Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why me

Options
  • 20-02-2014 8:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I cannot understand why I am getting picked on at work. I get told off for things that my colleagues get away with.

I was told of for using my mobile phone in the lobby and was told to find a spare room. My colleagues use the lobby and dont get told off.

I was told off for talking to colleagues about my job because I work in two offices and told them when I was due to work in the other office so they know where I am. My boss said it is his job not mine to tell colleagues.

I was told off for walking across the road during work to the cafe to buy coffee and other colleagues do it without complaint.

When I told my manager that other staff do exactly what I am told off for then my boss says do not concern yourself about others, just do what we say. One of my colleagues was rude to me so I complained to her boss and he said he would have a word with her. He has not had a word with her so he has allowed her to get away with it.

All in all, although the nature of my work is interesting, I dislike my managers and I feel that in order to keep the peace I should go in, sit at my desk, put my head down and work... speak to nobody except on work related issues and then put my head up at going home time.

I was annoyed with being treated different to my colleagues so I said to my manager if there are certain rules that have to be adhered to by staff then the Director should put a note round to all staff to state what should and should not be appropriate conduct. ie if you are not allowed to use the lobby for mobile phone calls the it should be the same for everyone. I was told that the Director has put a note round but I have never seen it so I think my manager was lying. One of my colleagues recently stood in the lobby on her phone, so I warned her that I was told off for it and she said "oh but I do not do it very often". Neither did I but I was seen by a manager and told off about it. I guarantee if a manager had seen my colleague they would have taken no notice. I feel I have every right to express my views about other peoples behaviour when they seem to continually do what I am told not to do and nobody pulls them up on it. I am also not allowed to chat to anyone during work hours about anything other than work because they see it as if I have time to chat about a non work matter then it looks like I have no work to do. The other day two of my colleagues were chatting for over 20 minutes laughing and joking and the boss was around and could see what was happening and walked up to them and joined in, also laughing and joking, but if I were to do that, I get immediately told off.

I tried complaining to the union which was no good because they more or less said if that is what my bosses want then it would be in my best interests to 'obey'. I was so disgusted with the union for not backing me up that I have written to them to terminate my membership because what am I paying my membership for? for help and when I ask for it, I dont get it.

Anyone got any advice? If I did not like the nature of the work I would hand in my notice but at the end of the day jobs are hard to come by and I am in a secure job and I could go out of the frying pan and into the fire and at the end of the day I have no fear of redundancy or anything, its just very horrible controlling bosses.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If you are arguing with management about the rules, and attempting to enforce those same rules on your colleagues, then I wonder if you are perceived as being difficult. Maybe that is why you get no leeway and others do. To respond to a reprimand with 'but theyre doing it' sounds petty and pedantic tbh, and I'm not surprised its doing you no favours.

At the end of the day you do what your bosses say. What other people do is not relevant. .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

employee50 wrote: »
    :eek:

I cannot believe what you just posted. What other people do is very much relevant. I am not being difficult but for goodness sake, if I had staff to manage I would treat them all equally.

But you don't have staff to manage.

Telling other staff members how they should act is completely the wrong thing to do - you will end up alienating all your co-workers.

Oryx was trying to offer a genuine observation but because you did not like it you dismissed it as rubbish.

If this is the way you deal with managers / colleagues, it's not surprising that you are having issues at work.

Do not take things so personal.

:eek:

I cannot believe what you just posted. What other people do is very much relevant. I am not being difficult but for goodness sake, if I had staff to manage I would treat them all equally.

You asked, on an open forum, why you have a problem. I suggested you may be perceived in a particular way. (Based on one post btw). Its up to you to take on board that possibility or not. Its an opinion on your situation.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

If you think you are being unfairly treated then you need to concentrate on that and not on what your colleagues are doing. Keep notes over a prolonged period and see what you have at the end of the year. Take advice at that stage.

At this point it seems to me that you were caught nipping out for coffee during work and making a personal call in a prohibited area, it's not relevant if other people do it and are not caught.

I think you just need to keep your head down for a while and do your work, if at the end of the year a professional views your notes and says you have something, then you can decide what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 employee50

dilallio wrote: »
    But you don't have staff to manage.

Telling other staff members how they should act is completely the wrong thing to do - you will end up alienating all your co-workers.

Oryx was trying to offer a genuine observation but because you did not like it you dismissed it as rubbish.

If this is the way you deal with managers / colleagues, it's not surprising that you are having issues at work.

Do not take things so personal.

What rubbish. I want a fair and just society. Just because I am not a manager, doesn't mean I don't have an idea how staff should be treated. I have worked in offices where this kind of thing never happened and everyone was treated equally. And you might ask if it was so nice and equal why am I not still working there? The answer is that although the managers were all nice and fair, the office as a whole had cutbacks and some people lost their jobs as a result. Otherwise I would have stayed there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

dilallio wrote: »

This x 1,000,000. Everything else I say here is meant as constructive advice and I hope you will take it as such.

If your manner at work is anything like the vibe you've given off in your posts here I'm not surprised that you're rubbing up one and all the wrong way. Everything about your posts here, from the title (which I wasn't even sure I could or should take seriously) to the prickly, martyr-like attitude you seem to show at work seems drenched in a sense of entitlement and a woe-is-me attitude. Demanding notes are sent around the office, running to the union with issues that they clearly don't take very seriously (could be because they don't think you have a leg to stand on?),

Take your own advice:

"I feel that in order to keep the peace I should go in, sit at my desk, put my head down and work"

I would assume (based on the not wholly substantive evidence of your two posts here) that your work managers don't like you much (and why should they, you openly admit you don't like them?), perceiving you to be somewhat of a squeaky wheel who's looking for something to be wrong at any given time. This doesn't make it right IF you are being treated unfairly but given all that you have outlined here I honestly think your best course of action if you're not happy to consider looking elsewhere for employment is to suck it up and try to change the impression that these people probably have of you. And that will take time, potentially quite a lot of time.

Good luck anyway.

This x 1,000,000. Everything else I say here is meant as constructive advice and I hope you will take it as such.

If your manner at work is anything like the vibe you've given off in your posts here I'm not surprised that you're rubbing up one and all the wrong way. Everything about your posts here, from the title (which I wasn't even sure I could or should take seriously) to the prickly, martyr-like attitude you seem to show at work seems drenched in a sense of entitlement and a woe-is-me attitude. Demanding notes are sent around the office, running to the union with issues that they clearly don't take very seriously (could be because they don't think you have a leg to stand on?),

Take your own advice:

"I feel that in order to keep the peace I should go in, sit at my desk, put my head down and work"

I would assume (based on the not wholly substantive evidence of your two posts here) that your work managers don't like you much (and why should they, you openly admit you don't like them?), perceiving you to be somewhat of a squeaky wheel who's looking for something to be wrong at any given time. This doesn't make it right IF you are being treated unfairly but given all that you have outlined here I honestly think your best course of action if you're not happy to consider looking elsewhere for employment is to suck it up and try to change the impression that these people probably have of you. And that will take time, potentially quite a lot of time.

Good luck anyway.

Oh well, I shall not pursue this thread again

Goodbye all

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

how your boss treats other people or what other people get away with is none of your business. you are not being treated unfairly as things like nipping across the road for coffee during work and making personal calls in public areas are not very professional things to be carrying out at work and your boss is correct to pull you up. what other colleagues can get away is none of your concern. do your job and do it well.

Oh well, I shall not pursue this thread again

Goodbye all
    If your bosses, your colleagues, your union and general opinion here is that you are the problem, you would do well to at least consider that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I cannot understand why I am getting picked on at work. I get told off for things that my colleagues get away with.

I was told of for using my mobile phone in the lobby and was told to find a spare room. My colleagues use the lobby and dont get told off.
    I find it all comes down to how long you have been working there for. Most managers clamp down on new starters breaking the rules at the start, so they break them less as time goes on. In saying that, if you have been there a while, and have always been seen to break the rules and/or disrespectful to the managers, you'll be given a hard time.

My advice; keep your head down and stay out of trouble for two weeks, and then bring in buns and/or some cake on a Friday for the craic. It will either soften the mood of the place towards you, or you'll stuff yourself full of buns. Win-win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I should go in, sit at my desk, put my head down and work... speak to nobody except on work related issues and then put my head up at going home time.

That is exactly what a large percentage of the population does.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

... I feel that in order to keep the peace I should go in, sit at my desk, put my head down and work... speak to nobody except on work related issues and then put my head up at going home time.

And the problem with this is?????

Oryx wrote: »
    If your bosses, your colleagues, your union and general opinion here is that you are the problem, you would do well to at least consider that.

I am not the problem. For goodness sake its people like you lot i run from and keep running.

I am not the problem. For goodness sake its people like you lot i run from and keep running.

Enough now. I want nothing more to do with this forum

Wow. I wasnt even being horrible.

You may want to request this thread is closed, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Enough now. I want nothing more to do with this forum

Ok, I think we'll take that as a request to close the thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement