazines and that'll be the end for it.

A friend of mine who works in the area told me that boards, and message boards in general aren't doing very well at all in the last year or two. I'm sure boards.ie don't want to advertise that their page views are down, as it may make attracting advertisers difficult. I'd imagine that's why they are reluctant to release the stats Teddy.

Eh, it's common knowledge that pay rates for (the less aggressive) internet advertising have dropped substantially in recent years. Dav has commented on it publicly here and I think advertisers are well aware of it. :P

Advertisement