Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request for fastpath

Options
  • 20-02-2014 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

hey I am on a 70mb connection and would like to get fastpath enabled since I game most of the time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    hey I am on a 70mb connection and would like to get fastpath enabled since I game most of the time.
    Hi bloodyhawk

I've sent this to managers in technical support and they have advised me that fastpath is not available with eircoms broadband and this is a service eircom cannot provide.

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

hey I am on a 70mb connection and would like to get fastpath enabled since I game most of the time.
    Hi bloodyhawk

I've sent this to managers in technical support and they have advised me that fastpath is not available with eircoms broadband and this is a service eircom cannot provide.

Thanks

Al
    Hmm.. i see. then Alan you might be able to help me out. through out last week ping on my connection suddenly dropped below 10ms 
    here, what I used to get:
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2973663719
    what I get now after the sudden drop:
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3310832154
    I was absolutely delighted cause my gaming experience has improved like it has never before. 
    But today again, at approximately 7:00 it changed back to the previous ping times of 20-30. 
    i was pretty shocked to find out that this advantage has been yet again taken away from me. 
    I rang the tech support today and was told that they don't know anything about it. 
    I also told them that my delay was 0ms while I was under 10 ping, and now i have 4ms delay on the upstream and 7ms delay on the downstream, could that be the cause of it? what is going on? I would like to get back my ping times cause gaming is the only reason i have this internet for i hope you understand thank you in advance.

Oh yeah and my SNR Margin and attainable net data rate also changed.

On 10ms and lower ping times i had
    SNR Margin of 13.1 upload and 13.1 download
    now I am getting 11.2 upload and 9.1 download.

same with the the attainable net data rate.
    On 10ms and lower ping times: 20.00mbps upstream and 80.00 downstream.
    Now: 32.874 Mbps upstream and 96.928 Mbps downstream.
    this information might not be necessary but i will still provide it just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Eircom provide fastpath on their 24Mb adsl profile 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

this information might not be necessary but i will still provide it just in case
    Hi bloodyhawk
    we have had a number of posts on this issue. At the moment we are compiling a list of these posters and sending to technical support for further investigation. Did you get a fault ref number when you called support? If not I would advise calling, having them test line, open case and provide a fault ref number. PM this to us and we can chase for you.
    Tony

• Advertisement

this information might not be necessary but i will still provide it just in case
    Hi bloodyhawk
    we have had a number of posts on this issue. At the moment we are compiling a list of these posters and sending to technical support for further investigation. Did you get a fault ref number when you called support? If not I would advise calling, having them test line, open case and provide a fault ref number. PM this to us and we can chase for you.
    Tony
    No, I haven't been given a ref number. All I was told was that basically they didn't know what was going on and couldn't do anything about it? What should I do? should i give them a ring again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi bloodyhawk
    Tony
    No, I haven't been given a ref number. All I was told was that basically they didn't know what was going on and couldn't do anything about it? What should I do? should i give them a ring again?

Hi bloodyhawk

Your case is much different to that of which Tony advised the process of, Tony advised of the steps to follow if your speeds are decreasing greatly and ping going over 100 where as you are experiencing decent ping and in some cases extraordinary ping. From what I have established you are seeking to have the best possible ping at all times however I'm sorry to confirm that eircom do not directly support ping as there are many factors beyond eircoms control which can affect this.

If you're getting ping times between 20 - 45ms and having problems playing games, this may be related to your game setup. Technical Support advise that they cannot be responsible for ping times to external web or games servers. A slow ping time on residential broadband is generally considered over 80ms.

If you feel you are getting slow speeds, test this first with one computer connected over Ethernet - www.eircom.net/speedtest

The following broadband check may also be helpful - http://bit.ly/BBChecks

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

I don't understand why the inp can't be set to zero for individual lines if they are stable enough and clearly in this case it was set to zero before reverting.

jimmad wrote: »
    I don't understand why the inp can't be set to zero for individual lines if they are stable enough and clearly in this case it was set to zero before reverting.
    So that's what it was.... I definitely agree with this post.  What exactly was the cause of it reverting i wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

Gaming is the biggest entertainment industry in the world. Eircom should be trying their upmost ton reduce ping times for gamers. With an industry this big already and its only going to get bigger in the future. Having the fastest speeds and best pings and upload speeds is what gamers will be looking for from their broadband provider.

Do Eircom or UPC really think ordinary people who browse the web need 50 or 70meg. The people who want does packages are likely to be gamers. If they don't buy themselves they're probably asking their mum and dad to get it.

The PC industry is only kicking and surviving because of gamers updating their computers to play games.

• Advertisement

Could Alan or Tony Please take my question regarding inp (impulse noise protection) to technical support or even better to a huawei rep. Thanks.

Could Alan or Tony Please take my question regarding inp (impulse noise protection) to technical support or even better to a huawei rep. Thanks.
    Hi jimmad
    We have sent this on as requested and will get back to you as soon as we have any update. Hope to have this next week.
    Tony

Hi jimmad
    We have sent this on as requested and will get back to you as soon as we have any update. Hope to have this next week.
    Tony
    I would also love to know the answer...

Hi Guys

Eircom do not change this variable for individual lines –
    INP is use to protect the data from crosstalk and external EMI interference
    While someone’s line might have excellent stats (Attenuation, SNR etc) it doesn’t mean everyone else on the same cab or cable have such a good line.
    If it is disabled for one line, it can cause problems for others.
    Tony

Hi Guys

While someone’s line might have excellent stats (Attenuation, SNR etc) it doesn’t mean everyone else on the same cab or cable have such a good line.
    Tony
    Hey Tonny, thank you for replaying. If it can cause problems by disabling it for one line then what exactly was the cause of my INP being set to 0 in the first place? I wasn't the only one by the way my neighbors had the same problem. also  Not to be disrespectful or anything, but then how about this guy who I quoted on 109th page. How do you explain this? Judging by his ping his INP is probably set to what I had before.  

Hi Guys

Tony
    Hey Tonny, thank you for replaying. If it can cause problems by disabling it for one line then what exactly was the cause of my INP being set to 0 in the first place? I wasn't the only one by the way my neighbors had the same problem. also  Not to be disrespectful or anything, but then how about this guy who I quoted on 109th page. How do you explain this? Judging by his ping his INP is probably set to what I had before.  
    I cant say I'm afraid bloodyhawk. PM me your tel no and I can see if there is any historical noted that can shed some light on this. I just know that in normal circumstances we do not change this setting.
    Tony

Alright tonny, will do. Thanks a million. :)

Thank you for following up Tony, that being said I find that rather disappointing.

Hey tony i am sorry for constantly bothering you, but i was just wondering if you found out anything?

Tony could you please find out what exactly caused the sudden drop in ping times on Tuesday February 2nd? 
    as shown here? lower_p.png i am with sam knows and thankfully i was able to capture it. Something to remember is that, i wasn't the only one, i think most of the eircom customers experienced it also.

could this have anything to do with it?
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-21/item/34216-difsept13/
    A key dimension of Eircom’s investment plan involves boosting international connectivity from 400Gbps to 5Tbps.

“That means a very low latency capability in the range of a 10 to 12 millisecond round trip.”

Advertisement