Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really? Another Coffee shop?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

L1011 wrote: »
    Seattle, producer of behemoths of questionable virtue - Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.

I have taken many an early morning flight across the Atlantic, in Boeing jumbo jets, fueled by numerous Starbucks venti macciatos (me that is, not the plane) & kept sane, for the nine hours, by my Microsoft operated laptop. As have many others, I imagine.

People of Seattle....we salute you ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

ProudDUB wrote: »
    My sister lives in Seattle. There, they are as proud of their Starbucks, as we are of our Guinness. I know. Go figure. :rolleyes:

There is a downtown street corner, that is famous (or infamous?) because you can see no less than nine, yes NINE, different Starbucks outlets from it.

We've a way to go yet folks ! :D

That is ridiculous. I really hope the Dublin planners don't allow Starbucks to execute their saturation strategy here. But going by the Grafton St to O'Connell St corridor it appears they already are. I'm not against Starbucks being here but the planners should make sure there is space for all types of coffee shops rather allowing Starbucks to dominate.

@ror

Sounds like you got a bitter espresso when 3fe realised you didn't have your top button done up.

I haven't been there, but London is packed with these places as well. In any case, I'm a bit too old for skinny chinos and a condescending smirk to go with my cappuccino.

I love Insomnia's coffee plus they have free newspapers ftw.

Was in 3fe a couple of weeks ago and ordered a regular black coffee. It must have been one of the worst coffees I've had in a long time. It was really bitter which means the barista over extracted the shot and also it had zero crema on top.

On the way out I noticed a sign saying they were looking for staff. Seems the person who served me might have been on his first day in the job because it was terrible. I really should have sent it back but was in a rush. €3.50 too, I won't be back

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Muahahaha wrote: »
    That is ridiculous. I really hope the Dublin planners don't allow Starbucks to execute their saturation strategy here. But going by the Grafton St to O'Connell St corridor it appears they already are. I'm not against Starbucks being here but the planners should make sure there is space for all types of coffee shops rather allowing Starbucks to dominate.

Only 4 of them are actual stand alone, independent Starbucks cafes. Two of them are full service Starbucks cafes in the lobbies of multi story office buildings. Two of them are Starbucks cafes inside 2 big chain book stores, like Easons. I can't remember where/what the 9th one is, but they are all within a single, city block of each other. It's mad !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Muahahaha wrote: »

Starbucks exist only as there is a demand for them. If people didnt want starbucks, they wouldn't open more.

If you go to colleges or see what younger people are drinking. Very few are actually drinking Starbucks compared to Coffee Angel or Dublin Barista School etc. I cant imagine Starbuck doing great in the long term since tastes change and not everyone wants to spend €4 for a mug of bitter coffee when a better, cheaper alternative is around the corner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Shame to see that nice pub and one of the few remaining early houses in Dublin, The Dark Horse on Burgh or is it Georges Quay (The White Horse as some of us knew it) is now yet another Starbucks. I actually don't mind Starbucks at all but I don't like seeing them on every street corner as seemingly is becoming the case in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,533 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Starbucks are really going for it and their product is cat. About a year ago their changed their interiors into more of a European style (darker, simpler furniture) different from the quite yankee-esque look they had before.

The best thing about starbucks is they open late, even 24 hours and on Christmas day. There are far too many of them though.

Yeah its getting laughable how many of them there are in Dublin at this stage. But they are not stopping and their saturation strategy is increasing if anything
    You might think there couldn't possibly be any room left in America for another Starbucks (SBUX), but the company would beg to differ.

In fact, CEO Howard Schultz said last week the company is "significantly under-stored" in North America, which is why he wants to add many more locations. The company is planning 1,500 more stores globally this year, including 600 in North America. Many of those locations will be drive-throughs.

"We are a long ways from saturation, by the way, that's clear to us," chief financial officer Troy Alstead told The Motley Fool recently. "We have years and years and years of growth left in the U.S."

Americans don't need that much coffee, do they? As it turns out, this really isn't about coffee at all. Starbucks' expansion plan includes offering lunch and dinner to customers.

Now, combining a boatload of new drive-throughs with lunch and dinner sales starts to sound an awful lot like fast food. And while Starbucks may never turn into a burger joint like McDonald's (MCD), it's clearly got big ambitions to grab more customers at all hours of the day. It's even expanding beer, wine and snacks for the late-evening crowd. More than 1,000 U.S. stores will eventually have what Starbucks calls its "evenings" offering.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/starbucks-growth-strategy-open-more-starbucks/

That was from 2014 and relates to the US. Just imagine how much they see Europe as an untapped market. Moving into evening meals will probably place them at a price point somewhere in the middle of McDonalds and pub grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,533 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Irish cafes really should open a bit later, In our capital you can count on the one hand open cafes at 8pm, and come midnight that reduces to 1(a big yankee doodle starbucks).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I doubt many people want a coffee at 12pm at night

• Advertisement

Synode wrote: »

Youd be surprised. People once said the same about working out in the wee hours but now there are a good few 24 hour gyms across the city. Lots of shift workers dont finish till after 10pm and would welcome a place that isnt a pub and where they can wind down a bit. They dont have to have coffee, plenty of juices on offer too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Synode wrote: »

they don't only sell coffee though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

see theres a starbucks opening on East Wall Road beside the new Lidl aswell. They opened 1 last year up in the Point Village

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭CWF

Riskymove wrote: »
    How do they all stay in operation?

I work around the Baggot Street/Green area and I noticed that a recently closed Book Shop had a planning application to become a Cafe.

In our immediate area there are:

3 Insomnias
    Munchies
    2 Bon Espresso Newsagents selling coffee
    O'Briens
    KC Peaches
    Cafe Hub
    Lolly and Cooks
    Chopped (sell coffee in a.m.)
    Cafe Sol
    Rhubarb Cafe
    Cafe Italia

That's 14 outlets...soon to be 15!!

Stop gloating

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

L1011 wrote: »
    Seattle, producer of behemoths of questionable virtue - Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.

Also the producer of one Mr. James Marshall Hendrix.

All is forgiven. They'd want to be crucifying puppies in front of little girls to cancel that good karma.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Heston Blumenthal serves Nespresso instant capsules after his 400 euro tasting menu at the Fat Duck. This is a man with an eye watering level of attention to quality .

But seemingly prepared to compromise on good coffee in his place, if his temporary move to Melbourne is anything to go by. Nespresso is grand, but no-one going to mistake it for a quality coffee, given eye-watering attention to quality.

Lotus PR Founder Monica Brown and Personal Assistant to Heston says sourcing the right coffee to use for The Fat Duck Melbourne was an important consideration. “The Fat Duck in Bray used a Nespresso capsule machine for ease of use and consistency. When we came to Melbourne we knew that coffee expectations were high and the coffee scene was so impressive that the same approach just wouldn’t work. We spent time researching and testing different coffees until we came down to two roasters who we wanted to work with. Proud Mary just nudged over the line,” Monica said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Davexirl

ongarboy wrote: »
    Shame to see that nice pub and one of the few remaining early houses in Dublin, The Dark Horse on Burgh or is it Georges Quay (The White Horse as some of us knew it) is now yet another Starbucks. I actually don't mind Starbucks at all but I don't like seeing them on every street corner as seemingly is becoming the case in the city centre.

Just seen that tonight, can't believe it's now a Starbucks. I had many a great morning in the White Horse. It's a disgrace to see so many bloody Starbucks in town. Their coffee is ****e, must be tourists flocking to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Enjoyed their Christmas blend. Went back in February and it was gone:(

Advertisement