Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T20 WC 2014

Options
  • 20-02-2014 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭

Is this correct?

Ireland play Zim, UAE & Holland, and the winner of the group goes into

India
    Aus
    WI
    Pak
    Qual

After which there are 2 Semi Finals and a Final?

I reckon, if that is correct, then a placing Third in the second group would be an excellent performance.

You have to fancy Ireland to come through the first stage, and then at least beat Pakistan, and possibly the Windies, then take chances against either Aus or India.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Zimbabwe are a decent limited over side lets not forget. Ireland are better than the Netherlands but the RTD factor is massive. Speaking of he, will he playing in the qualifiers, has to surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

RTD and Cooper both left out of the dutch squad so they will he well below strength. However its T20 anything can happen and Zimbabwe are no walkover either. That said I think any Irish cricket fan would be dissapointed if we didnt make the group stage proper

people need to reign in their expectations a bit though. At least beat Pakistan and the Windies ..... the bandwagon is well and truely out of control.

Yes we have a chance we could go win 4 or 5 games in the WC we could easily win one. Lets not get ahead of ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Getting out of the first group will be a huge achievement in itself. Can't understand why they didnt let the top two out of each first round group qualify tbh. If for no other reason than to protect hosts Bangladesh and to a lesser extent Zimbabwe

D3PO wrote: »
    RTD and Cooper both left out of the dutch squad so they will he well below strength. However its T20 anything can happen and Zimbabwe are no walkover either. That said I think any Irish cricket fan would be dissapointed if we didnt make the group stage proper

people need to reign in their expectations a bit though. At least beat Pakistan and the Windies ..... the bandwagon is well and truely out of control.

Yes we have a chance we could go win 4 or 5 games in the WC we could easily win one. Lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Surprised no RTD or Cooper, but makes it an easier match.

Also agreed at least beat Pakistan who are one of the best 20/20 teams in the world,and who have won in the likes of South Africa just recently:eek::eek::eek:

On Bangladesh pitches which can be slow, we will really struggle with the likes of Ajmal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

We will struggle on slow pitches, our batting tends to be poor when there is no pace on the ball.
    T20 can be a lottery so qualification out of the qualifiers is what would be expected.
    Once that's done, anything can happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Renno

HonalD wrote: »
    We will struggle on slow pitches, our batting tends to be poor when there is no pace on the ball.
    T20 can be a lottery so qualification out of the qualifiers is what would be expected.
    Once that's done, anything can happen.

I really wouldn't agree with this any more. It definitely used to be the case, but the batting against spin in the last 18 months has been pretty decent. As always with so few examples of high quality spin to look at, but yesterday against Narine (and Samuels and Badree) was a pretty good demonstration of how to play top quality spin on a sluggish deck.

And in Clontarf last summer, Saeed Ajmal went for 71 (wicketless) off his 10. In fairness Tredwell took 2-35 in Malahide!

Renno wrote: »
    I really wouldn't agree with this any more. It definitely used to be the case, but the batting against spin in the last 18 months has been pretty decent.

We'll have to agree to disagree. We love pace onto the bat and on the sub-continent it's our Achilles heel......but the practice games in the WI will help a lot. :)

id agree with Honal. We are still poor on slow pitches. Not spin bowling as such where we have certianly improved massively but we still struggle batting on slow tracks especially when batting first.

we have yet to be convincing once this tour with the bat on slow tracks. Hopefully today is different.

Would help if Porterfield actually stopped putting pressure by getting out for next to nothing too !!

Renno wrote: »
    And in Clontarf last summer, Saeed Ajmal went for 71 (wicketless) off his 10. In fairness Tredwell took 2-35 in Malahide!

He will be a different beast on a slow pitch which Clontarf isn't especially in a World Cup game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

T20 can be a lottery.

Think that's about it - the pressure is so immediate and constant, as to distort the real nature of the game. Still at the end of the day, with luck on their side, the best teams seem to come through.

It would seem unwise to start counting one's chickens..

• Advertisement

BarryD wrote: »
    Still at the end of the day, with luck on their side, the best teams seem to come through.

Do you mean the teams that play best or the higher ranking teams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Do you mean the teams that play best or the higher ranking teams?

The teams with the most skilled players. Everyone's under the same pressure, chances are taken and mistakes made. With a bit of luck one way or another, a good team can be taken out by one which is less skilled but on the whole, given the balance of probability, the better shine through. The more games you play, the more chance of losing so in that sense I guess the ranking system benefits those who don't have to qualify.

TV driven cricket and not very satisfactory, imvho!

BarryD wrote: »
    The teams with the most skilled players. Everyone's under the same pressure, chances are taken and mistakes made. With a bit of luck one way or another, a good team can be taken out by one which is less skilled but on the whole, given the balance of probability, the better shine through. The more games you play, the more chance of losing so in that sense I guess the ranking system benefits those who don't have to qualify.

TV driven cricket and not very satisfactory, imvho!

Popcorn Cricket is what I call it. It mus be terrible to be the captain with 6s and 4s going everywhere and who next to bowl. Imagine Gayle at full throttle, Ireland wouldn't have a chance but it only takes 1 delivery to get him out and to change the "momentum" of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mjrc1

We'll have to agree to disagree. We love pace onto the bat and on the sub-continent it's our Achilles heel......but the practice games in the WI will help a lot. :)

We have chased the highest ever World Cup Total on a Sub-Continental pitch soooooooo wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mjrc1

There aren't many high class spinners in the qualifying group therefore I'd argue it shouldn't be too much trouble in getting into the main event. Form and Fitness of KOB and Stirling will be key as their destructive power, against the spin of Ajmal, Narine and the other high class operators in the main group, will be needed to see Ireland post/chase down large totals which are often seen on these small Sub-Continental postage stamps

mjrc1 wrote: »
    We have chased the highest ever World Cup Total on a Sub-Continental pitch soooooooo wrong?

I hit a 6 once, doesn't mean that i can do it again. ;)

I hit a 6 once, doesn't mean that i can do it again. ;)

you can. I hit a 6 once and managed to hit a second one ;) only took me 3 more seasons mind you :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Aim for the big field beside The Hills; nice short boundary :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭baboo800

Do we not go into the group with England, SA , SL and NZ ???

djimi wrote: »
    Aim for the big field beside The Hills; nice short boundary :pac:

or bash one straight in Kenure :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

You have to fancy Ireland to come through the first stage, and then at least beat Pakistan, and possibly the Windies, then take chances against either Aus or India.

That's a huge ask. Pak is one of the best limited over side and arguably the best bowling attack side.

If Windies batsman are on song then there isn't a hope for any Nation against them. After all they are T20 world champions isn't it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Hong Kong beat Zimbabwe in a warm up today, the Netherlands also lost and Ireland beat Nepal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Jonny_Darcy

Good warm up for Ireland , big day on Monday. I cant see anything but an Ireland win :)

Tough day for the bowlers today

Well beaten in the end chasing 180 to win ireland made 134-8

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Zimbabwe also bounced back well to chase ~170 against Afghanistan

We didn't perform on a spinners wicket, I still believe that it's our Achilles Heal. But roll on Monday.

Mitchell Johnson out of the tournament

Wicket first ball to kick things off...

• Advertisement

Handy win for Bangladesh. Should get out of the group no problem now

Advertisement