Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Getting Neutered In The Morning

• 20-02-2014 5:41am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    My Ali is due to get neutered in the morning and I'm just wondering what should I expect?
    She's allergic to penicillin which I already mentioned to the vet.
    She's a Miniture Jack Russell. She's 2 and is my baby, the thoughts of leaving her at the vets are slightly daunting to me.
    I've heard people say that it changes their personality, is there any truth in this?
    Will she get fat?
    How long will she be sore for?
    She's due to go in at 9 this morning and I'm just wondering what I should expect?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

Hi, myself and my girlfriend got our JR neutered. It did not change her personality. She is still the most friendly girl ever. She did gain weight though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Hi, myself and my girlfriend got our JR neutered. It did not change her personality. She is still the most friendly girl ever. She did gain weight though.

That's great, thanks for the reply.
    The last major time she was at the vets she nearly died (was given penicillin) so I'm a bit worried.
    I've no idea what I'm doing up at 5am worrying about it though :P

She will be sore for a few days. The vet will fit her with a collar type thing, so she cant get at the incision. She will be given painkillers, and after 2 or 3 days there will be big improvements in her ability to move. She will be fine. Make sure the vet has a good reputation.

OP, make sure the vet is well informed of her allergy to penicillin. She will be fine and try not to worry, i was the same. Goodluck.

OP, make sure the vet is well informed of her allergy to penicillin. She will be fine and try not to worry, i was the same. Goodluck.

She's well aware, I made sure if it!
    Thanks again :)

• Advertisement

Just dropped her off, she was crying the whole time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭acermaple

Hi Alan,how did it go, did you get your baby back yet?

acermaple wrote: »
    Hi Alan,how did it go, did you get your baby back yet?

Hi there,
    We're going to collect her at 4:30pm
    Apparently everything went okay and she was only waking up when we rang to check on her.
    I'll update as soon as she gets back, maybe a picture or 2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭acermaple

That's great, good luck. I have fostered a few dogs over the last 12 months and have had to get most of them of various ages and sizes neutered. In my experience the girls are usually a bit more zonked when they get home from the vets, the smaller ones especially but it is a bigger op for them, poor things. She wont be in any pain though and vet will give you some meds for tomorrow. Just lots of tlc, some scraps of her favorite food to keep her going, bring the water to her if she doesnt feel like moving and follow vets advice and she will be giving you licks and love again before you know it:)

acermaple wrote: »
    That's great, good luck. I have fostered a few dogs over the last 12 months and have had to get most of them of various ages and sizes neutered. In my experience the girls are usually a bit more zonked when they get home from the vets, the smaller ones especially but it is a bigger op for them, poor things. She wont be in any pain though and vet will give you some meds for tomorrow. Just lots of tlc, some scraps of her favorite food to keep her going, bring the water to her if she doesnt feel like moving and follow vets advice and she will be giving you licks and love again before you know it:)
    I'm actually sitting in the Vets now waiting for her. Will be sure to update!

• Advertisement

She's home now. Ah she's totally out of sorts. Have her in her bed with the heater on. I'll update more later when she's settled. I appreciate everyone's feedback.

Good to hear everything went well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

She's home now. Ah she's totally out of sorts. Have her in her bed with the heater on. I'll update more later when she's settled. I appreciate everyone's feedback.

she will probably be out of sorts for the rest of the night its the effect of the ani wearing off

you will see a big difference in the morn

Apologies for the late reply, here are some pictures of Ali as she was coming home. As you can probably tell the anesthetic hadn't worn off yet! :P
    She's having a well deserved rest at the minute.
    (The second is as she's coming in the door and the other 2 are off her resting.)
    Thanks again for all your replies!

shes a dote and one spoilt little lady so lucky me thinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

lovely little JRT!
    The worst part of neutering I think is that blasted cone - it will drive her bonkers no doubt. Hopefully you will be able to get it off asap.
    As others have said, waiting for the anaesthetic to wear off is a bit worrying - in case she is whining/whimpering/disorientated. Dont worry if shes not inclined to eat/drink, and keep her warm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Wow she's a really nice dog.im sure she will be holding around the house in no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Don't worry about weight gain, that's much more dependent on what she's eating and how much she's exercised. One of mine lost weight after she was neutered.

Thank you all for the lovely comments.
    She's my little baby, she just happens to have 4 legs :P
    Vet said that later on during the day to give her plain boiled chicken and some of her favourite food, she ate half the chicken breast and all of the few treats she got.
    One thing that nearly broke my heart was that she's an indoor dog and she sleeps upstairs, I was going upstairs and Ali wanted to follow me and she couldn't get up because the cone was in the way, so all she could do was just stand at the bottom of the stairs!
    She's still sleeping.
    Cone seems to be annoying her but she'll have to get used to it I suppose.
    This is the Vet I went to: Link.
    Of course her being allergic to penicillin she had to get a special anesthetic at the cost of €16!!
    Total was around €147.
    This thread has helped me loads, nice to see fellow animal lovers sharing their experiences :)

as kylith mentioned above weight gain is not something to be concerned about I had 1 of my springers spayed last October and I can honestly say she has not put on any weight

she seems more energetic if that's possible as shes a nutter anyway shes 1 of 5 I have they gets 2 runs daily in a bog near me both 30mins at the moment haven't changed her food or feeding pattern in any way

I know shes spoiled already lol the pics tell their own story but don't be overdoing the treats feeling sorry for her they get to like em very easily

• Advertisement

jimf wrote: »
    as kylith mentioned above weight gain is not something to be concerned about I had 1 of my springers spayed last October and I can honestly say she has not put on any weight

she seems more energetic if that's possible as shes a nutter anyway shes 1 of 5 I have they gets 2 runs daily in a bog near me both 30mins at the moment haven't changed her food or feeding pattern in any way

I know shes spoiled already lol the pics tell their own story but don't be overdoing the treats feeling sorry for her they get to like em very easily
    She surely is spoilt, I love her to bits though haha :P
    All my family are all dog lovers and in general animals lovers so I must've picked it up from there :)
    Yeah, the Vet said to take away around 1/3 of her food just to stop her from gaining any weight. She only weighs 4.3Kg. She's taking the next few days easy but she'll be back walking soon I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

She surely is spoilt, I love her to bits though haha :P
    All my family are all dog lovers and in general animals lovers so I must've picked it up from there :)
    Yeah, the Vet said to take away around 1/3 of her food just to stop her from gaining any weight. She only weighs 4.3Kg. She's taking the next few days easy but she'll be back walking soon I'd imagine.

4.3kg... Ha. Cute thing! My 10 week old pup weighs 10kg.

His big brother got neutered last year so here's my tuppence worth...

Sometimes they just need less food in proportion to the hormone imbalance that comes with neutering. So watch portion size.

Our lad didn't poop for FOUR days afterwards - so don't panic - so long as water and food are going in...

Please don't remove the 'cone of shame' out of guilt or sadness. It'll guilt/sadden you a lot more if those stitches get pulled at or removed.

Behaviour may be off for a few days but nearly all pets are the same again in no time.

Best wishes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

As above for the cone..
    Had to leave it on my fella for 10 days as he had to get abdominal surgery for neutering. It comes off today and he'll be delighted.
    For a few days he'd wouldn't touch his normal food and I had to give him home cooked food etc to keep him going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Great everything went well - be prepared for the 'cone stare' when our female was spayed she had that pure look of disgust on her as soon as she realised she was wearing the cone. And we persevered with it, and the cone went through some hardships by the time we went to get her stitches out it was held together with duct type in four places.

Her temperment never changed and she hasn't put on weight though shes highly energetic.

Yeah best advice is don't bend to the cone stare - having those stitches opened would be awful. My OH kept saying ah look her take the cone off for a little while but I was adamant it only takes seconds for those stitches to be chewed out!

My pup is getting castrated next month - I know he'll be fine but still I worry, so I understand your initial concerns!

Advertisement