Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options for LSR's

Options
  • 20-02-2014 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Has anyone used the Jeff Galloway run / walk strategy for their LSR's other than complete beginners?

I'm interested as John Newsom from imtalk intends to use it for IMNZ and he would be a high level amateur (ex pro) rather than a beginner.

The reason I'm asking is that I really struggle with my LSR's. I'm quite happy to do hard interval sessions and have often done these to a total of 25/26 kms but a straightforward LSR just kills me. It's the constant pace, regardless of how slow that just doesn't seem to agree with me, and I also find them mentally challenging. With interval sessions, I'm constantly changing pace and I never get a chance to get bored and the sessions are over before I know it and I've put plenty of kms into the legs. Races are not a problem as I have something to concentrate on and can gradually pick off guys ahead of me.

My weekly run plan at present is this:

One long tempo session eg 4,3,2,1 kms at HM pace, total 15-18 kms
    One speed session eg 12 x 90 secs @ 5k pace, total 12-13 kms
    One short run off the bike, total 5-6 kms
    One LSR, total 22 - 26 kms

I also do 5+ hours on the bike a week. 2 x turbo and one long ride.

I'm not training for a triathlon but rather Duathlons, some AR's, HM's and multi-day running races. My long term target race would be a long Duathlon such as Powerman.

Or, what about changing my sessions around to a LR with some HM intervals included just to break the monotony and then an easy 15-18 km run to replace the Tempo session.

Just as a bit of background, I'm no speed merchant but not a complete beginner either. Running over two years now, 2000+ kms last year. HM 1:37:xx, 10k 44:xx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

pointer28 wrote: »
    It's the constant pace, regardless of how slow that just doesn't seem to agree with me

Run some LSRs with marathon pace or half marathon pace intervals, or as a progression run - PMP+10%, PMP+5%, PMP.
    The following week you might be glad of a constant pace run :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

RayCun wrote: »
    Run some LSRs with marathon pace or half marathon pace intervals, or as a progression run - PMP+10%, PMP+5%, PMP.
    The following week you might be glad of a constant pace run :)

So, the second option.

What about the walk intervals? While I love what they're saying about reduced fatigue, reduced injury yet the same benefits, one side of me thinks it sounds just to good to be true.

I can't find much info on it from more serious runners other than the "it helped me set my new marathon PB of 5:12".

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

So, the second option.

What about the walk intervals? While I love what they're saying about reduced fatigue, reduced injury yet the same benefits, one side of me thinks it sounds just to good to be true.

I can't find much info on it from more serious runners other than the "it helped me set my new marathon PB of 5:12".
    I've only read a few divisive threads on it in AR, and it seems for everyone who likes that strategy, there are a half a dozen who think it is crazy. For me, run/walk does not work. It wrecks my rhythm, and I find that once I begin walking, I can tend to stiffen up and feel pain I don't otherwise notice if I stay running.

What is your pacing for your bad LSR's? What are your intervals when you do it that way? And what is MP?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

So, the second option.

I like run walk, I get all my guys to do it. It works.

19:30 on 30sec brisk walk.

Oryx wrote: »
    I've only read a few divisive threads on it in AR, and it seems for everyone who likes that strategy, there are a half a dozen who think it is crazy. For me, run/walk does not work. It wrecks my rhythm, and I find that once I begin walking, I can tend to stiffen up and feel pain I don't otherwise notice if I stay running.

What is your pacing for your bad LSR's? What are your intervals when you do it that way? And what is MP?

For the LSR's I'm just running them at a really slow pace that I could easily converse at, usually 5:40 - 6:00 min/km depending on conditions. I concentrate on keeping the effort really easy rather than watching the pace.

For the HM intervals I do them at 4:20 - 4:25 min/km pace. I love these.

I have never done a marathon but I'm thinking 3:30 so that would be 4:58 min/km.

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    I like run walk, I get all my guys to do it. It works.

19:30 on 30sec brisk walk.

Would they continue this strategy on race day or just for training?

Would they continue this strategy on race day or just for training?

For IM racing of course.

For marathons up to and including sub three attempts I would push for it. Those going 2:3x - debatable benefits there.

For IM racing of course.

For marathons up to and including sub three attempts I would push for it. Those going 2:3x - debatable benefits there.

But of course don't let me lead you astray. As we have learnt its all about the swim. Even when racing a marathon its all about the swim. Some good group sessions will bring your swimming on which will of course, with the valid linear extrapolation of gains from 25m to 1500m, improve your marathon times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

But of course don't let me lead you astray. As we have learnt its all about the swim. Even when racing a marathon its all about the swim. Some good group sessions will bring your swimming on which will of course, with the valid linear extrapolation of gains from 25m to 1500m, improve your marathon times.

Hang on hang on....

As per the FTP thread I thought it was all about the bike...?

If you want to run faster, bike more. ;)

I personally have been trialling a fused version of biking more on the turbo whilst practising a high elbow catch thus I am biking and swimming more therefore must be running faster.... right? :D

I just have one question,

If I need to run to be a faster runner, should I incorporate a high elbow catch to maximise my progress??

You're both wrong!

Crossfit is the answer to every question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

[COLOR="Magenta[COLOR="Magenta"]"]since you run like a girl it might help ;-)[/COLOR] ;-)[/COLOR]
    Fazz wrote: »
    Hang on hang on....

As per the FTP thread I thought it was all about the bike...?

If you want to run faster, bike more. ;)

I personally have been trialling a fused version of biking more on the turbo whilst practising a high elbow catch thus I am biking and swimming more therefore must be running faster.... right? :D

I just have one question,

If I need to run to be a faster runner, should I incorporate a high elbow catch to maximise my progress??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Oryx wrote: »

Horses for courses, but it certainly has been used to win Ironman races so it can work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

peter kern wrote: »
    [COLOR="Magenta[COLOR="Magenta"]"]since you run like a girl it might help ;-)[/COLOR] ;-)[/COLOR]

Note to self....

Must beat all of the PB3 athletes this season especially on the run....

:):p

Fazz wrote: »
    Note to self....

Must beat all of the PB3 athletes this season especially on the run....

:):p

Don't seem to remember you getting chicked much last year?

Advertisement