Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Landlords

Options
  • 20-02-2014 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering what landlords are like in australia. We recently signed a 4 month agreement(hand written page). It includes bill however she did say that if the electricity is over used, an excess will need to be paid. I am slightly worried as if its anything to go by irish landlords. they will use any method possible to retain the bond.

Can people please enlighten us on their experiences. So far we have noticed the fridge(the freezer doesnt work at all, we put all of our food into the freezer section as the bridge isnt cool enough in general), the washer also doesnt work properly. we need to manually put water in and we may need to wash our clothes twice for it to properly work. What is the best way to approach this as i want to keep these as documentation in case the landlord does nothing and still tried to retain our deposit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Fol20 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I was just wondering what landlords are like in australia. We recently signed a 4 month agreement(hand written page). It includes bill however she did say that if the electricity is over used, an excess will need to be paid. I am slightly worried as if its anything to go by irish landlords. they will use any method possible to retain the bond.

Can people please enlighten us on their experiences. So far we have noticed the fridge(the freezer doesnt work at all, we put all of our food into the freezer section as the bridge isnt cool enough in general), the washer also doesnt work properly. we need to manually put water in and we may need to wash our clothes twice for it to properly work. What is the best way to approach this as i want to keep these as documentation in case the landlord does nothing and still tried to retain our deposit.

Where are you living? I know in Victoria, and I think its the same in other states but I could be wrong, that the bond should be deposited by the landlord with the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA) . You should have get an official receipt from them. This is the law and is in place to protect both the tenant and landlord. They are pretty serious about landlords that don't comply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Im living in Sydney and have paid for everything in cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Have a read of this.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70549547

Similar situation to yourself.

Advertisement