Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T20 WC 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

What's going on?!

NZ 23/4(5)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

If it keeps going this way it might become an even better day for the Dutch if the NZers can set a new record low score

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

33/6 or 7 - collapse! Seamers earlier, spinners now..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why would one player not bat?

He had to go to hospital for a finger X-ray, while sometimes guys do bat with injuries if its to save the end of a test match he wouldnt be much good in a 20/20

Edit: actually he dislocated his finger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Why would one player not bat?
    Gone to hospital, dislocated finger
    Replacements not allowed

As clueless as they were against spin that was diabolical stuff from NZ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

There have been some fairly atrocious batting displays by a number of teams this tournament. Not many decent, close games as a result. Shame for the fans who have gone to see games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

pajor wrote: »
    A tweet highlighted the other day on cricinfo, said that besides from the disaster against SL, NL have been far more competitive than Bangladesh. Have to agree.

Quoted this yesterday but after today, even more apt.

Enjoy the celebrations, bar Lanka ye have been good and probably the most entertaining team of the competition. :)

England have been dire. hales had a super knock but is one out of four a good enough return? Few others however did not even have one quality performance, Ali is not a 20/20 player yet at least, Morgan has regressed while Buttler may have all the hype he has failed more often than not.

Parry has underwhelmed me but not as if they had another spinner with world cup experience from Notts to chose from? :pac:Poor Samit.

Bowlers? Dernbach? No just no.

Bresnan is probably knackered but contributed **** all, and Broad hiding in the final overs when captain and surrounded by rubbish was disgraceful. Those who wanted him test captain:rolleyes:

Superb article here btw

http://www.themiddlestump.co.uk/2014/03/the-winter-of-discontent.html?m=1

The Winter of Discontent
    This winter has been an absolute disgrace. It started with poor selection, culminated in our best batsman being ostracised from the set up, our captain looking hopeless, our next best bat suffering burn out. If that wasn't enough on the tour to Australia, our spinner did a John Darwin in the country which is home to Darwin, we have ruined the career of our young pace hope, and lost our coach. We have been smashed in three continents, out bowled, out fielded and out batted in every series, with our coaching looking prehistoric. Today it has culminated in defeat to the Dutch, a team who recently lost one day international status for not winning enough games. I, and many of our followers on Twitter are fuming, and rightly so.

It starts with the ECB. This fine institution who have in their infinite wisdom sold the family jewels otherwise known as the game of cricket. Stolen from the common man to those who own Sky, alienating the majority of future generations, the ECB have ****ed up yet again. County cricket is now rarely played on a Saturday, stopping the casual dad from taking his son to a fixture. Still don't worry; it's all for the good of the national team isn't it?

Then again, this is the organisation who have crammed so much of the season in that their players now suffer from burn out. This is the organisation who have moved much of the county season into early April, nullifying the decent spinners and then we wonder why there is no one coming through the system. This is the organisation who put money before the game, and this is the organisation who have to take the blame for the complete shambles that has taken place in this winter of discontent.

They are charging £75 for a ticket to Lord's for Sri Lanka this year. Loyal souls such as myself will pay it, along with their £4.70 a pint and £10 for a burger and chips. I can see it being half full, as already there are many tickets doing the rounds on Twitter or ebay. The public are starting to turn their backs.

Why should they turn up? Removing Pietersen was symbolic of their ideology. Piers Morgan was pilloried on Twitter recently for his pro KP stance, but he was right. Anyone with a modicum of flair, gets stifled and removed on the basis of being a maverick.

No doubt the safe bet of Ashley Giles will get the gig as England coach soon, instead of someone who might ruffle a few feathers which is exactly what the game needs. Ash claims he isn't a man who shies away from tough decisions, so let him prove it by not putting his name forward.

Another thing that pisses me off in this hideous winter is the attitude of the players. In a similar way to the England rugby team a couple of years ago after the World Cup, this national side is aloof and out of touch with their fans. They need a Stuart Lancaster type to teach them humility and have pride in playing for the national side.

Get them back on board and show the public that they care. The cognoscenti dislike quite a few members of our own national team and that is an awful situation to be in. Dernbach and Bresnan keep getting played no matter what they do, and the hatred towards them on social media is an embarrassment to the ECB. Every press conference is awash with media speak and the usual bull**** of "taking the positives out of defeat".

The talk of being "disappointed" is of scant consolation to those who spent seven or eight grand traipsing around Australia in considerable numbers. The public are completely out of touch with this team. The team look scared whether it is the batting ****ting their pants from pace down under, or the T20 side not wanting to take risks by hitting boundaries, or fielders scared to go for catches, the lack of confidence is abysmal, despite the spin of press conferences. If it was about talk England would be world champions, and I am fed up with the lack of walking the walk.

Today was just another defeat. To be honest I expected it even though it was the Dutch. Yes, that mighty cricket nation. Never mind Dutch Ovens, I'd have preferred it if the ECB committee's parents had used a French Letter. Someone needs to pull their finger out, because the place is awash with failure.

The fielding, the batting, the bowling, the selection, the lack of confidence has all gone beyond a joke and the ECB have to sort it out and quickly. Get the fans back on board would be a start and sort out these over paid prima donnas who have ruined our winter. Make them have pride in wearing the three lions, as they certainly do not have it at present. I seriously fear for the future.

I most definitely, am not taking any positives out of yet another defeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Enjoy the celebrations, bar Lanka ye have been good and probably the most entertaining team of the competition. :)

Dank je wel. Maar ik ben niet Nederlands, ik ben Iers. :D Maar mijn vriendin is Nederlands.

I'd say I know more than Dirk Nannes anyway. :pac:

• Advertisement

Amazing herath, although poor from Baz and some silly running.

The Dutch team used to have a much higher amount of Dutch born players, but a lot of them seemed to have retired/pushed out in the last few years. Borren and Bukhari have been with the NL for years now so I wouldnt mind them so much, but the trend isn't good.

Does anyone here more knowledgable than I, know what are the selection criteria for associate cricket countries? Is there a 'grandparent' type rule and/or can you import a set number of non nationals into your team?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

BarryD wrote: »
    Does anyone here more knowledgable than I, know what are the selection criteria for associate cricket countries? Is there a 'grandparent' type rule and/or can you import a set number of non nationals into your team?

Everything's based around residency, as far as I'm aware. The standard term is 4 years, with a minimum number of days actually in the country in those years. This applies to all countries.

I believe that players originally from an associate country, who have played for a test-playing nation, need only wait two years to re-qualify for that country - the most obvious example of this is Ed Joyce, although I believe he re-qualified before this rule.

There are no quotas or set numbers, and the same rules apply to all countries, but in practice it matters more to the Associates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

Don't know the criteria but as far as I know it has mainly to do with residence. If a player is resident in a country for, I think, at least 2 years he can qualify to play for that country. This applies to both the elite and associates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Its something like if youre living in the country for at least 260 days of four consecutive years or something to that effect isnt it?

I thought that parentage could qualify you for a country also (like in football), but from looking up Tim Murtagh it seems that he applied for Irish citizenship in 2012, so Im not sure if thats the only way that you can qualify other than residency.

TrueDub wrote: »
    Everything's based around residency, as far as I'm aware. The standard term is 4 years, with a minimum number of days actually in the country in those years. This applies to all countries.

Sounds a bit like the rules for 'tax exiles'! :)

Seriously though, you'd think the associate countries will be looking closely at the Netherlands team in this years T20 to see what improvements they can make to their own national teams.

You'd have to think that the implications of this mightn't be great for the development of domestic cricket in these countries. Money is the key to lots of things in sport nowadays and with a bit of backing, a country could attract a good number of decent overseas players, the type that never quite made their national team or have retired from it. From Aus, SA, India etc.

This might help raise the profile of the game in these countries and help recruit local players but it could also completely distort the concept of a national team representing a country. It might also create a barrier between the domestic game and the international, rather like the situation with soccer here, League of Ireland etc.

Why is Daniel Christian playing international cricket still?:confused:

Why on earth in Bangladesh after the success of spinners and especially after yesterday when all spinners ran riot especially herath have they dropped a promising young spinner in a dead rubber?:confused:

he needs games on these conditions and they need to develop a limited over spinner rather than loading up on pace bowlers.

Odd decision.

Sounds a bit like the rules for 'tax exiles'! :)

Seriously though, you'd think the associate countries will be looking closely at the Netherlands team in this years T20 to see what improvements they can make to their own national teams.

You'd have to think that the implications of this mightn't be great for the development of domestic cricket in these countries. Money is the key to lots of things in sport nowadays and with a bit of backing, a country could attract a good number of decent overseas players, the type that never quite made their national team or have retired from it. From Aus, SA, India etc.

This might help raise the profile of the game in these countries and help recruit local players but it could also completely distort the concept of a national team representing a country. It might also create a barrier between the domestic game and the international, rather like the situation with soccer here, League of Ireland etc.
    Well the good news here is that most of the associates don't have any money ;) Ireland and Netherlands only had enough money to offer contracts within the last few years.

Previously anyway as far as I know, it was more the case of these guys were living in the associate country to work a normal job and played cricket on the side (an article yesterday mentioned that Bukhari worked in an airport McDonalds before the dutch cricket team could afford to offer him a contract). Maybe it would be possible nowadays to hire actual 'mercenaries', but that could backfire on you too as if the player does too well he can just leave to go back to play for his own country like Nannes did, meaning you will have to hire/find a replacement, which will just leave you dependent. Also the Irish experience with hired players for the old english domestic 40 over tournament was not good.

Well the good news here is that most of the associates don't have any money ;) Ireland and Netherlands only had enough money to offer contracts within the last few years.

Yes point taken. There is a bit of a chicken & egg thing about the money though as far as I can see. In that if a country can get full full member status, a lot more cash would come their way. So how, do you get full member status - well results will help and how do you get results.. perhaps by funding better players.

Yes point taken. There is a bit of a chicken & egg thing about the money though as far as I can see. In that if a country can get full full member status, a lot more cash would come their way. So how, do you get full member status - well results will help and how do you get results.. perhaps by funding better players.
    Yeah it's a terrible situation where funding depends on results so you need to field the best players possible, who frequently aren't homegrown. This year there you had the whole Gruijthers/Cooper controversy. dropping and potentially losing forever a young homegrown player to bring in an Australian, who does a very good job for the team.

The worst part of the whole process though isn't that money is incredibly scarce, instead huge amounts are being thrown into the zimbabwean black hole and at Bangladesh who have shown almost no improvement from when they first got full member status

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

You've got to love the Windies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

Darren Sammy, the ultimate risk taker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

West Indies really have the perfect set up for this format, the two top ranked T20 bowlers, depth of big hitting batters with high strike rates (even without Pollard) and lightning in the field.

Pray for the remaining sides if Gayle hits form.

Just one more now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,147 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

maybe its just coincidence but since they have started using dew suppressor:
    Pak out for 82
    NZ out for 60
    Aus out for 86

All 3 teams batting 2nd in the 2nd game. Just coincidence or is there something to it?

From a McCullum interview: However, a dew suppressant chemical applied to the surface kept conditions dry throughout, allowing the Sri Lankan spin attack - led by five-wicket hero Rangana Herath - to gain considerable late purchase.

"The wicket was completely different. We anticipated it to skid on as it has done right through every game that has been played here," McCullum said.

"But it was really dry, it was almost under-prepared a little bit, the way it played at the end. It's disappointing to see it change so much in one game but we should have been better than that as well."

McCullum said he may have made a different call at the toss if he was aware of the ground staff's actions.

http://www.cricket.com.au/news-list/2014/4/1/mccullum-questions-chittagong-world-t20-wicket

booth70 wrote: »
    Here's my two cents.....India and the West Indies from this group ...... SA will flatter to deceive as usual on the subcontinent so going to go for SL and NZ from the other

3 out of 4 not bad methinks:D

Here's my next two cents....

India to beat SA ....and WI to beat SL to set up a Ind v West Indies final with India to win it.....hopefully I won't wake up from my dream:):)

2 great semifinals to look forward to......Kohli v AB in one and Badree and Narine against Herath and Malinga in the other....Hopefully we'll have some exciting cricket

I suggest an accumulator. :D

maybe its just coincidence but since they have started using dew suppressor:
    Pak out for 82
    NZ out for 60
    Aus out for 86

All 3 teams batting 2nd in the 2nd game. Just coincidence or is there something to it?

From a McCullum interview: However, a dew suppressant chemical applied to the surface kept conditions dry throughout, allowing the Sri Lankan spin attack - led by five-wicket hero Rangana Herath - to gain considerable late purchase.

"The wicket was completely different. We anticipated it to skid on as it has done right through every game that has been played here," McCullum said.

"But it was really dry, it was almost under-prepared a little bit, the way it played at the end. It's disappointing to see it change so much in one game but we should have been better than that as well."

McCullum said he may have made a different call at the toss if he was aware of the ground staff's actions.

http://www.cricket.com.au/news-list/2014/4/1/mccullum-questions-chittagong-world-t20-wicket

The fact that all 3 teams played spin like headless chickens might have something to do with it rather than the dew suppressor;)

That has got to be it for Kamran and Malik, pair of absolute wasters.

Amusing for a SC team and with such a history of producing players who play spin masterfully, how clueless the current generation are against it, bar Misbah, but he is not suitable for International t20 supposedly.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Startling statistic......didn't realise that SA have never won a knockout match at an ICC World Cup 20 or 50 over variety

http://www.espncricinfo.com/world-t20/content/story/729017.html

With the old baggage of Smith and Kallis gone could this be the year they finally break their duck I wonder

If it wasn't India they were playing I'd be rooting for them:pac: but not going to cry either if they do get to the final and win the damn thing:)

Advertisement