Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T20 WC 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Holy crap. Some turnaround. Not sure how low Ireland were in terms of odds but at one stage I looked and Ireland were 1/25 with Holland at 9/1. Must have been carnage on Betfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Dan man

TrueDub wrote: »
    Because ODIs are a different form of the game, and their results in that form simply haven't been good enough recently.

And because of the daft rule that associates have to maintain their standards while full members don't, they lose their status.

Yes I know that but still....seems incredible that they lost their ODI status judging from that performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Dan man wrote: »
    Yes I know that but still....seems incredible that they lost their ODI status judging from that performance.

The problem is the notion of needing to have "ODI status" to begin with. Such a nonsense system that we have in cricket; at ODI level especially everyone should be at the same status.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭wicorthered

Felt a result like this was coming. Team needs freshening up. Murtagh has never produced for Ireland today. His experience was badly needed in the PP carnage! Opening with 2 young spinners when the Dutch were obviously going to shoot from the hip a big mistake. Never going to recover after the PP. Glad the Dutch qualified after that, stunning hitting!

All that said, if Joyce had caught Cooper...........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Pighead wrote: »
    Holy crap. Some turnaround. Not sure how low Ireland were in terms of odds but at one stage I looked and Ireland were 1/25 with Holland at 9/1. Must have been carnage on Betfair.

Yep

€27m matched on betfair - Ireland were 1/20 there at one stage and the money piled onto them at that price- people then started scrambling to recover their losses

That 1/20 was for the match - I cannot begin to think what it was to qualify out of the group - probably about 1/75 I'd say

• Advertisement

All that said, if Joyce had caught Cooper...........

What was that at 107/3 or something? At that point the game was pretty much over anyway; the damage had been done to our bowling long before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

14.2 overs to beat the total? Relax people.

Please ban me for making statements like that in future... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Well holy flip. Pride cometh before the fall. I must say that result goes down like a s*** sandwich

Must be a universe balance thing that the Rugby and Cricket teams cant be successful in the same weeks....

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭wicorthered

djimi wrote: »
    What was that at 107/3 or something? At that point the game was pretty much over anyway; the damage had been done to our bowling long before that.

We were starting to get back in though. He went ballistic after that. 107/4 with Cooper gone, still needing 80 with not much batting coming in, I'd have been confident enough. They'd have still thrown the bat at everything and lesser players would have a better chance of getting out!

Myburgh set it up, Cooper finished it off.

It was like watching a slow motion car crash

• Advertisement

We were starting to get back in though. He went ballistic after that. 107/4 with Cooper gone, still needing 80 with not much batting coming in, I'd have been confident enough. They'd have still thrown the bat at everything and lesser players would have a better chance of getting out!

Myburgh set it up, Cooper finished it off.

You might be right, but the way our bowling had just been battered so hard, and the fact that we were bowling so poorly, I think they would have gone on to win the game even if Cooper had gone then. Perhaps just not in the 14 overs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

keps wrote: »
    It was like watching a slow motion car crash

there was nothing slow motion about making 190+ in less than 14 overs!

Winning the toss and putting Ireland in to bat was crucial.

Netherlands knew exactly what they had to do and as their Captain said 'had absolutely nothing to lose'.

keps wrote: »
    Winning the toss and putting Ireland in to bat was crucial.

Netherlands knew exactly what they had to do and as their Captain said 'had absolutely nothing to lose'.

Yeah I think we would have made a much better fist of chasing, and had they batted first Im not so sure they would have put up 250. Its a lot harder to have NRR on the mind when you are bowling second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

djimi wrote: »
    Yeah I think we would have made a much better fist of chasing, and had they batted first Im not so sure they would have put up 250. Its a lot harder to have NRR on the mind when you are bowling second.

Absolutely right. They knew they had 86 balls to get 190 runs. Simple equation really, and they tore into us, they had no choice. They could have been all out for 40 on another day with a task like that. Not to be. I hope they beat one of the fancied sides.

Bat like that again and theyll England a good game.

Im actually gutted that we cant have a crack at England at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Absolutely right. They knew they had 86 balls to get 190 runs. Simple equation really, and they tore into us, they had no choice. They could have been all out for 40 on another day with a task like that. Not to be. I hope they beat one of the fancied sides.

That's true but we should have been able to bowl with a bit more guile against the Dutch. If it had been the Aussies or SA's tearing our bowling apart, you'd accept it more readily.

There's only two real aspects to this T20 game - score as many runs as you can when you bat and stop the other team scoring when you field. Taking wickets is rather incidental - it happens and can slow the run rate but restricting the scoring is where it's at.

BarryD wrote: »
    That's true but we should have been able to bowl with a bit more guile against the Dutch. If it had been the Aussies or SA's tearing our bowling apart, you'd accept it more readily.

Mind you, a substantial portion of the Dutch team seems to hail from Aus, Nz, Pakistan etc!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

BarryD wrote: »
    Mind you, a substantial portion of the Dutch team seems to hail from Aus, Nz, Pakistan etc!!

No point in going down that road, most international teams have one or more players not born in that country, including Ireland.

We got caught in the perfect storm today - we batted well, but our bowling & fielding were poor (according to all accounts) and the Dutch simply used that to produce a stellar performance.

We can say "if this happened..." and "if that happened..." but what happened happened. Given the same circumstances I would bet that the Dutch would not be able pull it out of the bag like that a second time.

All that matters, though, is that they did it when it counted. Good luck to them, I'll be cheering for them in the main competition.

TrueDub wrote: »
    No point in going down that road, most international teams have one or more players not born in that country, including Ireland.

This may be true - but looking down the batting order of the Netherlands team today, I think you have to get to No10 before you find a Dutch born player... that's a touch excessive is it not?? Certainly a bit more than one or two!!

Australians and South Africans feature prominently...

Maybe in time, with all our lads and lassies going to Aus, we'll be able to fill up an international team... that's if we wanted to.

Still fair dues to The Netherlands and hope they can play way again, think their bowling is weak though?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

What a shambles but could be a very important kick up the backside. I know T20 is a bit of a gamble game but we were hammered.

Need to regroup and look forward to Sri Lanka games.

I'm gutted, all the fans are gutted but I'd imagine the team are hurting bad from this defeat. Nothing more to say I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Had the day to reflect and stew on the result. While it is hugely disappointing, thats the way the cookie crumbles, the nature of the short format is that crazy games are possible and mad things like this will happen. One can only hope that the team learn from it.

Fair fukks to the Dutch though, they went for it and got their just rewards. Its one of those situations where you need everything to go your way to get through and it did for them this time. However you know if you dont give it a go, and I'd wager a lot of other teams would have simply gone to try win the game and give up on qualifying. Gotta applaud their attitude and its great for the associates that they and not Zimbabwe got through

Finally, questions do have to be asked of the ICC and how they didnt let 2 teams from each 1st round group go through, they really have no genuine interest in promoting the associates

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Hard to take that getting absolutely demolished.

Think the result would have been very different had we bowled first.

Fair play to Holland though, that is some achievement regardless of how bad we are.

Very disappointed we won't get to give the big boys a go, think we could have picked up a W or two. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Just watched the highlights......Pathetic from Ireland's bowlers.....if you can't defend 190 in 14 overs against Netherlands you don't deserve to be in the World Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I didn't see the match after Ireland's Innings and was happy with the total, check cricinfo commentary and see 34/0 after 2 overs. Was sure it was a mistake, but oh no! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

booth70 wrote: »
    Just watched the highlights......Pathetic from Ireland's bowlers.....if you can't defend 190 in 14 overs against Netherlands you don't deserve to be in the World Cup

Yep, have to agree here, well done holland but the bowling was dismal,if we bowled like that against the likes of NZ, South Africa and Lanka we would have been slaughtered.

Nice start from India, spinners were good, but Pakistan batted 48 dot balls which has always been a problem for them.

India look strong but won't get to excited until they face a team with more batting power.

Delighted that India won but wouldn't read much into India's win today..... Pakistan were dismal.....and they always choke against India in a World Cup setting:)

India's big test will be against the Windies and the Aussies......having said that I'll be shocked if Australia qualify from this group with 3 players bordering on 40!!!!!:eek::eek:

India and West Indies to qualify from this group hopefully:):)

KevIRL wrote: »
    its great for the associates that they and not Zimbabwe got through

On this point, Im actually delighted that it was one of the associates that got through (even if it wasnt us!) rather than Zimbabwe. Not that I have anything against Zimbabwe per se, but this tournament has outlined how ridiculous it is that they have full test status when they showed nothing to suggest that they are any better than ourselves and even Holland. Same with Hong Kong beating Bangladesh yesterday.

They pitted the bottom two test nations against the six best associates in the T20 format, and the associates came out on top I feel. Time to take a look at the order of things, not that I will be holding my breath...!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

booth70 wrote: »
    Delighted that India won but wouldn't read much into India's win today..... Pakistan were dismal.....and they always choke against India in a World Cup setting:)

India's big test will be against the Windies and the Aussies......having said that I'll be shocked if Australia qualify from this group with 3 players bordering on 40!!!!!:eek::eek:

Australia's top seven

Warner Finch Watson Bailey Maxwell hodge, haddin

with White in the wings

If they get a flat pitch, like the one we had in the Ireland game, they will be nearly impossible to stop.

• Advertisement

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Australia's top seven

Warner Finch Watson Bailey Maxwell hodge, haddin

with White in the wings

If they get a flat pitch, like the one we had in the Ireland game, they will be nearly impossible to stop.

Good top seven but unlikely to be consistent enough to be champions.....Their bowling in the absence of Johnson is going to be belted around the park and if they are relying on Hogg as their spin option then God help them;)

Here's my two cents.....India and the West Indies from this group ...... SA will flatter to deceive as usual on the subcontinent so going to go for SL and NZ from the other

Advertisement