Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling training programmes (Heart rate zone)

Options
  • 20-02-2014 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

Does anyone know any standard cycling training programmes focusing mainly on Oly distance using heart rate zones ?

I get my cycling done but not with enough purpose/effectiveness. I dont have, and wont be getting, a power meter, so want to train smarter using heart rate zones. has anyone got any generic training programmes (links to websites) that can be used (albeit slightly tweeking it based on my HR)

Cheers

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I have Friel's book 'your best triathlon'. It give pretty generic training plans for all distances of races, using hr zones, and sessions that work on particular areas (power, speed skills, aerobic etc). However, in the usual Friel style, a lot of the nitty gritty of the program is decided by you, as in you design each session based on his outlines, and he also gives loose time targets, max and minimums, so the time input is personal too. Great if youre an organised person, not so great if you just want to be told what to do.

And the problem with standard training programs is that it wont tackle your particular limiters. So you would do well to know what these are, and to adapt any program you do based on where you need to focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

http://www.polar.com/en/training_with_polar/training_plans#plan_63553

6 week training plan fully HR focussed. Tweak it to suit yourself as you go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Have you a Garmin speed and cadence sensor and an ant+ stick or would you be willing to invest in them? Might cost 70 - 80 euro all in.

If so, check out www.trainerroad.com Myself and some others here use it a lot and it has loads of training plans based on "virtual power", imperfect but doesn't cost a fortune. I also find it a great motivator to get me on the turbo and keeps me honest when I start to get tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

AKW wrote: »
    http://www.polar.com/en/training_with_polar/training_plans#plan_63553

6 week training plan fully HR focussed. Tweak it to suit yourself as you go along.

AWESOME !!!
    Times look a bit long, but can adjust obviously

cheers
    pointer28 wrote: »
    Have you a Garmin speed and cadence sensor and an ant+ stick or would you be willing to invest in them? Might cost 70 - 80 euro all in.

If so, check out www.trainerroad.com Myself and some others here use it a lot and it has loads of training plans based on "virtual power", imperfect but doesn't cost a fortune. I also find it a great motivator to get me on the turbo and keeps me honest when I start to get tired.

just have the Garmin 910xt.

[QUOTE=miller82;89098576}
    just have the Garmin 910xt.[/QUOTE]

Does that not have the ant+ stick?

I think you can use TR with heart rate only but speed & candence as well is even better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

pointer28 wrote: »
    Does that not have the ant+ stick?

I think you can use TR with heart rate only but speed & candence as well is even better.

eerrr, yeah i think so :p
    will look in to it more

Don't worry, I'm not on commission (even if it does look like that).

Advertisement