Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swords Garda Station Parking

Options
  • 20-02-2014 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭

Just got off the phone to the mother.
    She's like a woman possessed at the moment. Said she saw a woman with a buggy forced onto the road down beside the Swords Garda Station last night.
    Said that there were a row of cars parked up onto the footpath beside the station opposite Wrights and Apache.
    When she called the station they said they'd send a car around............... the corner.
    This merely fuelled the fire.
    Anybody else witnessing this? Seems a bit mad that the bollards in situ on that pavement are there to protect the building when they could easily be duplicated and placed on the kerbside too !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

MugMugs wrote: »
    ....When she called the station they said they'd send a car around............... the corner...
    A call would be radioed to the cars out on patrol. They don't mean that a car would be dispatched from the station just to go around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

A call would be radioed to the cars out on patrol. They don't mean that a car would be dispatched from the station just to go around the corner.
    Of which I am aware however the comment merely served to royle her a bit more.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

<<<=== After Hours

Call Joe===>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Saw the same thing happen on Townsend st at the back of Pearse st Garda station
    I popped into the back door to Punch and John just parking their bikes and politely asked them to send the word up to not block the path, as the street is about 40' wide there
    And to be fair the path was rarely if ever blocked after that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

I like the reference! but its Ponch! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Thanks.

chips themesong stuck in my head all day now.

Saw the same thing happen on Townsend st at the back of Pearse st Garda station
    I popped into the back door to Punch and John just parking their bikes and politely asked them to send the word up to not block the path, as the street is about 40' wide there
    And to be fair the path was rarely if ever blocked after that

It's unfortunate but I continue to witness the issue. Again last night pedestrians forced onto the road.

If you look here you will see that a car on that path blocks the path in it's entireity. The lanes are relatively small as is (perfectly portrayed by the bus)

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

It's unfortunate but I continue to witness the issue. Again last night pedestrians forced onto the road.

If you look here you will see that a car on that path blocks the path in it's entireity. The lanes are relatively small as is (perfectly portrayed by the bus)

Looks like those bollards that are protecting the wall need to be placed out nearer the kerb. If there is no willingness to deal with illegal parking then the only solution left is to try and physically prevent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TheHappyChappy

Lucky they answered the phone

Given up trying to call

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

They were to move the station but I suppose that like lots of other projects it was shelved due to the recession. It must be a nightmare for them trying to get out of there in heavy traffic when there's an emergency.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I agree they are very hard to get on the phone.

I rang one night about some dodgy behaviour near my place...they never answered it. - Rang out twice before I gave up.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭SwdDub

They are brutal to get. Sure someone could have been murdering the head off you pinky.

Police that don't answer the phone. Brilliant!

They were to move the station but I suppose that like lots of other projects it was shelved due to the recession. It must be a nightmare for them trying to get out of there in heavy traffic when there's an emergency.

Really? It's a central location. Where were they to move to?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Really? It's a central location. Where were they to move to?

There was talk of them moving to Airside at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...... It must be a nightmare for them trying to get out of there in heavy traffic when there's an emergency.
    An emergency would be responded to by Gardai already out on patrol. Calls are prioritised in order of urgency by the dispatcher - less urgent calls are continually relegated when more important ones arise. There is a constant list of calls to be attended to and Gardai wouldn't ever be in a situation where they were sitting in the station waiting for a call to come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TheHappyChappy

An emergency would be responded to by Gardai already out on patrol. Calls are prioritised in order of urgency by the dispatcher - less urgent calls are continually relegated when more important ones arise. There is a constant list of calls to be attended to and Gardai wouldn't ever be in a situation where they were sitting in the station waiting for a call to come in.

Really.......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

But an emergency call would be on 112 / 999, not to a station ( or should be)

I was told by a cop I'd spoken to regarding livestock on a motorway, that you should always ring 112/999 if there's anything urgent or dangerous, not just actual immediate emergencies, as the dispatcher will do the prioritising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

Cars parking there is a regular occurrence, usually pizza delivery guys.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Driving down there at night is a nightmare, a full line of Taxis sit there waiting for trade from Wrights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

There was talk of them moving to Airside at one point.
    Closer to McDonald's.

• Advertisement
Advertisement