Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really? Another Coffee shop?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

miamee wrote: »
    Don't forget the one on Chatham street as well!

And the one that's going to open in the old Anglo office on Stephens Green!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Dublin Easter 2016
    All is changed
    Changed utterly

starbucks_escher-767149.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

quaalude wrote: »
    I do sometimes take a walk to Kiosk alright - followed by a stroll round Herbert Park. Breaks up the day :)

I passed by the old Bean Scene place today - the new café is open (but I've forgotten what it's called). Will get coffee there this week and report back to thread!

Had a takeaway Americano from High Nelly's the other day.
    It was the usual cup of scaldy hot brown water, same as all the other places around here. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Aard wrote: »
    And the one that's going to open in the old Anglo office on Stephens Green!

now open as is the Cafe Nero

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭kinsy

Had a takeaway Americano from High Nelly's the other day.
    It was the usual cup of scaldy hot brown water, same as all the other places around here. Shame.

What about that Coffee 2 Go place on Mespil Road? I haven't actually had a coffee from there but I've heard it is very nice. Only across the road from High Nelly's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I suppose it was only a matter of time before the green mermaid swept in to conquer Ireland.

I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner, especially in high-footfall locations such as O'Connell Street. That 'Friends' pish has a lot to answer for.

Interesting that Caffe Nero are also muscling in. People talk a lot about being 'Starbucked', but Nero's are fecking everywhere too (in the UK at least). Their coffee is better, though, as far as my taste buds are concerned.

I'd love an Insomnia expansion - at least to Belfast anyway. Love a good jolt of Insomnia!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

I watched a show on BBC2 last night - Coffee Shop Hotshots:Business Boomers.

In a nutshell, they went through the rise of the coffee shop chains in the UK in the last 20 years, focusing on Starbucks, Costa and Cafe Nero, all of which are in Ireland also. It also focused, to a much lesser degree, on local independent coffee shops. It was interesting in that the number of coffee shops dramatically increased during the recession years with quality coffee being seen as a luxury but an affordable one, and the mark up for the retailers being fairly substantial.

They're here to stay, expect more to pop up, but prices to stay the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

kinsy wrote: »
    What about that Coffee 2 Go place on Mespil Road? I haven't actually had a coffee from there but I've heard it is very nice. Only across the road from High Nelly's.

I find it amusing that Coffee2Go has excellent scones (they smell amazing too!) and a variety of delicious soups for lunch (great value with a cheese scone and a banana), but I never go for coffee as I find their coffee to be quite bad and burnt tasting.

I hope both Coffee2Go and the newly-branded High Nelly's realize they can get more business with better coffee and/or well-trained baristas. They should bring in a coffee consultant - I'm sure there are many that would be happy to offer their services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Have to say that the starbucks on Stephens green is definitely their nicest store in ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/retail-and-services/caffe-nero-to-spend-20m-opening-40-irish-outlets-1.1740859

Im surprised no one posted this. Cafe Nero is going to open a ton of new cafes, mainly in the suburbs of Dublin.

• Advertisement

In a nutshell, they went through the rise of the coffee shop chains in the UK in the last 20 years, focusing on Starbucks, Costa and Cafe Nero, all of which are in Ireland also. It also focused, to a much lesser degree, on local independent coffee shops. It was interesting in that the number of coffee shops dramatically increased during the recession years with quality coffee being seen as a luxury but an affordable one, and the mark up for the retailers being fairly substantial.

I saw it too. Very interesting programme.

I'm not sure if it's much different in Ireland, but despite the proliferation of the coffee chains, the independents, according to the programme stats, still cover 70% of the overall market.

Starbucks Mespil Road seems to have shut down

ScottSF wrote: »
    I find it amusing that Coffee2Go has excellent scones (they smell amazing too!) and a variety of delicious soups for lunch (great value with a cheese scone and a banana), but I never go for coffee as I find their coffee to be quite bad and burnt tasting.

Yeah I've had their scones before. Disappointing to hear the coffee is that bad but, I guess, not altogether surprising.

Coffee from Coffee 2 Go on Mespil Road is undrinkable.

Coffee from Coffee 2 Go on Mespil Road is undrinkable.

Right, that's that then...

Walk to Coffee Angel on Pembroke St so!

Right, that's that then...

Walk to Coffee Angel on Pembroke St so!

I must try Coffee Angel on Pembroke St, I haven't yet - cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

Voila is a good choice as well, but unfortunately it depends who is at the controls of the coffee machine.

Training and quality control is one of the reasons Starbucks and Costa are so successful, though I never patronize Starbucks. I'm not sure about Cafe Nero yet but they do seem to have expansion plans in Ireland now.

ScottSF wrote: »
    Voila is a good choice as well, but unfortunately it depends who is at the controls of the coffee machine.

Training and quality control is one of the reasons Starbucks and Costa are so successful, though I never patronize Starbucks. I'm not sure about Cafe Nero yet but they do seem to have expansion plans in Ireland now.

Right - I used to think it was the machines that made the coffee, then I realized it's really the person making it.
    I won't patronize Starbucks or other multinational coffee chains - I'd rather go without (or make my own).
    Thanks for giving me another place for my list - Voila.

The programme is repeated tonight on BBC2 at 2350.

More news on the coffee in Dublin 4 front - I had a perfect cup of coffee in the café in the Print Museum in Beggar's Bush off Haddington Road on Sunday, and a piece of excellent date and walnut frosted cake.
    It wasn't expensive either - eat-in, the coffee was less than €2.50, and the cake was like €2.00. It was informal, bright and lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

now we just need to legalize the weed to go along with these coffee shops

I have unintentionally become a coffee snob! It just happened. I detest the likes of Insomnia, Costa and Starbucks. Rubbish. I only like really good, high quality coffee which for me at the moment is any place that serves 3FE or Ariosa. McCabes is good too. A barista that knows what they are doing helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Has anybody tried Caffe Nero? Is it similar to other chains, or is there some defining feature?

Aard wrote: »
    Has anybody tried Caffe Nero? Is it similar to other chains, or is there some defining feature?

Where Starbuck's has nailed down the whole American coffee shop vibe, Nero's has adoped an Italian café theme. Lots of dark wood.

I feel their coffee is better, the cafes themselves are nice as well.

I prefer Insomnia every time but that's just my opinion. I just hope they don't feel any negative effect from Nero's move to Ireland.

Starbucks seems to have popped up over night on leeson street

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

haro124 wrote: »
    Starbucks seems to have popped up over night on leeson street

I remember years back the Simpsons did a piss take of Starbucks where Bart was walking down the street and every shop he passed was a Starbucks with the last shop having a sign saying 'Starbucks, Opening Soon'

I thought it was a bit over the top but having seen their recent expansion in Ireland I can see where the Simpsons writers were coming from !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

News flash - money to be made in coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Starbucks are also taking the old Golden Discs or Carphone Warehouse corner unit on North Earl St by side entrance of Clerys. Even though they have one next to Clerys on O'Connell St too and further down at the bridge. That Simpson's spoof is becoming a reality in Dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I have unintentionally become a coffee snob! It just happened. I detest the likes of Insomnia, Costa and Starbucks. Rubbish. I only like really good, high quality coffee which for me at the moment is any place that serves 3FE or Ariosa. McCabes is good too. A barista that knows what they are doing helps.

Please explain why the all of the brand chains are 'rubbish', the independents aren't, and yet they all buy coffee beans from the same wholesalers, who stock from the same imported container down the docks, which has spent the same amount of time travelling along the shipping lanes, and use the same equipment to process these beans? I don't understand where the huge disparity in quality lies. The best coffee Ive had was from my kitchen with beans from LIDL.

I've always had good coffee in Costa, Insomnia - hell I even enjoyed my name being called out in Starbucks. ...in fact the one time I had espresso from 3fe it was quite bitter and the atmosphere was so self consciously cool as to be slightly pathetic . And I say that as a beardy mac user with a record collection. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

ror_74 wrote: »
    Please explain why the all of the brand chains are 'rubbish', the independents aren't, and yet they all buy coffee beans from the same wholesalers, who stock from the same imported container down the docks, which has spent the same amount of time travelling along the shipping lanes, and use the same equipment to process these beans? I don't understand where the huge disparity in quality lies. The best coffee Ive had was from my kitchen with beans from LIDL.

I've always had good coffee in Costa, Insomnia - hell I even enjoyed my name being called out in Starbucks. ...in fact the one time I had espresso from 3fe it was quite bitter and the atmosphere was so self consciously cool as to be slightly pathetic . And I say that as a beardy mac user with a record collection. :pac:

LOL. Good coffee in Costa and insomnia. If so, can you tell me why the coffee I'm drinking is too hot? Tastes like muck?

I think you should look into speciality coffee such as that from the Konga Co-op and realise that beans coming from it are totally different to the beans that starbucks, or Lidl buy for that matter.
    That said, you can make good coffee taste ****e, but you can't make bad coffee taste good.

I used to be the same, thinking that all coffee was the same, that starbucks was the best and what was the point of going to all that effort with big fancy machines when instant did a perfectly good job. Then I stumbled across this hut on the quays one morning with a queue outside and for whatever reason decided to give it a go. Boy was I blown away. Its a completely different coffee experience.
    Likewise beer....I used to think that beer was mank, that people only drank it to get drunk, until I realised that beers outside of lagers and guinness existed.:p

And no, I don't have a record collection, I don't need skinny jeans or vinyl to experience good quality coffee and beer

Advertisement