Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge to live in

Options
  • 20-02-2014 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I know this topic has been raised before but I'm looking for advice on relocating to Newbridge (We're a small family currently living in Dublin). We're looking at houses in the Moorefield Drive, Allen View area and wondering what these area's are like and what Newbridge has to offers in terms of schools and activities also what is like to cycle to the train station from that side of town ?.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭richiek83

Moonshine wrote: »
    Hi,

I know this topic has been raised before but I'm looking for advice on relocating to Newbridge (We're a small family currently living in Dublin). We're looking at houses in the Moorefield Drive, Allen View area and wondering what these area's are like and what Newbridge has to offers in terms of schools and activities also what is like to cycle to the train station from that side of town ?.

Thanks.

Hi,

I've lived in Newbridge all my life. It's a decent town but like every other town it has it's problems. Both estates that you mention there are very mature estates and are relatively quiet. Newbridge has many sports clubs in the area of soccer, gaa, rugby, hockey and volleyball. There is a golf club on the outskirts of the town. It has an arts centre on Main Street and library just off Main Street. It has a great choice of shopping including the White Water Shopping Centre with Debenhams and M&S among it's tenants. There is also a 6 screen cinema located in the centre. Facilities for young people (teenagers) in the town could be better.

As I said, Newbridge has a wide range of sports clubs operating in the town. The Liffey Park is great area for walks. You also have the Curragh which is just a few minutes drive away. There is playground in the town on Station Road. There is lots of schools in the town, ten to be precise.

With regards to cycling, there is limited cycle lanes in the town. However, either from Moorefield Drive or Allenview Heights, the train station is no more than a 5 minutes away on the bike. I know there is plan in place to upgrade the cycling facilities on Station Road. The NTA and Kildare CC will be responsible for this project.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Moonshine

Hi Richie,

Thanks for the reply, We have been down to Newbridge a few times now and it looks to be a nice town with a good range of shops and facilities. When you're not from the area it is hard to get a feel for the place. Moorefield borders with Highfield and Dara Park and it looks to have a some undesirable elements which would make me wary when we have young kids but all in all it looks like a nice busy town. The Train station makes for a handy commute to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭richiek83

Moonshine wrote: »
    Hi Richie,

Thanks for the reply, We have been down to Newbridge a few times now and it looks to be a nice town with a good range of shops and facilities. When you're not from the area it is hard to get a feel for the place. Moorefield borders with Highfield and Dara Park and it looks to have a some undesirable elements which would make me wary when we have young kids but all in all it looks like a nice busy town. The Train station makes for a handy commute to Dublin.

No problem Moonshine. I know what you mean. It does border both estates you mention. I commute myself by train to Dublin and I have to say that the train service is relatively good with plenty of options at peak times. An express train (i.e first stop Newbridge will get from Heuston to Newbridge in about 23 minutes). Commuter services take approx 40 minutes which is still not too bad.

Anyway, best of luck with the move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Are high field and dara park the only two areas of new bridge to avoid? Have a friend looking at The Oaks, the meadows, curragh close and college farm. She is a first time buyer and not a local so any advice I can pass on would be great. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

My parents live in The Oaks and it's grand. The main gripe I'd have is the parking on the roads, even though all the houses have driveways. It can be like doing a slalom run, but I don't drive so it's not a problem for me. You can hear of break-ins too but that can happen anywhere. I probably just hear about the ones in The Oaks because my family lives there.

I don't know much about The Meadows, Curragh Close, and College Farm but I've never heard anything bad. They are newer estates than The Oaks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭silverview

The meadows is a grand spot to live. Its nice and quite with young families. To my knowledge there has never been any trouble in the meadows.

Advertisement