Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to expect after my first Yoga class?

• 20-02-2014 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Hello, i started a Yoga class for beginners this week and have paid for the whole course. I have never done it before and did my research before hand about what to expect etc, but can anyone tell me is my back (with which i have had no problems with at all) supposed to be so sore in particular my upper back?

I slept terribly the night of my class and woke up yesterday morning with my upper back absolutley aching like hell, and it still is again today. Have i done something wrong myself, i really dont want to not go to the classes and i am kind of hoping someone will tell me that this is normal! My exercise level before this was normal, i walk everywhere and my job involves a lot of walking etc.

Any advise would be appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Is your upper back sore as in "I injured myself" or "I experience muscle soreness and tension"? It's not unusual for yoga to "wake up" our upper body which is often lacking strength and flexibility (especially if you have a desk job). If any of these two is lacking you may experience tension as you're trying to compensate during the class. You may also compromise your upper back if you put too much effort into backbend poses, even basic ones such as cobra.

What you're experiencing is not the desired effect of yoga of course, but it's not unusual when you start out as it's not easy to apply the instruction perfectly and to know your body's limits in your initial classes. It should be perfectly OK to bring it up before your next class - the teacher can then advise on how to modify your session so that your upper back is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

Ah thank you, its more the soreness and tension than an actual injury, i just couldnt figure out why my upper back would be sore! Thanks for your input and i will def let my teacher know before next class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭bonzo_k

I think you may be experiencing DOMS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness

Its to be expected when starting a new form of exercise or resuming exercise after taking time off. It usually goes in a few days but it can be very unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

Am actually embarrassed for myself, considering the industry that i work in and i did not recognise that! A hot bath so for me after my next class, Thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭purethick

It's quite common to find that the second day is worse (with DOMS). If you think it's swelling related (i.e. not DOMS) then ibuprofen is a good bet. Or if it's just DOMS then magnesium can help.

Make sure you inform your instructor before the next class though so they can keep a close eye on you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭bonzo_k

purethick wrote: »
    It's quite common to find that the second day is worse (with DOMS). If you think it's swelling related (i.e. not DOMS) then ibuprofen is a good bet. Or if it's just DOMS then magnesium can help.

Make sure you inform your instructor before the next class though so they can keep a close eye on you

Definitely 2nd day can be horrible ! Many times have I waddled up the stairs in work as if I have no knee joints :)

Gentle stretching can alleviate it although it can be hard to get back on the mat until the pain has subsided

Advertisement