Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sponsorship to PR (long post)

Options
  • 20-02-2014 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

Can someone please clear up a few questions I have please!

I'll start off with some info about me...

I'm here in Syd about 6 weeks on the WHV and my plan was to apply for the 189 skilled visa in a few months time as my job is on the list.

But to apply for the skilled visa I have to have worked 12 months out the last 36 in paid employment to get my skill recognised by TRA (I only have about 5/6 months because although I was working at home a lot of it was for myself and others not on the books, so it doesn't count)

I have over 12 years experience in my trade..

So my plan was to work away over here an make up the remaining months and then apply for the 189..

But I'm after landing a really great job with a awesome employer and on the whv I'll have to leave him after 6 months..

But if he was to sponsor me now i wouldn't have to leave him (he has already suggested it to me, if he can, as he is unsure to whats involved because he has never done it before either)

If I was to get sponsored by him whats involved with moving over to PR at a later stage?

Just I was in a taxi on the way home the other night and was talking to the cabbie about it and I was explaining how I needed Ielts 8 to make up the points and he was saying that getting PR after sponsorship was much easier!

I understand exactly how the 189 works but if someone could please explain this for me it would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

the 189 application will be more or less the same regardless of you being on a 417 or 457.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

You could do 2 years on a 457 and then apply for ENS, you won't need a skills assessment or IELTS to get PR.

457 is a load of crap but it's a useful route if you are stuck for skills assessment or short of points.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

mandrake04 wrote: »
    You could do 2 years on a 457 and then apply for ENS, you won't need a skills assessment or IELTS to get PR.

457 is a load of crap but it's a useful route if you are stuck for skills assessment or short of points.

I know :(

But I'm cutting it fine as it is on points and thats only if I score a band of 8..

The thing is I really like the job I'm in and don't want to give it up to go work for somebody else while i make up the rest of the time.

If I didn't have the 6 month problem I would just work for him and keep trying until I scored 8....

It seems a waste to me to get sponsorship to get over the 6 month problem and then a few months later apply for a skilled visa...

I think it would cost me more in the long run and as things are I could easily see myself working for this guy long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

Also you will need 5 years relevant work experience out of the last 10 for the 189 as well as your 12 months from the last 36.

I have a mate who has 8 years experience in total but not 5 from the last 10 due to some of the year's working off the books.

8 in ielts would be tough alright cause you end up the lowest score of the 4 sections.

I got a 7 overall even though I had 3 9s and a 7.

best of luck with whatever you decide.

bigbadcon wrote: »
    Also you will need 5 years relevant work experience out of the last 10 for the 189 as well as your 12 months from the last 36.

I have a mate who has 8 years experience in total but not 5 from the last 10 due to some of the year's working off the books.

8 in ielts would be tough alright cause you end up the lowest score of the 4 sections.

I got a 7 overall even though I had 3 9s and a 7.

best of luck with whatever you decide.

I think you only need 3 out of the ten years for 5 points!

I started my trade is 2002 but they don't count apprentice years but i was working full-time up to late 2009 until the chit hit the fan..

But I can still easily make up a year or so after that on the books.

But Im still just scraping the 60 points I reckon.

• Advertisement

From talking to my boss the last couple of days he doesn't want me to leave either so he's happy rot sponsor me.. ( I can always apply for 189 is a few months time)

Problem is he doesn't know anything about it either because he has never sponsored someone before, would we be best off getting a agent involved or is something you could do yourself?

Advertisement